Port Cover For Hard Mod?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by SnowBird, Mar 17, 2015.

1. SnowBird
    OP

SnowBird Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2015
    United States
    In preparation to hard mod my 3DS (for NAND dumping/flashing) I went and looked up a couple tutorials on the web about it. something that struck me as odd was in the end of the tutorial they would leave the port (the one that they added to the outside of the 3ds for NAND access) uncovered. This seems weird to me because shouldn't there be concerns about ESD and the fact that you have connections directly to the motherboard now outside the console? So my question really is, is it a good idea to get something to cover that port on the 3DS or is this not necessary. Also, if this is a good idea, where would i be able to find a cover for this (I plan on using a standard 4 pin fan cable).

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Margen67 likes this.
  3. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    You could always cover it with a piece of electrical tape if you can't find something to fit, but I wouldn't worry about it. Ports go uncovered all the time. Usually if they are covered it's just to keep dust out or make it look neater.

4. SnowBird
    OP

SnowBird Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2015
    United States
    Is there something more recommended then a fan connector? I dont want to use a micro USB port because i know someone is going to think that it is actually for connecting VIA usb and then bad things will likely happen.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah i dont suggest using a usb port, heard 2 stories so far of fried nand's when people have just plugged them into a normal USB cable, it depends where you put the port tbh, you can fit a mini jst port under the battery cover if your worried about it getting stuff stuck in it like this
    [​IMG]

that way its always covered up unless you need it

Suthek likes this.
  6. SnowBird
    OP

SnowBird Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2015
    United States
    Ok, I like this idea, thank you for the help.

7. mrbits

mrbits GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    How come that only seems to have 2 connectors? I am interested in putting a nand access port in a similar location

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    it has 4, there is just 2 holes in the plastic that are there to keep the connector plugged in secure, that make it look weird.....the 4 lines going down are the pins inside the connects, they aren't joined up or anything

9. Jaitsu

Jaitsu Yet Another GBATemp Furry

Jun 2, 2015
    United States
  10. mrbits

mrbits GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Oh I see, it's a male connector rather than a female one. I was thinking you'd usually have a female one in there, but I guess whatever fits best

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That has the SD card reader built in, and is the best way to do NAND mods. Most people don't do it that way though, because it's more work, and there's very little space to work with so you have to use a tiny MicroSD reader that will fit (and it also has to be able to read MMC). A switch is also required to be able to disconnect one of the pins from the SD card reader to allow the 3DS to boot correctly when the reader isn't in use.
    It's designed to be used with a regular Micro USB, so you can use your phone charging cable, camera cable etc. A lot more convenient and safe:)

12. Jaitsu

Jaitsu Yet Another GBATemp Furry

Jun 2, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, I've been thinking about doing a hard-mod, and that definitely seems like it'd be worth the extra effort... even if my soldering skills could use some work. Oh well, at least the really tightly-spaced pins are on the reader, not on the board; on the board they seem pretty decently spaced and accessible.