OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't find any verified info in the jumble of crap google returns for this.

Is POPs full emulation, or is it just something akin to WINE, which is an API translation layer and not an actual emulator since it's not sticking the program in a virtual machine and having to emulate the hardware at the same time?

The second ones makes more sense since it's still got the same CPU instructions available to it and would explain how things still run at full speed, but many people refer to WINE as an emulator (even though it's name is Wine Is Not Emulator) because of it's job and not the actual technical tasks it performs, so it's likely the same for most people dealing with POPs.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
POPS (PlayStation One Portable Station) is an emulator with direct access to hardware, along with a software render for the rest. It is a full, honest to goodness emulator, not an API translation layer.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lilsypha said:
POPS (PlayStation One Portable Station) is an emulator with direct access to hardware, along with a software render for the rest. It is a full, honest to goodness emulator, not an API translation layer.

It's not an emulator. The PSP already has backwards compability with games. Popsloader was made because of Sony''s 5.00 Firmware which somehow made most of the PSX games not working, which is why Popsloader plugin was made. I think you'd rather make sure of your information before even posting it. -.-

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
insidexdeath said:
lilsypha said:

It's not an emulator. The PSP already has backwards compability with games. Popsloader was made because of Sony''s 5.00 Firmware which somehow made most of the PSX games not working, which is why Popsloader plugin was made. I think you'd rather make sure of your information before even posting it. -.-

Uh, yes it is. Popsloader is a piece of software that allows you to CHOOSE different versions of POPS to run depending on what game you're trying to run. POPS is the official emulator created by Sony.

Don't be rude, especially when you're flat-out wrong.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yet none of what you typed makes it an emulator huh? It just loads pops version of previous official firmwares which are compatible with few PSX games and some games use the same pops and some don't even need the popsloader, that's why you need to choose a different pops for each game. I'm going to say this again if the PSP needed PSX emulator then how come official PSN PSOne classics work without a popsloader and they're in the same format as the converted ISOs which are EBOOTS. AGAIN the PSP has backwards compability with PSX games.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Because they run from the pops in the flash of that firmware....no popsloader required.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
insidexdeath said:
Yet none of what you typed makes it an emulator huh? It just loads pops version of previous official firmwares which are compatible with few PSX games and some games use the same pops and some don't even need the popsloader, that's why you need to choose a different pops for each game. I'm going to say this again if the PSP needed PSX emulator then how come official PSN PSOne classics work without a popsloader and they're in the same format as the converted ISOs which are EBOOTS. AGAIN the PSP has backwards compability with PSX games.

LOL

Read Xist's reply, and Rydian's further reply. It sounds like you need a little more PSP education.
smile.gif

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Again none of that makes it an emulator. HAHA I think you need English education+PSP education. PSP has backwards compability with PSX games. I've been into the scene since 1.50 OFW some games can run without the popsloader required which makes the popsloader not an emulator but a plugin that forces the games to run by using the pops. That wiki the guy posted doesn't say it's an emulator read carefully.

Answer this question: Why do some of the PSX games not require popsloader to be used?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
insidexdeath said:
Answer this question: Why do some of the PSX games not require popsloader to be used?
Because they run fine with the built-in version of POPS on whatever firmware you're running. :|

POPSloader just allows you to select a POPS version other than built-in incase the version that's built into your firmware has trouble with a specific game and you need to use an older version.
http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?title...patibility_List
Read the hundreds of compatibility notes there and see for yourself.

And whether it's built-in or not does not affect whether it's an emulator or not in the first place!
I gave WINE as an example (it runs windows games on linux, but it's not an emulator), yet WINE is included by default in the *buntu and Mint linux distributions.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly, what Rydan said. Now someone understands what I meant. Also, Rydan I didn't say popsloader had nothing to do with loading the PSX games on PSP, it's just the fact that he said it's an emulator made it wrong.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
lilsypha said:

insidexdeath said:

QUOTE(insidexdeath @ Aug 15 2010, 01:53 PM)
Exactly, what Rydan said. Now someone understands what I meant.

You don't even understand what you originally meant.....let alone anyone else....
blink.gif

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
insidexdeath said:
Are you fucking retarded?

Hey dipshit here's a news flash. PopsLOADER is not POPS. POPS itself is the emulators, popsLOADER is a completely different pluggin for custom firmwares to choose which version of POPS you want to load for better compatibility with different games.

Stop posting when you have no clue what you are talking about and making yourself look like a retard.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I'm going to close this now -- not only has the question been properly answered, I'd like to save "insidexdeath" from making even more of a fool of himself. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ughh the C64 version looks almost as bad lol