Poll: Your thoughts on the Switch

359211-switch-thoughts.png

As the day of the Nintendo Switch conference and hands-on impressions draws to a close and the beans have been thoroughly spilled, we want to ask you - what do you think?

What are your impressions on the overall unveiling of the Switch given the pricing, games and hardware capabilities? Will you be Switching? Perhaps you've already pre-ordered one.

Vote in the poll and let us know! And be sure to share your comments in the thread below.

:switch:

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Nintendo really started hyping this thing before the specs leaked, they claimed it was almost as powerful as the XBox One. Even it was only 75%, that thought was genuinely exciting. If THAT deviced had launched for $299, no one would be complaining. What I expect is that a device that's probably about 3x more powerful that the PS3 not counting the RAM shouldn't cost $300 USD. If this thing had started At $199, even with the less than stellar launch list, I think it would've been fine. If Nintendo wasn't doing that stupid shit with renting their VC games with the paid online, it'd be fine. Normal priced controllers and accessories, fine. Remember the 3DS? After all the die hard earlier adopters bought theirs, that thing started to bomb hard. At least until the price drop. I imagine the same thing will happen here. There is nothing to justify what any of this crap is costing.
nah, that was emily rogers that said that. shouldn't blame nintendo for 3rd hand gossip.

as far as cost for tech, you shoukd probably wait till we actually know what the tech is. all we know now is it's got a shit ton more tech than two wiimotes for controllers, and runs better than the wii u. 300 really doesn't seem that high.

thoigh pro controller seems way too expensive, and many of the accessories (though not all), this be true.

Last edited by osaka35,

vegaskid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's the best Nintendo ever play at home and play anyware has carts too no dumb disk errors plus if you don't like it you must be broke.

Last edited by vegaskid,

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all of the people who are screaming that we don't know for sure, let's take a pause for a second. At this point before their release, we knew with about 99% accuracy what was in almost every console that's been released from the 360 forward. The specs leak. People got the clock speeds wrong on the Vita and the N3DS, but everything else was pretty well known in the last couple of months leading up to the release date. Nintendo has never told us what the hardware had been in any of their past several releases aside from a couple of vague descriptions. They're not going to tell us what's in the Switch when it launches. We won't 'know' until it's fully hacked, most likely. We do, however, have a VERY good idea. If it's vastly different than the leaked specs, I'll be stunned. And I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna be stunned.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stock/share holders should be happy. Gamestop US revealed they sold out of pre orders and converted thier entire count into pre orders. Those too have sold out. So it seems if you didn't pre order in the US, you may not be able to buy one for sometime. Walmart and best buy pre sold thier entire stocks as well. So regardless of many people thinking ill of the switch, the general population disagrees

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Stock/share holders should be happy. Gamestop US revealed they sold out of pre orders and converted thier entire count into pre orders. Those too have sold out. So it seems if you didn't pre order in the US, you may not be able to buy one for sometime. Walmart and best buy pre sold thier entire stocks as well. So regardless of many people thinking ill of the switch, the general population disagrees
Amazon is sold out as well, although they may be holding back their neon consoles for sale up to this point. BotW SE and ME sold out pretty much everywhere.

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I would share a couple of my own thoughts. Then watch some of you tear them apart. ;)
I foresee a Wii U game becoming worth a little bit of money down the road. Video game collecting is of course most of the time comprised of rare games like most other things that people collect, but not necessarily good games. (Does E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial ring a bell?) So what contributes to rare video games other than horrible gameplay with an extra dose of shit that nobody ever wanted to buy? Publishing a game for a system that is at its end of life of course. Now does That ring any bells? That's right, BOTW. Now, I'm not saying you're going to get rich. But if you check out twilight princess for the gamecube, and then the Wii on ebay you might be a little surprised. The Wii version can be had for a little under $20, while the gamecube version is around $45 -$50. So I think I might get BOTW for the Wii U, and the Switch, and leave the Wii U version unopened. Not to make money off of, but to add to my game and console collection.
The other thing that I wanted to bring up is about the joycons having a button just for taking and sharing screenshots. It's on the left joycon, and Nintendo says that a little after launch it will support video capture. maybe i'm wrong here, but I thought it an od use of much coveted real estate space. but it got me thinking. Nintendo is finally taking a big step into the online realm. We all know why they have been so hesitant about real online game play and the whole friend code BS. Their market target is the younger crowd. Sure, we all have a fond place in our hearts for mario, and other characters we grew up playing. A lot of us now have kids of our own, and the thought of our kids playing online with someone sending d*ck picks, or getting even more creative and doing burnouts in the sand in the shape of a d*ck in mario kart. I can't help but wonder if this screenshot/video capture button is there to help moderate these type of problems. I know it's a stretch, but it would justify adding a button for that on a space starved controller.

Reactions: vincentx77

ikral

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
For $300 you get portable console, home console and two controllers. Now, it could be cheaper, but then again, why would it be if it's selling well?

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I would share a couple of my own thoughts. Then watch some of you tear them apart. ;)
I foresee a Wii U game becoming worth a little bit of money down the road. Video game collecting is of course most of the time comprised of rare games like most other things that people collect, but not necessarily good games. (Does E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial ring a bell?) So what contributes to rare video games other than horrible gameplay with an extra dose of shit that nobody ever wanted to buy? Publishing a game for a system that is at its end of life of course. Now does That ring any bells? That's right, BOTW. Now, I'm not saying you're going to get rich. But if you check out twilight princess for the gamecube, and then the Wii on ebay you might be a little surprised. The Wii version can be had for a little under $20, while the gamecube version is around $45 -$50. So I think I might get BOTW for the Wii U, and the Switch, and leave the Wii U version unopened. Not to make money off of, but to add to my game and console collection.
The other thing that I wanted to bring up is about the joycons having a button just for taking and sharing screenshots. It's on the left joycon, and Nintendo says that a little after launch it will support video capture. maybe i'm wrong here, but I thought it an od use of much coveted real estate space. but it got me thinking. Nintendo is finally taking a big step into the online realm. We all know why they have been so hesitant about real online game play and the whole friend code BS. Their market target is the younger crowd. Sure, we all have a fond place in our hearts for mario, and other characters we grew up playing. A lot of us now have kids of our own, and the thought of our kids playing online with someone sending d*ck picks, or getting even more creative and doing burnouts in the sand in the shape of a d*ck in mario kart. I can't help but wonder if this screenshot/video capture button is there to help moderate these type of problems. I know it's a stretch, but it would justify adding a button for that on a space starved controller.

Bayonetta 2 (especially with Bayonetta 1) and Toyko Mirage Sessions #FE (especially LE) are probably going to be worth a fuck ton. Maybe BoTW, especially if everyone gets it on the Switch. And of course, there will always be something stupid you'd never think of in a million years that sucks but had a low print run so collectors want it anyway (God, that was a run on).

Dan-the-Rebirth

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
to put my thoughts on the switch in a few words: to many ports/remakes and a to small screen, but lets wait and see how good the games can look on it

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
I honestly don't get this logic. It doesn't have a very good DAY ONE launch lineup, but the launch window titles are pretty impressive (for instance, Zelda and mainline Mario game in the first year of a console's release?? When has that EVER happened?!). It gets even more ridiculous when you compare it to the launches of the PS4 and XB1 (PS4 launch was populated by shovelware/cheap titles/semi-yearly rehashes with a few actually good games, XB1 was... well... Microsoft style games, so you know how those go), yet no one complains about them

There have been lots of complaints about the ps4 launch. It just did not take a long time before 3rd parties dropped a considerable amount of support by releasing very soon, so after a couple of months nobody cared anymore. Nintendo might do the same but i won't bet on 3rd party support until i see it. Excluding indie i mean.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
What I'm baffled by is why anyone expected anything differently. microsoft/sony's plan seems to be leverage the "upgrade itch" and less about the funness. standardization of gaming tech isn't an ideal situation, and it baffles me non-conformity enrages so many people. Nintendo's plans are built around what tech they can use to make fun games. Why do you think you need a 4k 160hz IPS touchscreen with 20hrs battery life playing 200GB cartridges and using tech that hasn't been created yet just to play pc games about the same as a decent PC build is....weird.

What exactly were you expecting exactly? This is exactly what I expected, and I'm loving everything about it. it's a wii u+ as a new gameboy. How is that NOT awesome?

Minus the accessory prices. Those stink. I'm assuming the pro controller price has something to do with forcing people to get comfortable with the standard joycon controllers, rather than just assuming they stink and going for the xbox controller.

You are right in explaining people's expectations but the industry has switched (pun not intended) to a model where they will only take the plunge to bring expensive and AAA titles to machines that are easy to port to. The idea that Nintendo is different is very welcome. It is the LACK of comprehension of the video games industry as it stands nowadays that makes people angry, because it WILL put Nintendo deeper in manufacturer hell. We want Nintendo to thrive and to be a company we pride ourselves aligning with. I am tired of being bullied because Nintendo will fuck up in pretty much all departments but innovation, leading to almost no 3rd party support at all. You say sony and ms only leverage the upgrade itch without focusing on the funnes. It might be right, however, exactly because of the way the industry works today, this is exactly the behaviour that brings titles people want on their machines, which at the end of the day leads to FUN. I had more than 50x times the fun on my ps4 than my WiiU. Not because of bad quality software on the WiiU or because it was not powerful enough when it came out but because it did not attract developers.

Nintendo can make their fluffy games all year long on fast and slow hardware. AAA titles will never come to slow hardware or completely different architectures. You can fight conformity and still deliver on all other aspects. I am asking again, what would it mean, if nintendo produced 2 Switches, one for home, one mobile, where the differences are that the home one is a beast without ANY mobile capabilities, matching the ps4 pro and the mobile one being either what it is or something similar? The home console would be priced at the same level as the ps4 pro, leading to the SAME EXACT games people buy the ps4 for and having the mobile market so close at hand, by downgrading the game a bit would be the best of both worlds.

They could give people a choice. Do you want a portable? Do you prefer a home console? I cannot see why i MUST pay for yet another tablet with a touchscreen etc etc etc when all i really will do with the switch is play in the tv. Especially now that we know it is going to be massively underclocked when not docked.

Still don't get it. They shove many features for which many people do not care about and cost money then obviously they sell at a price which raises eyebrows. I like Nintendo's approach when it comes to innovation but they are *completely* out of touch with reality and long term planning.

At the end, i am paying a lot of money for a console mode i will never ever use, for a home console that price to performance speaking is severely lacking and for what? Joining the software modes of mobile + home is awesome but it could be done in a better way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For $300 you get portable console, home console and two controllers. Now, it could be cheaper, but then again, why would it be if it's selling well?

I do not care for cheaper, i have all the money i need to outstock the local Game out of controllers. It is *fair* pricing i am angry about. It is not like we did not bankroll Nintendo through the good and bad already. They should treat at least their ambassadors and close followers with more respect and not treat you like an idiot, selling you yesteryear's technology at eye watering prices. At least have some kind of rewards/upgrade plan whatever. Something to at least buy a few of the things in a bundle and not separately. They are really milking the cow this time around.

Reactions: DrkBeam

dorayaki95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
1) It is $470 AUD in australia. Thats like $351 USD. And there's no bundled game. Hugely disappointed. Unless Nintendo can convince me that this could do basic stuffs an iPad could do, like surfing the web fluidly, youtube, and file manager for PDFsso I dont have to bring my iPad everywhere

2) The concept is very cool. It's a plus point that nintendo finally ditched the pressure-sensitive touchscreen in favour of capacitive one.

3) The Joy-cons remind me of the Wii remote, but now much more advanced. It seems like Nintendo could implement VR in the future with the Joy-cons.

Finally, if the Switch is slapped with an Apple logo at the back, I believe people would flock and buy it on Day 1 (without all the complaints and comparisons that it is more expensive than ps4 slim or xbox one)

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
I am so insanely disappointed the limited editions for Zelda BOTW in Europe. WTF I want that carrying case.
The prices for the console and accessories is INSANE. Think I'm going to have to sell part of my collection to afford it all.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am so insanely disappointed the limited editions for Zelda BOTW in Europe. WTF I want that carrying case.
The prices for the console and accessories is INSANE. Think I'm going to have to sell part of my collection to afford it all.
TBH I was really looking into preordering the LE just for the carrying case.
Now I see it is not there, they can go get fucked.
I will wait and buy the normal edition of the game whenever I find it not giving two fucks about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...