Pokemon Scarlet / Violet performance issues

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BOTW is a very poor example of what the switch can actually do. but yet again I live in a world where there are idiots that think the ps3 is anywhere close to as powerful as the switch.
Yeah, but it is a very good example of how you can have a game that doesn't look as shitty as Legends Arceus without huge frame drops.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but it is a very good example of how you can have a game that doesn't look as shitty as Legends Arceus without huge frame drops.
BOTW framerate really wasn't that great especially in the lost woods but people were completely blinded by that game and ignored any and every single flaw. its nowhere near the masterpiece people like to pretend it is

Garuda357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
It only makes me sad when every discussion about the switch these days seems to derail on about how so much bad it is as if that mattered really at the end. What matters is how engaging a game can get to you and how performance is part of this, in the case of the topic for this thread.

BotW isn't a flawless game (and it is true there's too many people who think that's the case), but it is a years old example whenever you want to compare performance of open world games on Switch. Xenoblade 2 is another years old example. Since these were released there's both better performing and worse performing games with similar characteristics on Switch. One can be quick to notice that there's indeed hardware sided limitations that show when the game, even when most of it has been optimized for performance, shows stuff like FPS drops, like the infamous Lost Woods moments of BotW. Some others related to texture loading, in games such as Xenoblade 2. But then there's performance issues that are solely tied to how well crafted a game is put together.

We already went past this when the initial base release of BDSP dropped to name a fresh pokemon related release, it was an incomplete game that had performance issues, which were eventually patched mostly with day 1 patches and so. I'd not be surprised if Scarlet and Violet are also meant to be "complete" with such patches. It is very clear that most of the performance issues on it currently as of v1.0 are not tied to hardware, but legitimate incompetent developing.

Back in the Sword and Shield release days we have to remember all the issues these games caused on release, including stuff like corrupting save files even. Should games release like this on cartridge? Absolutely no. And I'm also not a hater of Pokemon, I like it very much. But it is true Game Freak isn't the best coder and they still refuse to collaborate with other teams apparently, unlike how BotW was helped by the people of Xenoblade to make maps and stuff.

I conclude saying that it is understandable criticism really, to complain about the current status of Pokemon gen9 base release on a cartridge. I also think it is fair to look down on switch and its specs, love it or hate it. But it isn't ok to downplay when others point at better performing games (even if these too have their own flaws at some parts) with similar characteristics (mainly being open world) as if all these other Switch games were completely unplayable and not engaging due to performance, which is obviously not the case for most.

Sorry for the long post.

pp2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely a hardware issue. They design a game then they have to make it work on a Nintendo Switch. Pokemon was never ready to go 3d when they were top-down game design for 2 decades.

You ride on the back of the monster and its running faster than the assets can load and you frequently run into a hoard, its annoying.
You mean that is my pc hardwer problem?

Valkri599

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It looks better than I thought but honestly, it plays exactly as expected and shown in trailers. GameFreak is pretty weak at optimization and always have been, its just clearly not a priority for them. Even Nintendo themselves seems to not want to give them technical support to make the best use of their hardware for some reason.

But also it's just the Switch itself. Pokemon could definitely utilize the hardware better but the Switch is going into year 6 and was already underpowered at the time. Many, many games have hit the hardware celling and will only continue to sadly.

There's only so much overclocking and hacks can do when we've been due for a hardware level refresh.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BOTW framerate really wasn't that great especially in the lost woods but people were completely blinded by that game and ignored any and every single flaw. its nowhere near the masterpiece people like to pretend it is
Okay, but I don't really care what 'people' say and that's not really relevant. Like I said I wasn't pointing to it like it's the masterpiece of Switch games. It just has objectively better performance than Gamefreak's efforts on the Switch thus far, and they'd benefit from trying to replicate similar results.

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Scarlet... At the beginning, the chick takes you to a lighthouse to show you the overworld and it looks like a PSP game. The grass is terrible, the player movement is worse than Arceus, the pop in is hilarious, the battles have input lag.

I actually felt like laughing at that lighthouse scene, it was supposed to be some big majestic showing of the environment but some of the flora looked so bad, I even thought of n64 xD. By itself it wouldn't matter the most since .. I mean I can enjoy old games, but the framerate is what really got to me.

On another note, I think the ball throwing mechanic was simplified so that kids would have less trouble too. So it seems worse than Arceus but really it's that they made it simpler in how it works.

Valkri599

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
On another note, I think the ball throwing mechanic was simplified so that kids would have less trouble too. So it seems worse than Arceus but really it's that they made it simpler in how it works.
-psst-
It's still a kids franchise first and foremost no matter how old we get and still love it:rofl:

Either way one thing I'm glad they did is have some decent resolution scaling going. The opening is crisp as heck and so are indoor areas. But oof when you hit outside the scaling kicks in super hard. Not to mention their PS1 era dithering/transparency to lower hardware strain. Then again, Bayonetta 3 does the same.

Switch performance compromises are really annoying visually thats for sure. Sad few devs outside of Nintendo themselves navigate it cleanly it seems.

I will be happy though if some of the visual bugs can be ironed out with patches (which is what I assume will happen over performance) the lighthouse in the opening had a Lechonk clipping through it and appearing to walk through it for me lol.

Last edited by Valkri599,
Reactions: Windsall

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Should games release like this on cartridge? Absolutely no.

Yeah personally i think they should aim for quality from the getgo, it looks bad to me when version 1.0 has obvious issues or is incomplete.

Personally I love the swtich. It's my favorite console of all time :D. I can be a little understanding if they aim high and it's hard to develop well for performance, but I think for good companies it's not a good excuse and they should really not release it if it's not in a certain standard. I'd rather it be delayed than relying on patches, in my case.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, but I don't really care what 'people' say and that's not really relevant. Like I said I wasn't pointing to it like it's the masterpiece of Switch games. It just has objectively better performance than Gamefreak's efforts on the Switch thus far, and they'd benefit from trying to replicate similar results.
and yet with this reply you are showing you are just as blind as the rest ignoring the BOTW frame drops around every corner

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But also it's just the Switch itself. Pokemon could definitely utilize the hardware better but the Switch is going into year 6 and was already underpowered at the time. Many, many games have hit the hardware celling and will only continue to sadly.
we can stop parroting now we get it people think they sound intelligent saying the same nonsense while ignoring switch games that look and perform vastly better than any other game mentioned in this thread

Reactions: Raven91

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
and yet with this reply you are showing you are just as blind as the rest ignoring the BOTW frame drops around every corner
Alright dude, seems you just really want to argue about BotW and I'm not interested in that. I've made my point clear enough and I suspect you understand well enough, and you're just bored.

sharaku95

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Get sys-clk and use this settings:

CPU: Do not overide
GPU: 691 Mhz
MEM: 1600 Mhz

That will give you full texture resolution, no frame drops and more overall stability without over-stressing the console
Enjoy! ;)

Are these Settings in sys-clk for handheld, handheld_charging, handheld_charging_usb or handheld_charging_usb_official ?

Or did you put these values everywhere?

Reactions: Windsall

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright dude, seems you just really want to argue about BotW and I'm not interested in that. I've made my point clear enough and I suspect you understand well enough, and you're just bored.
only point you have made is you ignore its flaws just like the rest there are better open worlds on the switch with better graphics and performance. in comparison they are both massive downgrades

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
only point you have made is you ignore its flaws just like the rest there are better open worlds on the switch with better graphics and performance. in comparison they are both massive downgrades
No, I acknowledge its flaws. I said it ran far better and looks far better than Gamefreak's efforts with Pokemon games on the Switch. It can be both flawed and run better, those things aren't mutually exclusive. You yourself said that Arceus struggled maintaining 30FPS most of the time.

You seem to think I'm secretly some diehard fanboy of the game and you're trying to get me to denounce it or something. Not everything is Red vs. Blue, just calm down. It's not that serious.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
this alone is my point it didn't look "far better" and hide its horrible graphics behind cel shading. it didn't run better and was mid 20FPS most of the time with lost woods hurting it even more
You know what, it doesn't even matter. I'm not interested in fighting against your personal hatred of BotW because my original point was exactly what you've reiterated: there are games that run far better on the Switch.

Gamefreak needs to learn how to optimise their creations rather than be given stronger hardware. That's all I was saying.

Reactions: Briglia00

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think