Pokemon Scarlet / Violet performance issues

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just think you're way off. The graphics weren't great, but so far what I've seen in Scarlet is worse
Scarlet looks factually better in every way and I get a constant 30FPS with docked mode resolution. the sysclk I use auto sets the cpu/gpu so the cpu is most of the time around 612Mhz and the GPU is around 768Mhz most of the time without any issue. wonder if you are confusing frame drops with it autosaving after things such as battles which can cause slight stalls in just about any game

Reactions: Youkai

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Scarlet looks factually better in every way and I get a constant 30FPS with docked mode resolution. the sysclk I use auto sets the cpu/gpu so the cpu is most of the time around 612Mhz and the GPU is around 768Mhz most of the time without any issue. wonder if you are confusing frame drops with it autosaving after things such as battles which can cause slight stalls in just about any game
I'll have to say that you're just plain wrong.
There's not much else I can say if you think that, and no point in just going back and forth on that. So how about agreeing to disagree for now.

I'm talking about normal frame rate. not even when it dips, no auto saving, just walking around. It's pretty bad that it does also dip as bad as it does too.

mitrium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll have to say that you're just plain wrong.
There's not much else I can say if you think that, and no point in just going back and forth on that. So how about agreeing to disagree for now.

I'm talking about normal frame rate. not even when it dips, no auto saving, just walking around. It's pretty bad that it does also dip as bad as it does too.
Just use sys-clk and problem solved, no reason to discuss over something that is so easy to solve. Enjoy the game :)

Reactions: deathblade200

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just use sys-clk and problem solved, no reason to discuss over something that is so easy to solve. Enjoy the game :)

I likely won't, because I want to play online once the official release happens. And if i get used to good frame rate then it'll be even harder to switch over because of how it'll feel xD.

I appreciate the info and option for if I or others want to do that though

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I likely won't, because I want to play online once the official release happens. And if i get used to good frame rate then it'll be even harder to switch over because of how it'll feel xD.

I appreciate the info and option for if I or others want to do that though
but I straight up said it works fine in docked mode with even lower cpu than official docked clocks

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but I straight up said it works fine in docked mode with even lower cpu than official docked clocks
I played in docked mode too. I didn't notice a significant difference for fps. Obviously it'll change the resolution but it's easier to notice the texture flaws too.

zhain3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pokemon LEgend Arceus ha d the same issue. Leaked the game some days before release but had poor performance that someone had to post some 30 fps fix to actually play the game normally. The patch on day one fixed that on normal console

Reactions: Windsall

NextChallenger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's disappointing but it's also Game Freak we're talking about here.

Unfortunately, it takes a long time to work ones way up to the standard you expect - even for as much money as Game Freak pulls in from these games, it's also a matter of hiring and cultivating talent, developing and improving an engine, etc... and while Game Freak is getting better, they're also still as behind as they've ever been.

This game is a tremendous step toward the kind of Pokemon games I've always wanted, but they need to get their stuff together so that these games look better and feel better to play. Ideally they begin using a middleware engine like Unreal soon so that they're not as held back by their own weird engine and its constraints - but all things considered I still think Scarlett looks a lot better than I expected it to

zhain3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
it's disappointing but it's also Game Freak we're talking about here.

Unfortunately, it takes a long time to work ones way up to the standard you expect - even for as much money as Game Freak pulls in from these games, it's also a matter of hiring and cultivating talent, developing and improving an engine, etc... and while Game Freak is getting better, they're also still as behind as they've ever been.

This game is a tremendous step toward the kind of Pokemon games I've always wanted, but they need to get their stuff together so that these games look better and feel better to play. Ideally they begin using a middleware engine like Unreal soon so that they're not as held back by their own weird engine and its constraints - but all things considered I still think Scarlett looks a lot better than I expected it to
the problem for me atm its not graphically, i could pass over the low texture of grass etc(even if right now its at last the third game they do with a low level graphic that is almost unacceptable in 2022). the real problem is the framerate. As it was in Swoshi i could pass over the low poli trees but we need at last a stable framerate. Hope its a leaked version problem

NextChallenger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as an aside, if you think Arceus looks better then I really wonder how selective you're being with your criteria lol

Arceus worldmaps are barren heightmaps with low res textures bolstered only by unusually high mipmap and specular highlights. Those maps feel amateur compared to what I've seen in Scarlett, which - for all of its issues with pop in and low res textures/low lod - feels like it boasts a much more intricately designed aesthetic throughout.

Pokemon models are higher poly in Arceus but that's about all I'll give Arceus - even the textures are just repeated tiles painted on the ground like something out of Sims, and the shader model in Arceus is simply worse by FAR than what we've seen in Scarlett, which boasts a rudimentary PBR pipeline and newly implemented lighting techniques that together help to create a much more cohesive and varied look.

Art style is arguable - I love Arceus art style even if the visuals are decidedly simple - but I think Scarlett and Violet's overall aesthetic is very nice and simply more well rounded than in Arceus despite its obvious flaws, performance issues, LOD issues, low res textures, etc. Arceus looks like an enhanced 3DS game in a lot of ways

They really gotta fix the performance though

Last edited by NextChallenger,
Reactions: mitrium

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
as an aside, if you think Arceus looks better then I really wonder how selective you're being with your criteria lol

Arceus worldmaps are barren heightmaps with low res textures bolstered only by unusually high mipmap and specular highlights. Those maps feel amateur compared to what I've seen in Scarlett, which - for all of its issues with pop in and low res textures/low lod - feels like it boasts a much more intricately designed aesthetic throughout.

Pokemon models are higher poly in Arceus but that's about all I'll give Arceus - even the textures are just repeated tiles painted on the ground like something out of Sims, and the shader model in Arceus is simply worse by FAR than what we've seen in Scarlett, which boasts a rudimentary PBR pipeline and newly implemented lighting techniques that together help to create a much more cohesive and varied look.

Art style is arguable - I love Arceus art style even if the visuals are decidedly simple - but I think Scarlett and Violet's overall aesthetic is very nice and simply more well rounded than in Arceus despite its obvious flaws, performance issues, LOD issues, low res textures, etc. Arceus looks like an enhanced 3DS game in a lot of ways

They really gotta fix the performance though
I don't know if you were referring to me but honestly my focus is on the frame rate, and I feel it makes the biggest difference in my experience since I care less about good graphics. I do notice it more here though xD, I maybe also felt that the bright visuals they're going for didn't blend as well, but that's more something aesthetic.

They could have low poly and less densely populated, though maybe that is why arceus's fps isn't as bad, i dunno.
But yes, i hope the patch helps xD
Post automatically merged:

Pokemon LEgend Arceus ha d the same issue. Leaked the game some days before release but had poor performance that someone had to post some 30 fps fix to actually play the game normally. The patch on day one fixed that on normal console
let's hope xD

putti

nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then maybe wait for the official release instead of complaining about v1.0.0?
Like the game isn't supposed to be out until 18th, yet you are here complaining about the unofficial version of the game.
Like I am not saying don't complain. It's just a lil unfair for them that you are soley judging based on the pirated version. (Which shouldn't be discussed on GBATemp I think)

Windsall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Then maybe wait for the official release instead of complaining about v1.0.0?
Like the game isn't supposed to be out until 18th, yet you are here complaining about the unofficial version of the game.
Like I am not saying don't complain. It's just a lil unfair for them that you are soley judging based on the pirated version. (Which shouldn't be discussed on GBATemp I think)
Why would I wait 'instead' of complaining, when I can do both?
It's good to be able to vent and let it out you know. not just keep it in.

For all I know it's the final version of the base game, it's late enough that it could've been a cart in some factory that someone used for it. It might not though so I'm holding out that either that or a patch will improve the performance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle