Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
How about a Pokemon game not for kids? Aiming it at older teens?

Making it a bit more like the show...strategy! Multi-tasking just like in the anime.

Co-oping with other trainers in & outside of the game?

Choosing which pokemon to have by your side?(i think its cute)

I think these few things would make the game a bit more fun.
happy.gif

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Escapa said:
How about a Pokemon game not for kids? Aiming it at older teens?

Making it a bit more like the show...strategy! Multi-tasking just like in the anime.

Co-oping with other trainers in & outside of the game?

Choosing which pokemon to have by your side?(i think its cute)

I think these few things would make the game a bit more fun.
happy.gif

the anime is pure tosh in terms of being canonical to actual gameplay. multitasking is already rearing it's head what with EVs, IVs, double battles, triple battles, the change of attack types and categories.

multiplayer co-op might be a good idea, esp with the DS's wireless capabilities.

isn't that implemented in SS/HG??? ( i think it isn't in B/W though) or do you mean kinda like the pokewalker???

what people don't understand is that pokemon HAS changed. like i said, there are now EVs, IVs, double and triple battles, and the addition of attack types. in case anyone here has been under a rock,it has already changed the multiplayer element, and especially competitive play. wasn't the point of the ORIGINAL pokemon to collect, trade, battle and interact with others? the modern iterations of the game have enhanced that experience and added to it's complexity (til now it still boggles me on EVs and IVs) and also it's simplicity (trade with absolutely anyone on earth via wifi???) that people have overlooked. pokemon isn;t about story, or moving sprites in battle, it's about interaction.

admotonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I know they shouldn't change the formula completely. But they could at least change something to make them more exciting. The DS is capable of some amazing 3D graphics. How does just moving side to side KO a wild pokemon? When you select the move the ookemon couyld actually ATTACK the opposition pokemon, This change of graphics could make the gameplay seem more fast paced as you can actually see the pokemon battle with actual moves. I mean this is rediculous at this stage of gaming generation. Bulbasaur wiggles - wild rattatta faints? what is this!

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
admotonic said:
I know they shouldn't change the formula completely. But they could at least change something to make them more exciting. The DS is capable of some amazing 3D graphics. How does just moving side to side KO a wild pokemon? When you select the move the ookemon couyld actually ATTACK the opposition pokemon, This change of graphics could make the gameplay seem more fast paced as you can actually see the pokemon battle with actual moves. I mean this is rediculous at this stage of gaming generation. Bulbasaur wiggles - wild rattatta faints? what is this!

the likeliness of nintendo shoving their own hardware to the brink is as likely their next console is more powerful than ps4 or xbox RROD720. they might do it before the 3DS pushes through, or maybe when they make the B/W combo thing (pokemon grey??? anyone???) or they could make that for the wii, but let's not get our hopes up. showing pokemon that moves and fights could be possible (kinda like how DQ9 did it, i guess) but they prob won't change pokemon for the sake of changing it. hey, maybe they limited the graphics so that people's imagination would have some workout, lolz!!!

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
Shinigami357 said:
the anime is pure tosh in terms of being canonical to actual gameplay. multitasking is already rearing it's head what with EVs, IVs, double battles, triple battles, the change of attack types and categories.

multiplayer co-op might be a good idea, esp with the DS's wireless capabilities.

isn't that implemented in SS/HG??? ( i think it isn't in B/W though) or do you mean kinda like the pokewalker???

what people don't understand is that pokemon HAS changed. like i said, there are now EVs, IVs, double and triple battles, and the addition of attack types. in case anyone here has been under a rock,it has already changed the multiplayer element, and especially competitive play. wasn't the point of the ORIGINAL pokemon to collect, trade, battle and interact with others? the modern iterations of the game have enhanced that experience and added to it's complexity (til now it still boggles me on EVs and IVs) and also it's simplicity (trade with absolutely anyone on earth via wifi???) that people have overlooked. pokemon isn;t about story, or moving sprites in battle, it's about interaction.

Thats true.

Yes!

Not the pokewalker..Well, I meant like choosing any pokemon to be next to you in the game...not just the main one, you'd be able to select any, even legendaries. If this has been introduced in ss/hg than hoorah! ^.-'

Also the changing in clothes colors would be nice...don't wanna make pokemon game into a Sims game. xP

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
I've been playing games since 5. Pokemon Yellow was my first one, yet I consider Silver/Soul Silver to be the best.

B/W seem to be adding a lot more new content. Example being, the triple battle system.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
The only DS Pokemon game I bought was Soulsilver, just cause I really like the pokewalker.
If Nintendo has more and creative ideas then I might buy the neXt Black version.

Although I just download most Pokemon games, I love them but not enough to give a shit of my cash
tongue.gif

Silent Storm

Trophies
XP
Country
Shinigami357 has it right....the whole point of the Pokémon games is to battle, trade and interact with OTHER PEOPLE, with single player giving you a basic story so you can get the hang of battling. When people judge Pokémon for its generic "catch Pokémon and beat the gym leaders" story, they are not judging Pokémon, except they are judging the entire experience based on a simplistic story only tagged on to help people get the hang of the game, and once you complete the story, you move on to the multiplayer aspect of the game, where the real experience is.

And when you look at the multiplayer aspect of the game, you will see that each generation is different in their own way. Through each game that is released, they add new pokemon, abilities, strategies and moves. These changes are pretty huge when you focus on the Pokémon's biggest strength, because now all your old strategies will probably not work anymore with the inclusion of new Pokémon, moves strategies etc, so you have to discover new strategies based around these new moves etc to give you the edge over your opponent. To make this bearable they tack on the same basic storyline, and by the time you complete it, you should already be familiar with all the new stuff they added in.

And addressing the point of the formula changing, no, the basic formula is fine as it is, what's not fine is either keeping it the same (by the same I mean absolutely nothing changing since Red and Blue/Green or completely revamping it, which then it's not Pokémon anymore), what you do is keep the basic formula but improve on it slightly, so while the battling aspect seems familiar, it enhances it, creating a new experience all together What I am trying to say here is that if you are going to judge Pokémon, then focus on what made it so popular in the first place (the multiplayer), as without the social aspect of the game, Pokémon would be nothing, and if you are not playing Pokémon for the multiplayer experience, but for the story, then you really shouldn't be playing the fucking game(s) at all.

The storyline is also fine as it is. Basic explore the new land and defeat the gym leaders / elite 4, once that done train your Pokémon with the post game content they provide, good fun on the side when you're not battling (or trading with) other people, and while it may seem like a grind, well it's only one when you try and blitz through the game.

howlingsnow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing pokemon since the first game came out on Game Boy. I love the game because I like to play strategic games. Plus now there opening up a whole new variety of options now. In the the old days you could only be a pokemon trainer, now you can be a ranger, pokemon, and coordinator.

I like being a coordinator more so than being a trainer. The combinations of using different berries to improve you pokemon appeal is very fun yet frustrating, and as them game continues it get more into socializing with the people around you, that probably why it doesn't need to return to the beginning. Kids can can rely on each other for an introduction to the game, be it new or older generations. Plus you still have the show, and if someone wanted to learn about the first 150, all they would have to do is look on the net and work them selves backwards, and don't forget they are making remakes of the old games. With that being said I look forward into seeing the new Black and White.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to play my pokemon games with the shift setting (it tells you what pkmn your opponent will use next) but just recently i changed it to set, and i liked it better that way. It gave me a better sense of strategy. I wish that the after story game would have even higher level trainers, stronger than the special area of sinnoh, yet not confined to the Battle Frontier, or Battle Subway in B/W.

Like after you finish the Isshu League, all trainers in game can be rebattled, at higher levels with the other generations pokemon added to their rosters.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Silent Storm said:
And when you look at the multiplayer aspect of the game, you will see that each generation is different in their own way. Through each game that is released, they add new pokemon, abilities, strategies and moves. These changes are pretty huge when you focus on the Pokémon's biggest strength, because now all your old strategies will probably not work anymore with the inclusion of new Pokémon, moves strategies etc, so you have to discover new strategies based around these new moves etc to give you the edge over your opponent. To make this bearable they tack on the same basic storyline, and by the time you complete it, you should already be familiar with all the new stuff they added in.

The problem of this aspect is, that breeding your Pokemon on the cartridge in a competitive way is enormously tedious. It takes ages to get the right traits and inherited attacks. And then you have to level them up and distribute EV which aren't even properly documented aside from dedicated fansites like Bulbapedia or Serebii.net. Those hatching and breeding parts are enormously boring for the most part, using a software like Pokemon Online is way more comfortable and you can swap your monsters easily.
And I want ONE edition were I can get ALL Pokemon without annoying Wifi-Gifts, trading them over from 3 editions that require every handheld twice or getting them via Movie tickets. Why not including some difficult quests and battles to gain access to Legendaries or very rare Pokemon?

Fuzzied

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, it's so annoying when you play on emulator, and if you want to get Darkrai, or any other legendary Pokemon, you must use cheat, because any other way won't work. So, I play Pokemon hacks, there I can get Electivire without trading (like Pokemon Bloody Platinum).

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Escapa said:
Not the pokewalker..Well, I meant like choosing any pokemon to be next to you in the game...not just the main one, you'd be able to select any, even legendaries. If this has been introduced in ss/hg than hoorah!
WOW MAN GREAT IDEA!

Except not. Don't you think Pokémon would become incredibly unbalanced?

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
What's with all the people hating on the new generation Pokéymenz haters?
One reason why I don't like the newer Pokéymenz: it's not new anymore. The first 'Menz games were awesome, the idea was new, the 'Menz were new and awesome. It's just not the same anymore. We've seen enough of that. I mean, everything gets old after a while. However, it now takes nowhere near as long as with the first generation of Pokémon. Nintendo should just remake Blue/Red/Green/Yellow for the DS, without the other generations of 'Menz.

riverchen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pkmn gets very boring for me. Nothing new is added, except now maps and new fail pokemon. Now i only get it to hack it, (screw with the settings and use ar codes) Pokemon's broken, add something new.

Silent Storm

Trophies
XP
Country
redfalcon said:
Silent Storm said:

The problem of this aspect is, that breeding your Pokemon on the cartridge in a competitive way is enormously tedious. It takes ages to get the right traits and inherited attacks. And then you have to level them up and distribute EV which aren't even properly documented aside from dedicated fansites like Bulbapedia or Serebii.net. Those hatching and breeding parts are enormously boring for the most part, using a software like Pokemon Online is way more comfortable and you can swap your monsters easily.

And I want ONE edition were I can get ALL Pokemon without annoying Wifi-Gifts, trading them over from 3 editions that require every handheld twice or getting them via Movie tickets. Why not including some difficult quests and battles to gain access to Legendaries or very rare Pokemon?

I agree that this aspect is boring if you don't search around, but there are more than enough tools and guides available that make the process easier. Just having a quick look on sites like Smogon will provide you with all the stuff you need to make a great team by the end of the week. You don't even need to do it the "legit way", ass you can use programs such as PokeGen or Pokesav to speed up the process, and while Nintendo doesn't approve, do it right and nobody will be able to tell the difference between a "hack" and a "legit".

I have Shoddy Battle and Pokemon Online, but I still use the cartridge games as my main source of entertainment because not only are there more than enough guides to manipulate the rng to get what you want in a matter of days, seeing as I use a flashcard I have access to programs that generate the pokemon I want within legal limits, shortening the whole process, breeding this late in the series is not a problem anymore.

mangaTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Well I played almost all the versions of pokemon(except crystal) and if it's story based then it's decent enough.Pokemon is a good game on it's on way so no one can say that it's boring or crap cause it has it's own charm in it's own way.Based on history, it's one of the best-selling games out there so no matter what we say,it's good although different people have their different opinions so you can't really say that's it's good or crap if your basis is your own taste.Though frankly speaking,for me that is,I would really like the battle gameplay to be enhanced/improved/remodeled since I would like to see a dynamic way of battle in pokemon, not just some animated actions or what-so-they-call-it but still retains the classical turn based action..(Though it really is hard to push that kind of thing in this console anymore)
unsure.gif

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Silent Storm said:
I agree that this aspect is boring if you don't search around, but there are more than enough tools and guides available that make the process easier. Just having a quick look on sites like Smogon will provide you with all the stuff you need to make a great team by the end of the week. You don't even need to do it the "legit way", ass you can use programs such as PokeGen or Pokesav to speed up the process, and while Nintendo doesn't approve, do it right and nobody will be able to tell the difference between a "hack" and a "legit".

I have Shoddy Battle and Pokemon Online, but I still use the cartridge games as my main source of entertainment because not only are there more than enough guides to manipulate the rng to get what you want in a matter of days, seeing as I use a flashcard I have access to programs that generate the pokemon I want within legal limits, shortening the whole process, breeding this late in the series is not a problem anymore.
Would you happen to be a smogon member?

I'd have to admit the overworld and storyline of pokemon is not the best out there, that's not the reason I play it for, I really enjoy the competitive side of it, so yeah new abilities, items, moves, new pokemon to battle with is a nice welcome. I'm really looking forward for b/w releases.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Silent Storm said:

Yeah, of course it is easier with help from guides or doing them via Pokesav. But that couldn't be Nintendos intention. They should somehow simplify the process, e.g. having a preview of the Pokemon thats going to be in the egg (Let Prof. Oak invent an egg screener or so
wink.gif
). Kinda like in the SMT series when you fuse demons/personas. Or somehow make that whole thing with the natures easier, there is no explanation in the games what a respective nature does. You always have to look up the advanced stuff on the internet.

shiningnegro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the main reason why EVs, IVs and Natures aren't officially documented is because they are not trying to overwhelm players who don't play competitively. Also there is now over 500 pokemon but when u actually play for real there is only a small amount of pokemon actually being used, look at the tier list on smogon. I would like to see pokemon switch up their stuff or add more to the game like why is Silver and Gold still the only versions that let u go to two different regions it helps so much getting your guys to lvl 100 when at least the strongest area has 70+. The minigames in SS/HG were actually good. How come they never implemented their trading card game into it. Anyone remember the Pokemon TCG on the Game boy Color that game was really good and taught many Westerners how the game actually worked. I know my neighborhood knew nothing until that game came out. I would just like to see companies like Square-Enix (other than Dragon Quest Monster) or Bioware do their own kind of monster collecting/battling game so we just get the mechanics we wish were in pokemon without having to mess it up. People would like change but i know no one would seriously be able to take it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Looks like a Famicom handheld