Pokemon Liquid Crystal (Fire Red Hack)

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by thaddius, Apr 30, 2012.

1. thaddius
    OP

thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    This was released a while ago (Xmas 2011 apparently), but it's a hack of Fire Red that turns it into a remake of Pokemon Crystal for the GBC (companion to Silver/Gold).

I've uploaded it to file trip. Here's the original website if you, y'know, wanna check it out or something.

EDIT: Quick side note, it doesn't seem to be quite finished. Keep that in mind.

2. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Isn't Liquid Crystal the one that required emulator-specific hacks for part of it to work, and only actually works on certain VBA builds? Or am I thinking of something else?

3. thaddius
    OP

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    After looking into it a little more, it turns out that you are right. You need to use an emulator. Specifically, this one.

4. FireEmblemGuy

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I figured it was this one. Don't get me wrong, it's great that there are people this dedicated to GBA hacking (in fact, there's a patch in progress to allow hackers to use all 649 Pokemon and B/W mechanics in FR/LG hacks), but it's just kind of useless if it doesn't actually work on real hardware.

5. thaddius
    OP

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    Indeed. I'm rather disappointed now that I know I can't play on the real hardware. Ah well. guess I'll just have to play the original. *sigh*

6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I remember playing this on EZFlash 4

7. FireEmblemGuy

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Looks like for the most part it works on real hardware, just not the RTC or day/night system. Unless more's changed since the outdated link I looked at.