Pokemon Liquid Crystal (Fire Red Hack)

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by thaddius, Apr 30, 2012.

Apr 30, 2012
  1. thaddius
    OP

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    This was released a while ago (Xmas 2011 apparently), but it's a hack of Fire Red that turns it into a remake of Pokemon Crystal for the GBC (companion to Silver/Gold).

I've uploaded it to file trip. Here's the original website if you, y'know, wanna check it out or something.

EDIT: Quick side note, it doesn't seem to be quite finished. Keep that in mind.

2. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Isn't Liquid Crystal the one that required emulator-specific hacks for part of it to work, and only actually works on certain VBA builds? Or am I thinking of something else?

3. thaddius
    OP

Canada
    After looking into it a little more, it turns out that you are right. You need to use an emulator. Specifically, this one.

4. FireEmblemGuy

United States
    Yeah, I figured it was this one. Don't get me wrong, it's great that there are people this dedicated to GBA hacking (in fact, there's a patch in progress to allow hackers to use all 649 Pokemon and B/W mechanics in FR/LG hacks), but it's just kind of useless if it doesn't actually work on real hardware.

5. thaddius
    OP

Canada
    Indeed. I'm rather disappointed now that I know I can't play on the real hardware. Ah well. guess I'll just have to play the original. *sigh*

6. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I remember playing this on EZFlash 4

7. FireEmblemGuy

United States
    Looks like for the most part it works on real hardware, just not the RTC or day/night system. Unless more's changed since the outdated link I looked at.