Gaming Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu [Starting GUIDE]

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first of all from what Ive played, THERE IS NO SOFT RESETTING, and i just read there is no soft resetting which is DUMB...

From the moment you start, the Gender of your Pikachu/Eevee will be shown immediately. A Flat Tail for a MALE and a Heart-Shape Tail for a FEMALE. If its gender is not what you desire, hit the menu button, quit the game and restart.
(this is the same with Eevee, a Spiky Pattern Tail for Male and a Curvy Pattern Tail for Female)
MF.png

edit, Once you get the gender you want, SAVE BEFORE ENTERING THE GRASS. The NATURE WILL BE SET once you enter the grass, (so before meeting Pikachu/Eevee in Oak's Lab). From what I read each starter is locked at 6 IVs so no problem there.

So once started, see if Pikachu/Eevee has the GENDER you want it, Immediately Exit and Restart the game until you have desired Gender. Save before entering the grass, DONT SAVE AT ALL UNTIL YOU GET YOUR DESIRED NATURE after receiving your pokemon in Oak's Lab... Immediately Exit and Restart the game until you have desired Nature, Good Luck

thanks to @Scarlet for clarifying when the Nature is set.

this too:

Last edited by gameboy, , Reason: added

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How come you're going for neutral? The +Speed natures are definitely the ones to go for in a game that doesn't have items like Choice Scarf. Hasty or Naive would prob be best for the starter Pikachu since it gives you the choice of whether you want phys or special later. But that's just my two cents, I can't imagine a lot of people are thinking competitively for this one lol

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How come you're going for neutral? The +Speed natures are definitely the ones to go for in a game that doesn't have items like Choice Scarf. Hasty or Naive would prob be best for the starter Pikachu since it gives you the choice of whether you want phys or special later. But that's just my two cents, I can't imagine a lot of people are thinking competitively for this one lol

nobody battles with pikachu or raichu, jolteon is superior in every way. i just dont want messed up Attack or Defense Stats for the story even though I read the game is so easy its upsetting people.

Generally in Battle i go (252/128/128) (hp/def/sdef) or (252/252/6) (hp/def of choice) with a +defense/-offense nature, and I make battles a long strategic war.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nobody battles with pikachu or raichu, jolteon is superior in every way. i just dont want messed up Attack or Defense Stats for the story even though I read the game is so easy its upsetting people.

Generally in Battle i go (252/128/128) (hp/def/sdef) or (252/252/6) (hp/def of choice) with a +defense/-offense nature, and I make battles a long strategic war.
Looking purely at stats, Jolteon beats it out, but the Starterchu has a few cool things I'd say puts it above in this case. Zippy Zap is prob the most significant one, being a priority attack that always crits. Floaty Fall and Splishy Splash (god i love these names) also give it the coverage Jolteon is sorely lacking. All Jolteon really has is Tbolt and Shadow Ball offensively.

I'd also say it's better to distribute stats based on what you want a Pokemon to be doing in oppose to just giving them defense. Like you wouldn't want to give a Deoxys-Atk any defensive investment when it'll still die from every other hit regardless. Just a few things to keep in mind I suppose. It's not as though you have to worry about EVs in Let's Go when you can give every stat 200 candies.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking purely at stats, Jolteon beats it out, but the Starterchu has a few cool things I'd say puts it above in this case. Zippy Zap is prob the most significant one, being a priority attack that always crits. Floaty Fall and Splishy Splash (god i love these names) also give it the coverage Jolteon is sorely lacking. All Jolteon really has is Tbolt and Shadow Ball offensively.

I'd also say it's better to distribute stats based on what you want a Pokemon to be doing in oppose to just giving them defense. Like you wouldn't want to give a Deoxys-Atk any defensive investment when it'll still die from every other hit regardless. Just a few things to keep in mind I suppose. It's not as though you have to worry about EVs in Let's Go when you can give every stat 200 candies.

im going into this game basically blind, picked it up at walmart at midnight(pokemon sells fast here and they never seem to restock), started playing an hour ago. I know it got leaked and im late to the party but this no-soft-reset is BS.

when i battle i need my pokemon to survive and thats it, the hp and defensive buffs actually are better imo than the offensive buffs. ex. A Bold 252/252-HP/DF Solar Power Charizard is really good and can take about 3 super effective op rock type moves from what ive experience

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im going into this game basically blind, picked it up at walmart at midnight(pokemon sells fast here and they never seem to restock), started playing an hour ago. I know it got leaked and im late to the party but this no-soft-reset is BS.

when i battle i need my pokemon to survive and thats it, the hp and defensive buffs actually are better imo than the offensive buffs. ex. A Bold 252/252-HP/DF Solar Power Charizard is really good and can take about 3 super effective op rock type moves from what ive experience
Yeah I can see a Charizard surviving rock moves, but you don't feel it takes away another layer of strategy by doing that? You can make Charizard survive a few rock moves, or you could switch into something designed to take em. I do understand your reasoning, and there is a surprise factor in surviving a hit your opponent doesn't expect you to, but I also think there's a line.

That said, you are free to play as you want, I'm just throwing a few ideas your way to spice up battles a little for you lol. Fwiw I'm going blind into the game today too, and I'm quite looking forward to it.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I can see a Charizard surviving rock moves, but you don't feel it takes away another layer of strategy by doing that? You can make Charizard survive a few rock moves, or you could switch into something designed to take em. I do understand your reasoning, and there is a surprise factor in surviving a hit your opponent doesn't expect you to, but I also think there's a line.

That said, you are free to play as you want, I'm just throwing a few ideas your way to spice up battles a little for you lol. Fwiw I'm going blind into the game today too, and I'm quite looking forward to it.

basically everybody plays the serebii 'speed+attack' game, to get the first move. So I defer the first move but because i dont have to worry about using half my evs on speed or speed itself, i can use ANY pokemon that can exploit weaknesses, because 252hp/252def+def nature > 252atk/252spd+spd nature. It throws people off because they only play against the same spd+atk build style pokemon

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Scarlet its simple math... if i choose to go second with defense, then IF the opponent went with a speed build, it means theyve spent way too much(in terms of +/-) to get the first turn because now theyve spent a 252ev and a -10%attack detriment for essentially nothing.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Scarlet its simple math... if i choose to go second with defense, then IF the opponent went with a speed build, it means theyve spent way too much(in terms of +/-) to get the first turn because now theyve spent a 252ev and a -10%attack detriment for essentially nothing.
I'm a little too tired to be explaining the ins and outs of competitive battling, but you should look into stall teams. They seem like they'd fit your ethos.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a little too tired to be explaining the ins and outs of competitive battling, but you should look into stall teams. They seem like they'd fit your ethos.

i know about the 'competitive' meta game, its all based on serebii builds, i dont like that style of play. i just like going into the menu and battling whoever, im not trying to officially compete, although i should. i suggest you make a balance team with hp/def buffs without specific tank pokemon, you'd be surprised at how much funner the battles are.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a updated pkhex re;eases today. so youll be able to edit your pokemon to what you want

i dont see any reason to get banned for using cfw or playing pirated pokemon... YET. I pirated GBA Ruby, UltraMoon and that was it. Other than that I like the online function for Pokemon too much to get my switch banned for $65... right now... PKHEX never really float my boat, never saw value in it

my pokemon history is, blue(1998), gold(2000), ruby (2003-ish emulated) XY(2013) then went legit before pokebank came out.

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you start with a starter, I guess your party at any given time can only be 5 Pokemon of your choice and the starter? I mean I'd like 6 of my choice but I guess this wouldn't work would it

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just as an update to your main post, the nature and gender are not set when you start the game. Only the gender is. Once you have the right gender, you should save in front of the grass before the Eevee/Pikachu encounter. Figured this out after a few full resets and it saved me a good deal of time lol

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as an update to your main post, the nature and gender are not set when you start the game. Only the gender is. Once you have the right gender, you should save in front of the grass before the Eevee/Pikachu encounter. Figured this out after a few full resets and it saved me a good deal of time lol

are you sure? i saved it in front of the grass and 4 times it came up LONELY Nature

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1