Gaming Pokemon for the BIG Screen or Web?

ponygals

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nataliezworld.com
XP
Country
United States
Why doesn't Pokemon take it's gaming to the BIG consoles so we can play on our TVs OR do an online type of thing. AND include EVERY Pokemon and EVERY GYM, TOWN, to really CATCH'EM ALL!!!!

What are your thoughts on this?

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I was thinking about this yesterday, it will probably happen eventually. I already said a while ago that I think Pokemon Z would be better released for the struggling Wii U now that the game has gone fully 3D. It would be a good test of the market for a HD Pokemon game.

GolfDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
earlier this year, it was reported that they were working on some strange pokemon type game codenamed "Detective Pikachu" i think they called it, where they showed pikachu standing upright and "speaking" in real language.. not saying "pikachu"

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't gamefreak said something like they want people to play pokemon on handheld systems so they can go on an adventure while going on an adventure? They clearly said they don't want people to stuck in front of a TV and go on an "adventure".

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah this idea has been bouncing around the internet for the last couple years or so.
I really hope GameFreak or the Pokemon Company have caught up with the idea. It would be fantastic.

I'm not a fan of MMOs though, keep it single player.

Ykr1113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember them saying they only want it on handheld systems so it can make people feel like they are actually collecting the pokemon. Yeah I get it, but I dont get it.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember them saying they only want it on handheld systems so it can make people feel like they are actually collecting the pokemon. Yeah I get it, but I dont get it.
they main idea is that the game is a cooperative/competitive/multiplayer/single adventure.

they wanted a game where you could play and trade with friends anywhere. in school, in the bus, in the train, in your house and in my house.

that experience cannot be delivered on a home console.

at most they can use a cross save function like sony has.... which kinda worked on pokemon stadium with your own cart

Reactions: Ykr1113

ResleyZ

Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
18rjap5dwdzqbjpg.jpg

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
While I love digimon, digimon is an entirely different thing. It started as something similar to tamagotchi, then it got an animes, mangas, games, etc.

While Pokemon started in a Nintendo Handheld, which is where it'll always remain, I doubt they'll ever release a main series outside a handheld. To be honest, Pokemon is not the type of game I want to play while I sit in front of a tv, it's supposed to be enjoyed on the go, whenever you want, wherever you want.

Drink the Bleach

This New Member died on Sep 10, 2014
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably making the ultimate version of Pokemon thats practically all the pokemon in one is too ambitious of a project. By your logic, you might as well ask why can't every new mario game just be that year's version of a new Mario All Stars.

Also games shouldn't be too long. The statistics of games are that only 20% or less on average number of gamers actually mangage to see the end/beat the game these days. Making games that extend past 20-30 hours of original content is more or less wasted effort on the development cycle. You're talking about a project that would take several times longer to develop, and overall be under appretiated by a smaller percentage of audiences.

Also looking at a sales point of view, Pokemon games need no help making their single-adventure games gross tens of millions of sold copies and making the game longer than the standard will hardly increase sales, and cost more in production and time. Time is money, and its in Nintendo's/Gamefreak's best interest to be spilling out as many Pokemon games as fast as possible is the most effecient way of cutting production costs and getting a return on investment as soon as possible. Taking too long making a game is too costly, and rarely produces good results. I mean there are still dummies that thing Final Fantasy Versus/XV is going to be the best game ever? lol.

The fact is that even the best, highest rated, most beloved games in this world have a hard time pushing past 10-15 million copies sold. Pokemon as it is, almost consistently breaks those milestones, so why would anyone spend more time and money making a perfect formula last longer if its not going to yield better results. I have a hard time seeing a Pokemon with all the badges, towns, maps, pokemon, badges and etc selling more than 25 million copies in it's life, it would seem they'd have to sell 40 million+ in a 6 year life span to justify the development cost and schedule, otherwise they've worked harder on a game thats not as profitable.

BUT Time and Money is NOT a reason, its just a practical limitation. The likely reason why Pokemon doesn't include the entire catalog of Pokemon content is often the same reason that OTHER games don't follow that same suit. You're thinking of a game as a game and not as a piece of media or art. 1 game = 1 experience just as 1 album doesn't = 2 albums, 1 movie isn't 2 movies, 1 book isn't two books. Theres compilation titles that are created as bargains, but rarely does any content producer ever include all the experience of one thing into the same experience of another. Not every game gets to be Super Mario All Stars + Mario World.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I've been think about this upcoming Pokemon OR/AS and how it's so obviously not a remake in the same way that we've seen before.
Then I thought why is this? Perhaps they're trying to break out of the remake release cycle that they're getting into, with the DS it was fine because they only need to do 1 remake, but for the 3DS they need to do 2 remakes, then with the next generation they will have to release 2-3 remakes, it will keep building up.
The solution to this? Remake the first 4 generations release it as a bundle.
This would be the perfect timing for it as next generation there will be a gen 2 and gen 4 remake needed, which people will cringe over, though not if they remade it into a bundle.
So they make this upcoming game not a remake in the sense we know, so they have the capability of packaging a normal remake into a bundle but still being fresh to fans.
They delay a gen1 remake and instead have it as the focus point of the gen 1-4 remake combo and it will be announced at the same time as the next generation nintendo generation, which is confirmed for having the same games on both handheld and console.

TL;DR: We could see a gen 1-4 remake on the next nintendo home console and handheld.

fischermasamune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the impression the Pokemon games will compete among themselves.
I see no reason to have Ruby/Sapphire if I have X. I think the real majority of players don't need more than one Pokémon game.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have the impression the Pokemon games will compete among themselves.
I see no reason to have Ruby/Sapphire if I have X. I think the real majority of players don't need more than one Pokémon game.

Actually, most people do need more than one Pokemon game, proof of that is that a lot of people own all the copies of the games.

I'm not a big fan on Pokemon, yet I do own most of the games in the series, dating back to the GB days.
The maps are different, the pokemon are different and then there's always something, be it a new evolution or a secret pokemon, etc.

Reactions: DarkKnigh_t

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Don't fix what ain't broken.
Pokémon has been selling outstandingly well on handhelds,
why would Nintendo move it to consoles or web?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why doesn't Pokemon take it's gaming to the BIG consoles so we can play on our TVs OR do an online type of thing. AND include EVERY Pokemon and EVERY GYM, TOWN, to really CATCH'EM ALL!!!!

What are your thoughts on this?
They did, it's called Pokemon Colosseum and XD.
Might not be exactly what you want, but they were good, full-length games and looked pretty good on the big screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Finally there are people here