Pokemon fan gets played out

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by matt1freek, Feb 10, 2011.

Feb 10, 2011
  1. matt1freek
    OP

Member matt1freek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So i have a confession to make.. I'm knocking on 30's door and i play pokemon..
    Now the thing is while I have been a gamer my whole life (starting with pong and atari 2600) I never really got into pokemon before.
    At least until a few months before HGSS came out. I started playing Platinum and instantly fell in love with the game. The custimization and team building strategy instantly sucked me in. Being a big fan of FF Tactics and Disgaea its not hard to see what i enjoy about pokemon. It wasnt long before I purchased Soul Silver and began a mission to "catch em all". got damn close too... mowing through leaf green, ruby, and black soon after that.
    Now to get to my point, I started playing battles online (through pokemon lab) and I think it may have ruined it for me. no matter how good my team is "in my mind" I keep getting mowed over by 12 year olds.. this combined with the nagging sensation that pokemon is for kids may have finally broke my will..
    For a long time I convinced myself if I enjoy it eF what everyone else thinks.. and i caught alot of crap from alot of different people. At the same point it broke the ice with some younger coworkers who grew up on pokemon. Yeah i guess they'd be working age now..

So what have you to say about this? Should i just stay off shoddy battle and stick to the solo player?
    Should i continue my Ef what everyone else thinks mentality?
    IS there a good option for after beating the game to play that doesnt involve battling online (Or is shoddy battle a bad representation of that?)?

I look forward to your responses

2. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Smogon
    Thats all you need

3. matt1freek
    OP

Member matt1freek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yeah smogon is how i found out about the shoddy battle

4. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Many online players are cheats using save file editors and various other hacks.
    You can never be sure you are playing against someone legit. Best to find another poke player and battle locally.

5. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    wow lol Pokemon is a great tactical game if you are getting annoyed just play WiFi matches in that case you don't need to communicate with them through the battle [​IMG] Competitive battles are fun, It's not just a kiddie game. There are far advance mechanics that GF has put in for you to discover and there are a lot of people out there who battle with this knowledge and I know people will say pokemon is easy and simple, no it isn't when you got people out there with amazing teams, it becomes real struggle to think of a good combination to cover all your teams weaknesses and remain unbeaten. =P

6. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Smogon + Pokesav.

Keep your IVs/EVs/Moves/Abilities/ect legal though.

7. mechagouki

Member mechagouki Kill 'em all...

Canada
    I still play it and I'm 40 this year. Started with Blue on a Gameboy Pocket, and bought a GBC and a Red pak so I could complete my Pokedex (except Mew). To date have completed story mode in Blue, Red, Pikachu Special, Silver, Gold and Diamond - I skipped all the GBA ones, no good reason really except I was too busy to even look at them.

The reason 12 year olds will beat you is that they spend 25.5 hours a day playing Pokemon whereas you presumably have a job/real life. Also the little bastards cheat like you wouldn't believe.

Pokemon is gaming crack.

8. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    i burned out of Pokemon during HGSS' launch time... before getting SS, i'd stop playing Pearl for almost a year. i thought SS and its cute pokewalker would relight my once fiery passion for playing/battling/collecting/breeding, but online broke me as well. too many cheaters. especially pokesav cheaters.

i sold my copy of SS for half-price to buy an iEDGE after about a month's on-off playing. now i'm happily enjoying whatever DS game i currently fancy. which at the moment is SMT Strange Journey. it still has tons of demons to collect and fuse and grind for skill sources to scratch my collecting-itch, but in an entirely different and incredibly absorbing setting.

and more importantly, no cheating son-of-a... ehrm, son-of-a-man to ruin everything for you. only NPC sons of men. and some outrageously imbalanced bosses. but nothing that a good tedious grind couldn't solve.

9. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Aww come on, don't give-up! Train your team! Train'em to lvl 100 you'l beat'em little cheaters! You can do it!

10. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    What you find online is called metagame and

a- You get into it
    b- You just let your ass be kicken

I'm in the 'b' category since I find metagame being a game ruiner.

11. ItsMetaKnight

Member ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    'b' category indeed.
    It ruins the game for every reckless player.

12. 1234turtles

Member 1234turtles GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    keep that i dont give a *insert profanity here* what other people say attitude

13. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    love the avatar, and I agree w/ b as well. 21 here

14. jonesman99

Member jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

United States
    yea same here. im 21 and i was confused as to if i felt infuriated or depressed about being swept by a butterfree a couple hours ago... and this guy laughed it off like it was nothing...

15. AkiroWolfman

Member AkiroWolfman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I kinda agree with you on the whole Metagame being a game ruiner but I think that Pokemon is one of the best straegy games all around and possibly will be for a very long time. When I first heard about HeardGold and SoulSilver I almost wet myself with me being a huge fan of the very first and second generations and being a fan for over ten years. I love the depth of the battles you can have especially when you wonder which Pokemon someone is going to bring out and if your team will be strong enough to beat it. One thing I hate though is battling a cheater, you can spot them a mile off. The one with the Pokemon that just don't seem to die even after a critical hit with supereffective power.

16. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    There's something wrong with playing pokemon at 30?
    *checks his age* Guess that's news to me.
    I won't go online and play with rabid little poke'kids, but playing solo I really enjoy the games.

If you enjoy something, and you're not hurting anybody, then to hell with how other people see it.

(Sorry for coming into the conversation late.)