ROM Hack Pokemon Black/White Hacking Documentation

samjef11

Trophies
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
RebornX, every time I see you post in a thread it creates chaos. You guys can pack in the arguing now or warns will be issued.
Thank you
wink.gif

Andrecito77

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well what I am doing is, translating part of the text using google then proof reading and making changes.

BTW: WOW this turned into a regular spamfest... I hope I don't have to buy tickets cause they'd be REALLY expensive seeing how long this is... lolz

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
atoxic said:
I think I've located the main menu text in file 179 of 0/0/2 (0x2463d8 to 0x247c80, size = 6312 bytes)
i'm still trying to remember how whoever-hacked-HG viewed the files. so I'm a little envious right now, lol

i was thinking of extracting a/0/0/2, unpacking Diamond, renaming '2' and replacing msg.narc with it, rewrite table.tbl and using thenewpoketext to view it but

that seems a little too ambitious for a man with a full-time job that starts at 7am
maybe if i thought of this on friday

atoxic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
Okay, then try changing the hex digits until you get English letters.

Well, therein lies the first problem: it's encrypted. The encryption is different from DPP and HGSS, so it's going to be tough

I'll try editing different parts to find out where each sentence is, but that's about the most I can do right now. MAYBE I'll get lucky and have a Latin character pop up, but it's guaranteed to not be in the place where I want it.

windwakr

Trophies
Website
windwakr.github.io
XP
Country
United States
atoxic said:
When I zero out that area, the text in the menu disappears

WGpMI.png

Neat find. To reproduce it you only need to zero out bytes 3 and 4 of the file(in this particular file, byte 4 is already zero). From what I've examined, those two bytes correspond to the number of sentences stored in the file. I guess this could be confirmed by just lowering byte 3 a few times and seeing if just one option disappears.

EDIT: CONFIRMED:
confirmed.png

So, file format so far:
QUOTEPosition 0x1, length 0x2: always "0200"
position 0x3, length 0x2: word with the number of sentences stored in the file

REST UNKOWN AT THE MOMENT
Err, I start at position 1, not 0. I mean, 1 is the start of the file. Don't get confused.

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
atoxic said:
YayMii said:

Well, therein lies the first problem: it's encrypted. The encryption is different from DPP and HGSS, so it's going to be tough

I'll try editing different parts to find out where each sentence is, but that's about the most I can do right now. MAYBE I'll get lucky and have a Latin character pop up, but it's guaranteed to not be in the place where I want it.
I REMEMBERED HOW TO VIEW THE NARCS
jesus what a messy procedure, but hey I learned something from those drama mamas around the time of HG and SS

but, just by looking at the file and toying with it, it's just LZ77 encryption on the file, lol

decrypting it gives me a .BTAF file which...I have no idea what it is.

Now, that wall of hex from 000050 to 000D50 is something like a table built within the file. Compare it to other text files within the NARC to see if there's similar hex arrangements.

It seems like it's all two-byte lettering, and hopefully this table starts with the alphabet, working its way down to all the Kanji.
Try taking the newpoketext table, and adjusting it to fit this new table.
I'm too sleepy to figure it out right now, I have work tomorrow. But...yeah, hopefully my discovery here's proved helpful somewhat.

Kiekoes

Former DS-Scene Staff
Trophies
Website
ds-scene.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, just a question:

I unpacked the ROM and found the file for the Sprites, but how do I open it? It's just a '4' file, no file extensions.

Thanks in advance!

Neobenedict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, thanks for quoting that here SpenStar. Was going to do but got sidetracked.

@Above it is difficult. Add a .narc and try opening it with PPRE.

Neobenedict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
kosheh said:
atoxic said:
YayMii said:

I REMEMBERED HOW TO VIEW THE NARCS
jesus what a messy procedure, but hey I learned something from those drama mamas around the time of HG and SS

but, just by looking at the file and toying with it, it's just LZ77 encryption on the file, lol

decrypting it gives me a .BTAF file which...I have no idea what it is.

Now, that wall of hex from 000050 to 000D50 is something like a table built within the file. Compare it to other text files within the NARC to see if there's similar hex arrangements.

It seems like it's all two-byte lettering, and hopefully this table starts with the alphabet, working its way down to all the Kanji.
Try taking the newpoketext table, and adjusting it to fit this new table.
I'm too sleepy to figure it out right now, I have work tomorrow. But...yeah, hopefully my discovery here's proved helpful somewhat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!