ROM Hack Pokemon Black/White Hacking Documentation

whyyes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pure HEX hacking? Oh god what. Isn't there a way to send 0/0/3 or whatever to a .narc file and open it in a XML editor?

atoxic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Andrecito77 said:
Seeing as I am not the Hacking savvy (I'm pretty good but not perfect) can someone explain what you meant in the Unicode crud?

The Japanese (Hiragana, Katagana and Kanji) are all encoded in Unicode and stored as little-endian. Meaning that if you want to find "????" (Pokemon), you can use that converter to convert it to hex ("30DD 30B1 30E2 30F3") and switch the bytes around ("DD30 B130 E230 F330"). You can also reverse it to identify some Kanji you can't read. That's how "????" is stored in the memory and in the save file, but, of course, since we haven't found the script yet, we can't be sure if that's how it's stored in the script itself.

The Latin alphabet is still encoded strangely, like A = 21FF, B = 22FF...Y = 39FF, Z = 3AFF

With this, we can start making a table file to use to convert to and from the hex script when we find it.

Andrecito77

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
atoxic said:
Andrecito77 said:
Seeing as I am not the Hacking savvy (I'm pretty good but not perfect) can someone explain what you meant in the Unicode crud?

The Japanese (Hiragana, Katagana and Kanji) are all encoded in Unicode and stored as little-endian. Meaning that if you want to find "????" (Pokemon), you can use that converter to convert it to hex ("30DD 30B1 30E2 30F3") and switch the bytes around ("DD30 B130 E230 F330"). You can also reverse it to identify some Kanji you can't read. That's how "????" is stored in the memory and in the save file, but, of course, since we haven't found the script yet, we can't be sure if that's how it's stored in the script itself.

The Latin alphabet is still encoded strangely, like A = 21FF, B = 22FF...Y = 39FF, Z = 3AFF

With this, we can start making a table file to use to convert to and from the hex script when we find it.

AHA!

Anyways, I was using PPRE 0.4 and using the image editor. I opened up the seasons (1/5/1) and with 8x8 it worked fine. The problem is you cannot change it. I tried using PokeDSPic normal and platinum but they both have the same reults as the PPRE 0.4 Platinum and PD encodings. What do you guys suggest as far as editing it?

atoxic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I have an idea. We should just remove or zero out the narc files until we figure out which one contains the text. In other words, we do a binary search by zeroing out half of the suspicious ones. If it doesn't load the text, we know that it's in the half that's zeroed out. Else, it's the other half. Continue until the one that seems to contain the text is located

Edit: There are 22 narc files that are larger than 1MB. Furthermore, I've eliminated 15 files that have other stuff lime models and sprites. 7 files remain, so unless GF split the script up, we can find it out in log2(7) ? 3 searches

Edit 2: Well, in the end, I'm going through all 7 of them. Here are their statuses so far:
002 - Error at start
003 - Error when starting new game
006 - Error when starting new game

008 - No error
134 - No error
225 - Error at intro, might be intro files
226 - No error

Alright, so I think it's either 0/0/3 or 0/0/6...Or maybe both if GF is really bent on messing with us

Edit 3: Well, I take that back. Even when deleting most but not all of 003 or 006, the game doesn't spit out any errors and the text loads fine. Back to the drawing board...

Edit 4: JACKPOT. 002 is the script. When I zeroed out most but not all, the text was blank. I suppose the game loads it when it launches, that's why it crashes when it starts

mvit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2/0/7 has model data (same as below)
2/3/0 is MDL0 files (3d models), havent extracted fully yet though I am getting the mdl0s
found more at:
2/0/5
2/1/0
2/1/7
2/1/8
2/1/9
2/2/0
2/2/2
2/2/8
2/2/9
0/1/1 Model data for battle stages
1/9/7 Wifi and Wifi related models (example, world globe)

Ill try finding some text files, but dont expect much from me..

killnnllik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
YottaByte said:
killnnllik said:
atoxic said:
So now that a few of the have been discovered as translatable sprites (status, types), it's time to start cracking!

Could you please PM me some info how that works, so that I can be of help for the community, 'cause I am new and all
wub.gif
Download this:
http://rghost.net/520920
And use PPREb004a or Tahaxan
It's hard to jump into, it's going to be pure HEX editing. It will make little sense since it's HEX, and it's translates to Japanese text.

OK thanks! I'll try to learn myself hacking I guess
tongue.gif

But I guess this community will help me if I am in need of help
smile.gif

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
atoxic said:
Edit 4: JACKPOT. 002 is the script. When I zeroed out most but not all, the text was blank. I suppose the game loads it when it launches, that's why it crashes when it starts
Excellent!

Now... we just need to know how to manipulate the data within it!

I tried using thenewpoketext, but that did not work...

celebi23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone been able to view/extract the overworld sprites? I successfully extracted the correct .NARC from the rom (thanks to the first post in this topic) & then .btx files (from that .NARC file) using kiwi.ds. When I opened the BTX Editor application & tried a bunch of .btx files, I kept on getting the same error:

"Sorry, this file is unsupported at this time.

The program will now close.
frown.gif
"

Anyone else having the same issue?

Andrecito77

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
celebi23 said:
Anyone been able to view/extract the overworld sprites? I successfully extracted the correct .NARC from the rom (thanks to the first post in this topic) & then .btx files (from that .NARC file) using kiwi.ds. When I opened the BTX Editor application & tried a bunch of .btx files, I kept on getting the same error:

"Sorry, this file is unsupported at this time.

The program will now close.
frown.gif
"

Anyone else having the same issue?

Yeah unfortunately that won't work.

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pokemonblackjguineapig3.png

Just screwing around with tile editors. Seriously, the only photoshopping that went into this picture was the color index I used on the types when matching them up to the colors found in Tile Molester.
I'll do the rest later and a little more and post a patch later, I guess?

And is it me or does it look like those little names they have for the Pokemon over the HP bar are images and not actual text?

shaaynn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kosheh said:

Just screwing around with tile editors. Seriously, the only photoshopping that went into this picture was the color index I used on the types when matching them up to the colors found in Tile Molester.

And is it me or does it look like those little names they have for the Pokemon over the HP bar are images and not actual text?

I don't think they are images unless they have images for every possible 1-5 character word.

Spongeroberto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bhutan
kosheh said:

Highly unlikely... if that were the case it would have been a pain to code that in and also support custom names.

It's probably just a funky font.

QUOTE(johnnydaman @ Sep 19 2010, 07:04 PM) Is this thread for finding a way to translate the game?
It's just a collection of what people have found out so far.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I remember finding a character chart for the Pokémon names somewhere in the ROM.
Don't ask me where though, I didn't really bother looking at it's location.

xxcoldh3artxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shaaynn said:
kosheh said:

I don't think they are images unless they have images for every possible 1-5 character word.

I agree that the Pokemon names are most likely not images I don't see how they would be due to the ability to rename your Pokemon o.O but... I may just be being stupid but could the attack names be images?

Also what programs did you use to edit the attack types?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Minox @ Minox:
    No idea what any of those things you mention are
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cholesterol and Triglycerides? Basically a way they measure fatty cells in your blood
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Cholesterol is sorta high, according to my doc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits...