Plex App on WiiU

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by e3xtreme, Feb 4, 2013.

Feb 4, 2013

Plex App on WiiU by e3xtreme at 10:51 PM (13,270 Views / 1 Likes) 21 replies

1. e3xtreme
    OP

Newcomer e3xtreme Member

Austria
    For all of you who have a Plex Server you can use your WiiU as client...

1)
    start browser on WiiU
    2)
    http://IpofServer:32400/web
    3)
    enjoy your new media center

if you use another port for plex, change 32400 respectively

ozl likes this.

2. ruiner9

Newcomer ruiner9 Member

United States
    So wait, not too familiar with Plex, but based on the website it looks pretty straightforward. Do the media files stream through the Wii U browser? And which types of files can be played/ work?

3. e3xtreme
    OP

Newcomer e3xtreme Member

Austria
    Plex is a Audio,Video,Picture Media Center with a nice interface and widespread compatibility. All Samsung TVs/BlurayDiskPlayers have a PlexApp also does every Android/IOS devices hav the app. What you need is a Plex Server which can be every Windows PC or a Synology NAS (thats what I use). It automatically downloads covers and title theme and provides description etc...
    The media files stream through the Web Browser,...

I havent tested all of it on the Wii U but with the TV App mkv,avi,mpeg,jpg,wav,mp3,wma,... work, you can choose local transcoding on the server, this way nearly every media file is supported...

ruiner9 likes this.
  4. ruiner9

Newcomer ruiner9 Member

United States
    Sounds awesome... I've been looking for a good MKV solution since I un-jailbroke my PS3. I'll try this out. Thanks!

5. haaskub

Newcomer haaskub Newbie

Thailand
    music file doesn't work, video file work great !!

thanks

6. rizzod

Member rizzod Not a New Member

Australia
    didnt work.

7. twiddler

Newcomer twiddler Member

United States
    Same for Playon, but it's a bit sloppy on such a small screen.

8. PrimeX

Member PrimeX GBAtemp Regular

Romania
    What is the quality of transcoded files? I mean if I run mkv 1080p does it transcodes to mp4 1080p or a lower quality like playon?

9. GorTesK

Member GorTesK Mad Hatter

Germany
    works like a charm, thanks alot.

there is an option to always choose the highest available resolution, try that, if you think, you get low quality streams

10. rizzod

Australia
    got it working perfectly now. and now the wii u has become the ultimate entertainment device for me. lets hope nintendo dont screw this one up.

11. clay.r.08

Banned clay.r.08 Banned

United States
    maybe i will open my wii u , i bought it over a week ago brand new from ebay, i need to at least make sure its not broke

i dont have any games, is it free to download nintendo land ?

i would probably have to take that online update that so many people were saying can brick the wii u

how many gb was is that update, was it 8gb or more ?

i know i will need to hook up a hard drive to download nintendo land, is that game free ?

not really looking forward to testing if i cant even play a game

12. izzydeank

Banned izzydeank Banned

United States
    Nintendo Land is only free if you got the deluxe model. Its like $50 or something normally.

Oh and I think the update is only alittle over 1gb.

13. clay.r.08

Banned clay.r.08 Banned

United States
    i got the white wii u
    i plan on modding lots of other wii u's for years to come and needed to get use to the storage limitations of the white wii u and plan my mods around its limits anyways

elbe likes this.
  14. GorTesK

Member GorTesK Mad Hatter

Germany
    1 little Issue though. The WiiU doesn't properly remember my settings, any idea/workaround? Maybe there is a way to save those settings on the server/pc-side, so it counts for client devices?

15. e3xtreme
    OP

Newcomer e3xtreme Member

Austria
    Usually you can define server preferences and client preferences, but it also depends on the server version if everything works as it should. Thus only using the Browser I think there is no possibility in saving client preferences...
    BTW for all of you, that didn't figure out myPlex... it is for your mobile devices to watch movies etc. over 3g or wifi
    Maybe there will be a WiiU channel like netflix with settings etc... but I don't know who to develop it...

16. e3xtreme
    OP

Newcomer e3xtreme Member

Austria
    maybe it's a Port Problem --> forward 32400 to your Wii U

You can find a lot of descriptions and troubleshooting at www.plexapp.com and in their forums

17. rizzod

Australia
    i got it working fine.

18. PrimeX

Member PrimeX GBAtemp Regular

Romania
    I have some problems. Some movies that I don't have in the shared directory are showing up in the list. After a while of playing, movies are stoping with an error code...etc. Are there special settings for wii u transcoding?

19. ozl

Newcomer ozl Wii4everybody

Mexico
    I cant Forward the 32400 port in my WNR3500 NetgearN300 :( it gives me a message saying that the 32400 port is used already but its not, at least not manually, and if it is, why cant i see it?:

Any ideas?
    I am able to open plex app but it asks me for a login, do you still NEED Myplex on LAN?
    IT WORKS!!
    Ok what i did was go to http://my.plexapp.com from inside the Wii U Browser, and the i logged in, and clicked on Sign in. Click on “Servers.” You should see the server listed that is running on your computer. Click on it.
    In a box headed with the name of your server, click on “Plex/Web (NEW!)” This will take you to a page from which you can access all your libraries and channels.

Good day people!

20. dmillerzx

Newcomer dmillerzx Member

United States
    As far as streaming goes I'm having fairly good luck. Made me realize how out of wack my colors our for my Wii U input. However I haven't had any luck watching TV through the installed channels.

Hulu redirects you to download their app that only works for plus members.
    Colbert, Stewart, and Southpark only work up until the first commercial segment (stop around 9-10 minutes)
    CW and WB don't show any content
    History episodes fail to load.

Is anyone have any luck with any of this stuff? Or are you simply using plex for local media streaming?