Playing video games as a child could improve cognitive performance

1_5ZwioF6C8ttLo15sUb3iIw.jpeg

In the endless debate of whether or not video games are bad for you, or even possibly good for you, a new study provides insight into the matter once more. In a study that consisted of nearly 2,000 children, the ones that played video games for three hours a day or more did better than other children that did not play video games, when it came to skills like impulse control and memory. This is part of an ongoing study on cognitive development in adolescents. An MRI of the observed children in the video game-playing group showed that they had higher brain activity in the parts of their brains related to memory and attention, while the having less activity in the part of their brain that handles vision. The reasoning behind the latter statistic is attributed to the fact that kids who play games have brains that are more efficient at handling visual processing, because of the repetition and practice that video games require.

This study does not confirm ones that have come before it, that claim video games cause children or even adults to be more aggressive or depressed. However, they will continue to track that as the children mature, as this is a long-term study. Researchers involved say that despite the results, it doesn't mean you should allow kids to play video games endlessly, nor does it mean that any video game in general can cause a correlation to improved cognitive performance; the genre of game may impact that aspect, a detail that was not specified or studied.

While we cannot say whether playing video games regularly caused superior neurocognitive performance, it is an encouraging finding, and one that we must continue to investigate in these children as they transition into adolescence and young adulthood

The Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development Study (ABCD Study) is a long-term study taking place in the United States, which tracks the development of over 12,000 children as they age, and various factors that help or hinder their growth.

:arrow: Source

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
From my personal experience, video games DO improve cognitive functions and development but also affect social behavior. Playing only single player games do result in autism-like traits (like wanting to be alone) and even that is still affected by environmental factors (like being a single child or not having people around with similar interests). Those who played in groups were overall cognitively and socially advanced over others in their age and showed faster understanding of different situations.

Of course, that's only an observation and in no way an official study, but my own son (which I hand-select media he consumes) is currently showing the same advantages I hoped for from my observations. He's around 2 and a half years old and I was told by his KG teachers he's above others when it comes to learning and interactions and I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't screw him over or result in an unhealthy addiction.

• Haha
Reactions: elpapadelospollitos

elpapadelospollitos

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
From my personal experience, video games DO improve cognitive functions and development but also affect social behavior. Playing only single player games do result in autism-like traits (like wanting to be alone) and even that is still affected by environmental factors (like being a single child or not having people around with similar interests). Those who played in groups were overall cognitively and socially advanced over others in their age and showed faster understanding of different situations.

Of course, that's only an observation and in no way an official study, but my own son (which I hand-select media he consumes) is currently showing the same advantages I hoped for from my observations. He's around 2 and a half years old and I was told by his KG teachers he's above others when it comes to learning and interactions and I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't screw him over or result in an unhealthy addiction.
So everyone born before online gaming is fucked?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia

Tl; Dr God of War causes autism and Fortnite makes kids cooler.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
...the ones that played video games for three hours a day or more did better than other children that did not play video games, when it came to skills like impulse control and memory

In other words, when given a controller, researchers were baffled to find that the children who hadn't already been playing for three hours were slow to warm up to the "cognition test" (more gaming).

New title suggestion. Gamers gaming the gaming industry find that gamers can absolutely game.

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
So everyone born before online gaming is fucked?
Multiplayer games were invented way before online gaming, though Mario Party/Kart could get you to lose your friends :rofl:
Post automatically merged:

Tl; Dr God of War causes autism and Fortnite makes kids cooler.
Here's the fun part....
Playing highly repetitive games like Fortnite with zero interaction with story elements DID improve responses but had zero to negative effects on emotional development.
Playing games with actual stories entices the mind to develop those emotions and sympathize with characters and so on, resulting in said development.

Seriously speaking, if I wanted to raise a child to become a perfect soldier that only recieves commands to execute without question or thinking, I'd get him to play games like Fortnite non-stop. I sincerely hope only I think like that and not governments.

Last edited by Super.Nova,

jul16ares

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did rick dangerous, improves imagination better than uncharted ? AKA it was best before ?
(And yes it is not the same genre)

Last edited by jul16ares,

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While various studies like these over the years have yielded different results, it is clear that there are health benefits and detriments (mental & physical) to children playing video games. A lot depends on the nature of the game, how long it's played and what it's activities are.

I'd be most interested to see the findings of what happens when children play Rated M games (like GTA). I realize violent video games don't turn most people into psychopathic mass-murders (though they can wield a great influence on those already psychologically unstable). However, the influence can materialize itself in more subtle ways (like impatience, selfishness, lack of empathy, etc). For example: everyday I see young people operating motor vehicles on the road with no regard for traffic laws, the other drivers around them or pedestrians & bicyclists. They 'run' red lights and stop signs, cut other drivers off, not give the 'right of way', curse other drivers and pedestrians out and the list goes on.

I used to be afraid of dusty old farts on the road having an unexpected medical emergency causing accidents when they know the DMV should have revoked (or stopped renewing) their licenses years ago. Now it's these young punks driving recklessly. Many don't even have a license, or insurance for that matter, plus they are still rocking expired temp tags.

Sorry to rant, but every time i hear someone relate that they grew up playing GTA, it bothers me. I was almost 30 when the first one came out GTA 1 (so my brain was well past the developmental stage) and I never played it around my kids or let them play it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying