Playing online

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by aofelix, Feb 26, 2016.

1. aofelix
    OP

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    Hey guys, can someone remind me how to safely play online? I do have an original game with the header, but I've forgotten how to inject headers into games. I'm on mac OSX, do have access to windows PC if necessary.

For FE fates.

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    SkyArmyKnife (if using a Sky3DS) or Gateway Rom Patcher (if using Gateway).

Or you can convert the game to a .cia and install it (if on 9.2 firmware or below). CIA games are always safe (as long as you don't cheat online, or play online with an out-of-region game). I think the program is called simple cia converter (look it up on the forums).

3. Drowze

Drowze Advanced Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Brazil
    Worth a note: your existing save will be incompatible with the .cia version or the private header version.

4. ImInsane

ImInsane Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2014
    Brazil
    If u start a save without a private header, u need to start a new save or u cant play online.

5. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    Can't Nintendo tell if I am playing with a pirated CIA (made from a 3ds rom I downloaded)? I thought I needed to add a private header to the rom before converting and installing.

6. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    For cia games, a header isn't needed because they don't have cartridges and won't need any card id. I know there was a bunch of hullabaloo about getting banned for using public headers and stuff, but I'm still pretty convinced that most people were banned for cheating, not for pirating. I have played several out of region games online with both public and private headers, and haven't had any problems at all.

Last edited by Tomobobo, Feb 26, 2016
    Subtle Demise and AyanamiRei like this.
  7. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Part of the CIA conversion is removal of the header. CIA files don't have any at all.

8. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    Thank you, it is clearer now. It won't do anything to add one before conversion.

But how is playing online (linked to Nintendo) while being invisible (no cart identity) can be tolerated? o_o

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Last question: CIA installed after internet purchase have one, I suppose? (or anything identifying them) Is it workable?

sorry about the grammar, can't edit on n3DS

9. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Nope, nothing identifies them when installed on your console, purchased from eShop or downloaded :-) Except they can tell if you cheat and they can tell if you've got the wrong region game. That's really all they can do.

AyanamiRei likes this.
  10. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    Thank you, sorry for the questions, but I find this system so stupid I had some trouble understanding its logic. ^^"

Quantumcat likes this.
  11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Nope. You can extract the save with SaveDataFiler, svdt or Save Manager, import the private header then reimport your save. Worked just fine for me on every game I've done it on and I was able to play online afterwards.
    I've never heard of anyone getting banned from playing out of region games online and I've done so many times myself with no ill effects.
    Technically yes, they could compare your installed games/currently playing game to your eShop purchases, but it hasn't happened yet.
    The only bans from public headers I have heard of were due to people using the Sky3DS template.txt without adding a private header, it's a really easy way for Nintendo to detect pirates since the template.txt is publicly available and easy for Nintendo to find.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Feb 27, 2016
    Tomobobo and AyanamiRei like this.