Playing Ntsc games on Pal system (discs)

Colddeck84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi I have been searching all day everywhere trying to find a solution to play all ntsc games on pal wii system, it's my understanding one would needs some cios installed not sure which ones I need nor where to get em .

I have homebrew channel and priiloader installed.

On priiloader I have block updates on discs and system and region free everything. But some games I'm not able to run especially just dance 2019 and 2020 and MarioParty9 what will I need to get then to play whenever I try to start then I just end up with a black screen and I need to a hard reset to get back to the Wii menu.

Today I tried to make an ntsc system region free and mist of pal games worked but I ran into problem with Wii Sport?

What I'm I missing. Hope anyone more seasoned than me can help

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I have been searching all day everywhere trying to find a solution to play all ntsc games on pal wii system, it's my understanding one would needs some cios installed not sure which ones I need nor where to get em .

I have homebrew channel and priiloader installed.

On priiloader I have block updates on discs and system and region free everything. But some games I'm not able to run especially just dance 2019 and 2020 and MarioParty9 what will I need to get then to play whenever I try to start then I just end up with a black screen and I need to a hard reset to get back to the Wii menu.

Today I tried to make an ntsc system region free and mist of pal games worked but I ran into problem with Wii Sport?

What I'm I missing. Hope anyone more seasoned than me can help
What issues are you running into specifically?
Also what video cables & tv are you using?

Colddeck84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What issues are you running into specifically?
Also what video cables & tv are you using?
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the standard cables that came with the Nintendo Wii. For the most part I'm able to run many ntsc games but for the games I mentioned above (mp 9, just dance 2019 & 2020) I only get a black screen when I try run them.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for links i will continue my quest tomorrow to try this, but don't know where to start, parhaps I have an old version of priiloader?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the standard cables that came with the Nintendo Wii. For the most part I'm able to run many ntsc games but for the games I mentioned above (mp 9, just dance 2019 & 2020) I only get a black screen when I try run them.
Forcing video mode to pal 60hz doesn't work? Are you using usbloadergx? Make sure it's this version.
If the issue remains, try with Wiiflow Lite.
Also you might wanna post a syscheck.
And verify the hash of these games in WiiBackupManager to make sure they're not corrupted.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Primary you will need a USB Loader to be able to use the cios. And then try to run the game disc trough it, not the disc channel in Wii menu. First check the section used cios and out of region games. You are also able to dump the disc by USBLGX and to make game specific settings.
Priiloader v0.9 is latest, in the settings is a update option.

Colddeck84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Also I should mention that I have tested this on several pal systems with same setup letterbomb exploit and priiloader. I'm thinking I should mess around with some cios or wads but to be honest I don't what either of those are

Primary you will need a USB Loader to be able to use the cios. And then try to run the game disc trough it, not the disc channel in Wii menu. First check the section used cios and out of region games. You are also able to dump the disc by USBLGX and to make game specific settings.
Priiloader v0.9 is latest, in the settings is a update option.
Thank you for another swift response.

What do you mean by
"First check the section used cios"
Do you mean from the guide that was linked?

Are you telling me that I probably will not be able to run these games through the disc channel? That's a bummer I was really hoping something could be done to make them run through the disc channel because I could always just download these games play them from a USBloader not really the same authentic feeling doing it that way.

Last edited by Colddeck84,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cios are like driver to communicate with the hardware. The wii has different versions installed for compatibility reasons (older ones are not deleted, newer are put in higher slots). For deeper understanding >> Cyans cIOS explenation. For the Wii are four used, the IOS 38/56/57/58 and this are gonna patched with a dx2 patch into the empty slots 249/250/251. To be able to use external drives on a USB Loader with normal drive formates like fat32/ntfs/ext and modifications for homebrew.

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: Colddeck84

Colddeck84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Forcing video mode to pal 60hz doesn't work? Are you using usbloadergx? Make sure it's... version.
If the issue remains, try with...
Also you might wanna post a..
And verify the hash of these games in WiiBackupManager to make sure they're not corrupted.
You have given me a lot to consider I haven't tried anything besides the disc channel. Since so many of my NTSC games have been running just fine I have been under the impression that I would need some missing system files to make these particular games work.

The games have been tested on a ntsc system and works just fine.

I have not tried forcing any video mode how do one do that?

I can post a sys check if that helps

It's a lot info new info that needs to sink into my brain here :)

Here is the file had to convert to .txt

Have version 0.9.1 of priiloader just tested just dance 2019 and the icon in disc channel shows up but as soon as I try to run it entire screen gets black

Attachments

• SysCheck.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 35

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK, your running this original game discs through the disc channel in Wii menu. As i know not all games work this way. And you are not able atm to run them through a USB Loader because the cIOS are missing. Check >> cIOS on Wii

Anyway you will not able to run burned discs on the Wii without further modification (another drive or modchip), only if its a specific version. A thread about it.

Colddeck84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Another update have now tested with USB loader x and force pal 60, unfortunately didn't help

OK, your running this game discs through the disc channel in Wii menu. As i know not all games work this way. And you are not able atm to run them through a USB Loader because the cIOS are missing. Check >> cIOS on Wii

Will check cios on Wii, guess that's next logical step a little sad to hear not all games can run on the disc channel. Thanks for all the help

Another update have now tested with USB loader x and force pal 60, unfortunately didn't help

Will check cios on Wii, guess that's next logical step a little sad to hear not all games can run on the disc channel. Thanks for all the help
Will post an update after I install all files

OK, your running this game discs through the disc channel in Wii menu. As i know not all games work this way. And you are not able atm to run them through a USB Loader because the cIOS are missing. Check >> cIOS on Wii

Anyway you will not able to run burned discs on the Wii without further modification (another drive or modchip), only if its a specific version.
BTW this is not a burned disc but Orginal imported game from America but with all this hassle I can understand why people just do pirated games

Will post an update after I install all files

BTW this is not a burned disc but Orginal imported game from America but with all this hassle I can understand why people just do pirated games
May i ask what this mans from the documentation Make sure the lock switch is in the unlocked position when using the SD card, otherwise you will not be able to select the correct options in the installation

torrent_get

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you tried the beta release of priiloader which has a "launch disc" option.

I have used it with success with import discs on a PAL wii which would not boot from the system menu.

Colddeck84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Have you tried the beta release of priiloader which has a "launch disc" option.

I have used it with success with import discs on a PAL wii which would not boot from the system menu.
No I have not this might be interesting, will this launch the disc directly from priiloader? I'm currently installing wads and cios as suggested above. Just having a little break and rereading documentation

In the end I want the most authentic feeling when launching the game running the game through an USB loader is not what I really want but if its what it takes its better than nothing priiloader beta as you say may be viable option as well

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As you will try the beta of priiloader v0.10 beta1 thats not a fully verified functional version, best first install Bootmii into boot2 as additional brick protection thats allows you to dump the Nand and restore in case.

Colddeck84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Have now installed all wads and d2x
As you will try the beta of priiloader v0.10 thats not a fully verified functional version, best first install Bootmii into boot2 as additional brick protection thats allows you to dump the Nand and restore in case.
thanks for that tip maybe i will avoid this for now . have now followed your steps and installed cIos and
d2x cIOS Installer The game launched now through usbloadergx.

But I'm not sure my cd rom likes this disc never heard it worked so hard before, but it works . Can this be made more user-friendly? launching wasnt the best experience maybe a shortcut or something can be made? =)

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know its possible to create a channel for games in Wiimenu, which will launch the desired game in USBLGX. But cant tell for sure atm especially not for the discchannel.

Another solution would be to set USB Loader GX to autolaunch within Priiloader :
  • If on Wii want to auto-boot USBLoaderGX from Priiloader, do NOT install the loader's boot.dol in Priiloader! First install a forwarder channel (NOT _vWii.wad) to Wii menu, then Install into Priiloader the latest forwarder.dol for your console.

Colddeck84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I know its possible to create a channel for games in Wiimenu, which will launch the desired game in USBLGX. But cant tell for sure atm especially not for the discchannel.

Another solution would be to set USB Loader GX to autolaunch within Priiloader :
  • If on Wii want to auto-boot USBLoaderGX from Priiloader, do NOT install the loader's boot.dol in Priiloader! First install a forwarder channel to Wii menu, then Install into Priiloader the latest forwarder.dol for your console.
I tested a bit USBLoadergx and it has a sweet interface only thing is that the CD icon has a bit awkward placement but I'm sure I can get my kids to make this work
Maybe I'll read a little more about this tomorrow I would say this solved it in a neat way and USBLoadergx was definitely a good work around really like how you can make it looks almost exactly as the Wii menu. Thanks a lot for your time and help. I will definitely consider making it autolunch. Need to look more into this. Also an option would be to to have the game backed up to the loader all those options available :)

I tested a bit USBLoadergx and it has a sweet interface only thing is that the CD icon has a bit awkward placement but I'm sure I can get my kids to make this work
Maybe I'll read a little more about this tomorrow I would say this solved it in a neat way and USBLoadergx wasn't definitely a good work around really like how you can make it looks almost exactly as the Wii menu. Thanks a lot for your time and help. I will definitely consider making it autolaunch. Need to look more into this. Also an option would be to to have the game backed up to the loader all those options available :)

This latest tip will it replace the Wii menu completely or just on startup?

• If on Wii want to auto-boot USBLoaderGX from Priiloader, do NOT install the loader's boot.dol in Priiloader! First install a forwarder channel (NOT _vWii.wad) to Wii menu, then Install into Priiloader the latest forwarder.dol for your console.
Just woke up and I'm really excited to continue this project.

So it's my understanding I need to install this file first USB Loader GX-UNEO_Forwarder_5_1_AHBPROT.wad

Not entirely sure how to install a wad but have done before just don't remember how..
And second step is this file I presume
ForwarderV5.1.dol

Will the Wii menu be history after these steps? I think I need to buy a small flash drive as well, so much to do and so little time :)

Reactions: Sypherone

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This latest tip will it replace the Wii menu completely or just on startup?
No, it will not be replaced. It will only directly autostart the desired application.

So it's my understanding I need to install this file first USB Loader GX-UNEO_Forwarder_5_1_AHBPROT.wad
Yes correct, for installing wads you need a WADmanager like YAWMM.

And second step is this file I presume
ForwarderV5.1.dol
Also correct. You need to go into Priiloader menu --> install file --> install the usb loader gx Forwarder dol file
Then go to Priiloader settings --> autoboot settings --> installed file

I think I need to buy a small flash drive as well, so much to do and so little time :)
Nahhh, sorry not a good idea as they are (USB sticks, -pens,...) problematic on USB Loaders. Some work, most not. Therefore exist a compatibility list but it dont covers all flash drives. Recommended is a external hdd/sdd best from Western Digital + Y-Cable.
If you ran in problems using a external drive with USBLGX check the already mentioned guide. Mainly use MBR with fat32 (32k/64k) and in case there are initialization problems try another version of USBLGX or the alternativ cIOS setup.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not tried forcing any video mode how do one do that?
When on usbloadergx, click on the game, hit settings, and look for video mode and change it to whatever (if the game is not working).
Yes, use some_YAWMM_mod from the link above to install the forwarder wad to the home menu.
So i take it all your are working now, right?

Colddeck84

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When on usbloadergx, click on the game, hit settings, and look for video mode and change it to whatever (if the game is not working).

Yes, use some_YAWMM_mod from the link above to install the forwarder wad to the home menu.
Well

Yeah I guess I shouldn't have continued with questions after the original problem was solved but was so excited by the possibilities of usbloadrrgx

Edit: Also I would like to thank you both for taking interest in my thread and helping me find the correct course, much appreciated I would have spent countless hours figuring this out by myself without your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk