Homebrew Playing Gamecube Backups

JohnBotkin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to play GameCube back ups on a soft-modded Wii without installing anything to the Wii itself? Like maybe just an app you throw on the SD card or something. If it were possible, would it have to be burned to a disc or could it be played via SD card or HDD?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This question has been asked so many times its almost trolling.
Short answer: No you would have to at least install a hacked MIOS

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To play GameCube backups on a softmodded Wii, one needs to have a cMIOS installed and have an older disc drive. Newer disc drives cannot play backups of any kind.

JohnBotkin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short answer: No you would have to at least install a hacked MIOS
My mistake, my psychic abilities are fucked all kinds of up today. Also, is this as simple as installing something like d2x? If so please point me to a way that will help me do it.

JohnBotkin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii is almost a year old and does that mean they can't be stored on SD card or HD?
Your Wii is likely too old to play GameCube backups without a WODE. With just a softmod, GameCube backups can only be played off backup DVDs.
Well then, any links to a tut that can show me how to get this done? I'll try anything if it's possible with my type of Wii and whatever. Thanks for the info

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then, any links to a tut that can show me how to get this done? I'll try anything if it's possible with my type of Wii and whatever. Thanks for the info
I meant to say that your Wii was too new to play GameCube DVD backups, not too old. Anyway, since you likely cannot play DVD backups with your disc drive, your only options are to either get an older disc drive or buy a WODE.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

You could just read the forum a bit also.

He can just as well use an SDGecko with SWISS or Dios Mios Lite with *great* results, the fact that he may not have a drive that supports backups does not mean he won't be able to play them off the Memory Card slot or the SD slot using certain tools. If anything, it looks like it's you guys who need to read the forum a bit more - WODE is not the only option, neiter are "burned" discs so don't be Mr.Smarty Pants, don't complain and just answer his question to the best of your abilities.

Reactions: 1 person

JohnBotkin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi thanks for those methods and after I've read a little on how to do these, I've come to the conclusion that I am simply better off not trying to do it. I'd need some equipment I don't currently possess and maybe a little more know-how with Wii hacking in general. Thanks again.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Dios Mios Lite requires no extra equipment at all, just SNEEK+DI installed on your Wii. There's a ton of tutorials on how to prepare a Wii to use SNEEK, it shouldn't take you more than an hour to set it up.

It also saves your Wii from all possible NAND damage, since it uses emulated NAND = Virtually Unbrickable.

JohnBotkin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I just did a quick read through that one, I'll find a good tut and see if I can't make some magic happen. I don't really need to do this, I just thought "I already modded the damn thing, why not see what all i can do to it without breaking it." lol

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I see. Well, at least you have your answer:

Hardware Methods: SDGecko, WODE

Software Methods: Dios Mios Lite, Neogamma (If drive is compatible)

That's it, nothing else was done in the field.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==