Playing backups on old flashed console

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Yttrium, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Yttrium
    OP

Yttrium Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2013
    Some years back, my brother got an Xbox 360 and gave it to a guy to flash it. It worked well for a while but one day one of his friends accidentally connected it to the Internet and got the console banned. So when the console got RROD back in 2007 we were left with a useless brick.

But recently I found some guides online and successfully fixed it. I downloaded Gears of War 2 and burned it in a DVD+R DL (using abgx360) and it works perfectly. But then I tried burning Red Dead Redemption Game of the Year Edition (this time I used the .dvd file that was with the .iso if it makes any difference) but the console can't read it and it shows up as a DVD movie.

So what can I do to make RDR and other backup games work? I don't know what kind of hack that guy used (and I can't find him anywhere). I do know that the console is an old Xenon model (it uses component cables), it has a Toshiba/Samsung TS-H943A DVD drive and the dashboard version is 2.06717.0. I also have some .bin files that he told my brother to keep if that helps.

Lastly, playing original store bought games shouldn't be a problem right?

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Have you correctly patched the games?

3. Yttrium
    OP

Yttrium Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2013
    Yes I believe I have patched them correctly (no errors in agbx360). I'm thinking maybe the firmware version is old and doesn't support newer games? If that's the case is there anything I can do to update it without needing any extra hardware (or at the very least check what version/hack I have)?

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Humm..
    You could check if you got the correct SATA chipset by comparing your chipset to this
    Other then that, you'll need Jungleflasher (free software) and the Jungleflasher manual (comes with the download)

5. Yttrium
    OP

Yttrium Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2013
    Checked the SATA chipsets in all my computers and they are not compatible.

Is the reason that I can't play RDR that is has a different "wave" than GOW 2 that my firmware can't discover? If so is it possible to patch the newer games somehow to make them work in older firmware?

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    At the same time this gets tricky and you have several things working in your favour. RDR GOTY is way new (13th wave) and things we odd quite some time before then, there is such a thing as wave patching but realistically you are looking at upgrading your drive firmware to play anything remotely new. It has been too long and I am trying to go through my head for specifics here and relating them to dates and times and coming up short.

Still if it is 2007 or earlier then you are pre LT, indeed you are pre a lot of things which is quite nice as it means you can still get your serials easily enough. When you last used it things were pretty simple but they got ever so slightly more complex after that (still nothing you can not learn about inside 20 minutes reading).

Likewise what 360 firmware/dash are you on? Even with the Gears 2 update it should be before the August 11th 2009 cutoff which means you can try a JTAG hack if you want and that would be very nice for you (run things from hard drives, USB, have DLC, XBLA, hacked games, homebrew....).

7. Yttrium
    OP

Yttrium Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2013
    The dashboard version is 2.06717.0 (it's still on the blades menu the last one before NXE according to this).
    Like I said above I have no idea what hacked firmware I'm on as I didn't flash it myself.

I am only really looking to play Red Dead Redemption and a few other console exclusives at best (I have a pretty good PC) so I'm looking for any relatively easy hacks (i.e. not hardware purchases necessary) because I don't think it's worth it otherwise.

8. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    If it's still on 6717 then I suggest you getting it JTAGged.

It'll relief you of a lot of stress plus it allows you to boot homebrew/emulators etc.

9. Yttrium
    OP

Yttrium Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2013
    Like I said guys I am not looking for any hardware hacks. So far I have not found any guide that uses a JTAG hack that doesn't need any extra hardware parts but if you know of any by all means please share it. I only have some extra DVD+R DL discs to use.

I found this 360 Games Patcher. If I use this will RDR work on my console? Does it need/works with abgx360?

10. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    The original RDR will, the GOTY edition will not unless you reflash. Basically, let me break it down. The last dashboard that doesn't update the firmware was released in January 2011, and the last game that used this was Deus Ex Human Revolution (or rather, any game wave 11 or under will work). With that in mind, any game before Deus Ex Human Revolution, when patched with a waves patcher or used with a boot disc, will work on your console. If you want to play anything after that burned you have to update your drive firmware. If you have a PC with a SATA chipset this should be very easy, the JungleFlasher tutorial should give you all you need really. If you decide to not reflash you can find the update easily.

11. Yttrium
    OP

Yttrium Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2013
    Thank you that's exactly what I was looking for!

DinohScene said above that my SATA chipset must be from this list but no computers I have have any SATA chipsets from that list. Are you saying that I should try it anyway and that it might work?

12. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    It's worth trying. Any chipset could potentially work, it just might not yet be known to work yet. Try hooking it up and see if you can get it to show in JF. Make sure you follow the guide properly, there's a lot of small things that can prevent it from showing up so just make sure you're sure before you give up.

13. Yttrium
    OP

Yttrium Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2013
    Ok one last question: if I want to play pre-2011 (patched) games on my console do I have to apply any kind of dashboard update? If yes will that affect my ability to play backup games in any way?

Also will any game prompt me to update the dashboard and if so can I refuse to do so?

14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Quick rundown of DVD flashing and related concepts. I will be ignoring the king kong hack.

First there was DVD flashing, it was a dark time and over quickly enough which went into the (i)xtreme era.
    The early ixtreme era was simple enough with most of the trouble coming with new DVD revisions and methods to dump keys (give or take some hardware efforts earlier on in some revisions this was trivial right up until the liteon 7 series).
    Versions ticked along with bugs being fixed, new drives being released and yeah.
    Somewhere along the line people decided, in deference to tradition, that they should be able to play their copied games/hacked console on the online services for them and thus the "livesafe" mindset was born. At first this manifested as the low speed firmwares being removed (the 360 DVD drive runs at 12X but on some models that sounds like an engine just started up in your room). You might have been ejected at this point.
    Part of this livesafe stuff was checking the games in the drive to make sure they complied with what was known. For better or worse this meant that when new games came out with new waves (waves happened in response to the update bundled with the game) they might be flagged as bad burns and would not play. Most people just updated when this came along but this also led to wave patching which made newer games use older waves and thus be able to be used in the relevant firmwares.
    Later firmwares also had a so called activate.iso which made the DVD drive ignore its checks for that boot. Nicely enough we also got a hacked version of the firmware known as 1.6NS which always ignored the checks and worked with everything until things got really odd.
    There was also ixtreme LT which hit shortly after 1.6NS and solved this problem for good by also disabling checks. The problem with LT though was it required splitvid which was largely absent from early games (and early burns) and a handful of later ones as well so not everybody jumped to it. LT also meant extracting serials if you did not have them was not really doable with a further hack (like JTAG).
    The rise of AP2.5, AP2.6 and such like. Originally just 6 games (give or take a few quirks here and there) but that did include a COD, a halo and other games fans of multiplayer go in for. There were some quirks with beta dashboards and such that allowed you to still run a handful but eventually if you wanted this you would have to upgrade to LT and reburn. As newer games were coming out that required later dashboards (but not necessarily a DVD update) you faced not being able to play those games, seen as the original AP2.5 titles were largely online things this was not so troubling.
    MS played hack, counter hack for a while here and they finally lost that battle with an update to LT and a final reburn.
    The rise of XGD3. Technically all XGD3 games sport some variation of AP2.5 but that was kicked in the head as part of getting it to work. For various reasons MS introduced a new version of their disc format which meant most drives had to be reflashed with a new firmware by MS to work with it. It took a long time between the beta and the first games to use it though so it was sorted quickly enough. More troubling is it can not be burned by normal drives so you will need a special drive to burn it (consider the odd cuttoff/overburn stuff a nonworking method of the past), originally this was a short list of drives and predictably they got quite expensive. Nowadays there is a more annoying softmod method (you have to run a program when you want to burn it) but they are slightly easier to get your hands on.
    Not every new game uses XGD3 but if it is a notable one you can be reasonably certain it will.
    On Deus ex. lisreal2401 is half accurate here -- the scene release of Deus ex and many releases around the world legitimately did not feature the update that reflashed DVD drives. However there were other releases in various places that did feature the update. Basically every game since will do the update and you will not be able to get around it with your current setup. RDR GOTY is definitely in this category, original RDR less so.
    Along the line the xbox slim got introduced and with it a whole new load of drive models, now we get things like the kamikaze mod, replacement boards and more but in terms of MS moves beyond that there was nothing really.
    Also along with all this there came ODDEs which act like a DVD drive but instead direct reads to a USB drive, they are good but quite expensive.

It was killed in the August 11th 2009 update but there also came to pass the so called JTAG hack. Assuming you have a parallel port and a tiny bit of soldering skill you can do this with about £10 and a trip to maplins (a few diodes, some wires, maybe some resistors and you are golden). I know it is a RROD recovered 360 and so quite likely to die but a JTAG machine is a very nice thing to have.
    Somewhat later an equivalently powerful hack known as RGH appeared though it requires actual chips and proper soldering, what dashboard you are on troubles.

Links as just to make this a tiny bit more complete
    http://abgx360.net/verified.php -- nice listing of what wave goes with what. Anything above 11 reflashes it.
    http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=6 will tell you when something was released and if it is XGD3 or not.

Finally I am not sure what goes as far as blocking JTAG goes (technically it is not the dashboard update but a related update) but you should be able to refuse updates as far as DVD stuff is concerned.

Assuming you do not want to play the AP2.5 games (Halo: Reach, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Fable III, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood) and are quite happy to stop at Deus Ex you could probably just about get sorted with what you have now if you are willing to fiddle with lots of isos. Personally I would consider it a waste of discs but to each their own.
    On the other hand if you have your serial or just dump it as and when, do not care about JTAG or RGH (they really are quite nice but again if you have an RROD fixed board its lifetime is typically measured in weeks) and a compatible chipset (you can still just about buy a PCI card to do it with for about £5 on amazon -- via 6421) most of what I just said was a quick history. You will need to find something to burn the new games too. There is a good chance you will have to scrap your existing games (you can fix them with ABGX360 and reburn) if you do this though.