Play as Opposite Gender in Games?

Do you play as the gender opposite of your own in games?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I won't go into too much detail here, but the poll is fundamentally flawed. There are some games, for example Final Fantasy X-2, where you have no choice but to play as a female character, even if you are male. For female gamers most games are male-oriented, so if you're a fan of Halo, you're playing as Master Chief, and so on.

I personally don't play as the opposite gender unless I'm required to. Not because I dislike playing as a woman, but rather because I like to think of each character I'm playing as as an extension of myself. I try and get into the headspace of the character and plan my actions around their personality, but also my own.

So for example in an MMORPG, I really want the character I'm playing as to be a, say, medieval slightly altered version of myself. I don't play them as if they are a games, something to accomplish, but rather as a temporary substitute reality. To me games are the truest form of escapism. A place where you can be the you you've always wanted to be but perhaps couldn't due to the restraints of reality.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If I consider the person I play an avatar, I choose a male style, but if I see it as a character, no restrictions on the gender. It does get a little awkward when other players think it is an avatar and start hitting on it, though, but for people less honest than me, that can be exploited.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I play as males.
I only play as females if the males don't look attractive
(This is why it takes me about an hour on create-your-own-character games)

Sanderino

I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
DJ91990 said:
1. Do you play as a gender opposite of your own in games (I.E. Guy playing as a Girl, vice-versa) and do you enjoy it?
2. Do you think those that engage in this act of Gender Freedom are freaks, pervs, etc?
3. Also how convincing are you in portraying that gender role?

1. No, I always play as my own gender, male.
smile.gif

2. No, I don't. everybody mustbe free to do what they like, And that's the way it is.
3. Really well. I always want to make the character look like me.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I mostly play as a male character, though if the game requires you to, I'll play as a female character of course.

Otherwise, I might play as a female character if they have different stats to males, or just have cooler equipment [eg: in Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, I play as Aqua, because I always pick the water starter in Pokémon - weird correlation, I know - and because I don't like how Ventus looks just like Roxas (and Terra just looks weird)].

gameboy13

Orange and fluffy since 1995.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do if you have to play as a female. (For instance, the Metroid games and Mirror's Edge.) Also, I don't think people who play as the opposite gender sometimes are freaks, unless they consistently pick it.

xxteargodxx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I play as what I am a man. I really dislike it when people (In MMORPG's) play as their opposite gender, pisses me off.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only when the character has better weapons/moar awesome magik Spelz (derp), otherwise it's a llliiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttllle unsettling.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only play as a guy if forced to. Most games out there star male characters so I don't really have much of a choice. I really don't care what gender you are in a game, well I mean what you care to play as. It's your choice. My opinion will change nothing.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's a big deal. I do it in roleplaying games (where you make your own character, or choose, like DQ9), because I enjoy actually roleplaying, and I can never roleplay as a guy - it just feels like I'm playing a game. And then the habit just carried over to other games.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Rydian said:
A wise man once said you should pick your videogame character based on how good their ass looks, because it's what you'll be seeing most of a time...
^
Male>Female here unless there is some benefits or for the looks. Execpt pokemon.. Always went female there for some reasons.

mAlvarado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I always use female on pokemon games, in my opinion better sprites than male.

On the crystal chronicles series play the main character as female, I think the same that pokemon, but however, it is just kill monsters and finish the game.

All the other games, as male

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.