• Start date
  • Views 4,170
  • Replies 49

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country

If you're going for sarcasm, you do realize that tone doesn't carry over text. Also...
Yea I noticed thus why I usually ask when I assume it might be sarcasm

yes, its not that japan dev decline. there are a lotta good games that are still in japanese and not translated.
The reasons for this would usually vary from they assume it won't sell well, not socially acceptable in X country or they can't be bothered.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes, its not that japan dev decline. there are a lotta good games that are still in japanese and not translated.
The reasons for this would usually vary from they assume it won't sell well, not socially acceptable in X country or they can't be bothered.

Or the games range from not having a chance of commercial success to being complete bullshit.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country

Or the games range from not having a chance of commercial success to being complete bullshit.
Well obviously no one wants shovelware in the first place but I was talking about others like Jump Ultimate Stars and those that don't get released.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well obviously no one wants shovelware in the first place but I was talking about others like Jump Ultimate Stars and those that don't get released.

I wasn't talking about shovelware, I'm talking about games which just aren't any good a.k.a anything developed by Imagepoch.

In the case of JUS, the big problem in bringing it over it was due to licensing issues among the different characters.

Reactions: 1 person

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country

I wasn't talking about shovelware, I'm talking about games which just aren't any good a.k.a anything developed by Imagepoch.

In the case of JUS, the big problem in bringing it over it was due to licensing issues among the different characters.
Imagepoch's PSP stuff is alright actually thats wrong, the only ones I liked was Fate/Extra and CCC which got delayed and i'm hoping Sol Trigger is good. Otherwise I'm more of a Bandai Namco person myself lately even if almost to none of their PSP stuff make it to outside Japan.

True still i'm sure alot of people were hoping for it to be released before the english patch. Still its a shame that a console's lifespan is shorter here than in Japan. I mean the PSP is still alive there and getting new stuff...mostly ports and a few originals but atleast something.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well obviously no one wants shovelware in the first place.

Perhaps I am twisting your words, but the line between shovelware and not is very very blurred and even more so when we move in these sorts of circles. It is not a new phenomenon either and some of what might be dismissed has sometimes been a great example of a title (I look at the likes of the branded platformers from the 8 and 16 bit era).

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Well obviously no one wants shovelware in the first place.

Perhaps I am twisting your words, but the line between shovelware and not is very very blurred and even more so when we move in these sorts of circles. It is not a new phenomenon either and some of what might be dismissed has sometimes been a great example of a title (I look at the likes of the branded platformers from the 8 and 16 bit era).
Well you're not twisting them that much since you're right that a game that is considered boring and horrible in Japan might actually be a hit in the US/EU, of course now looking back there might be some gems that were missed.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking more of some of the entries in my card games topic ( http://gbatemp.net/topic/332152-card-games-on-the-ds-a-discussion-of-things/ ), many of the film/cartoon/TV show tie in games (I hold Dexter's lab chess is the best chess game on the GBA and there were some stunning ones otherwise) and such that people usually are all too quick to stick with the shovelware label.

Others reading, on a marginally related note http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,15049.0.html could be worth a look.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Personally I like games from both, I spent weeks in Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 (both of them) and then there's games like Neverwinter Nights 2 (my fave PC game in the past decade), one thing I've noticed is that there's a lot of western devs that call themselves indie, and release boring games that I find as crappy, not because they're cheaply made or anything, they just lack anything interesting to go on (although there's a few that I actually enjoy like Lone Survivor and Jamestown), as for Japanese games, I often get immersed with them and tbh, most of my games are Japanese, I love the DQ series and own a copy of all the games that were released here the same applies for Star Ocean and a few other series, then there's games like Tales and .Hack, which I can't help but love.

In a way they're pretty dif styles, but I enjoy any, as long as I have fun with them (although one of the reasons why I like western ones, is because most let me create my own char, otherwise I don't like them (exception being The Witcher) whereas in Japanese games, I just wanna be immersed in the characters and their stories DQV had the best story for a j-rpg as far as fantasy goes).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj