Platinum on Japan dev 'decline': 'Tons of terrible Western

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Sep 26, 2012.

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada

"I don't like it when people lump Japanese games developers all together into one group. Frankly, I think it's a joke. What do these people know?"

"Think about Western developers. There are many Western developers making terrible games, and then you see one like Infinity Ward making a game that sells 20 million and everyone goes, 'hey, Western developers are amazing!'

"There are tons of terrible Western developers, just like there are tons of terrible Japanese developers. To lump studios together in great masses misses the point."

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance director Kenji Saito added:

"I don't think there's a need to be down on Japanese games in general. Platinum is a company that is trying to push to the front and do big things. But I think it's true that some Japanese developers are still making Japanese games, and trying to maintain their status quos - that's their whole strategy."

The never-shy Inaba interrupted: "They're falling behind then, right?"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/369953/platinum-on-japan-dev-decline-there-are-tons-of-terrible-western-studios-too/

I can't agree with him more. I don't see this decline of Japanese devs that some proclaim. We got craploads of great games from both Western and Japanese studios this gen.

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well there's great Japanese devs. Like Platinum Games. And, um...

I'm drawing a blank.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I think the original concern was good studious pushing games with less than stellar reputations.

4. soulx
    OP

Canada
    I really hope you aren't serious.

We have Konami, Nintendo, Sega (Sonic Generations and Rhythm Thief), Level-5, Square Enix (TWEWY, Tactics Ogre), Atlus, Capcom, Bamco, Tecmo Koei and more. And don't even get me started with the hundreds of stellar Japanese-developed games released this-gen.

12 people like this.
  5. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Some folks might say XSEED, Atlus, tri-ace, etc.

EDIT: :ninja:

@[member='soulx']: Square-Enix hasn't been putting out quality games lately.

5 people like this.
  6. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    I'd vote for Cing myself being one of the better Japan devs but they dead now. Enjoying 5 out of the 8 games they made seems good enough odds to me

1 person likes this.
  7. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Which is unfortunate. Their older-gen games were much better. Most of what they sell now is eye candy.

2 people like this.
  8. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    The world ends with you was not bad.

9. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    And this has made me seen everything about who he really is. It's unfortunate really. I actually pity those who only follow western developers .

8 people like this.
  10. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Which is about 4/5 years old now.

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Thought I'd highlight Tecmo Koei because they are the exact definition of a bad dev.

Also let's see... Konami is more of a publisher. Anything good they do is the work of Kojima Productions or whoever made Castlevania from SotN to Dawn of Sorrow. Level-5, I really don't see the hype, I don't give a shit. Square Enix, lol. TWEWY wasn't that good and Tactics Ogre was a remake. Atlus, yeah, they make some good stuff occasionally, mostly it's catering it a niche crowd if it isn't SMT or the oddball like Catherine. Capcom, only things I can say I've enjoyed from in this generation honestly is Dragon's Dogma and Dead Rising 2 unless I'm missing something. Bamco did like SCIV and Endless Frontier.

I love western games in general and love them a lot more than Japanese ones. Mass Effect 3 will beat most any Japanese game any day in my book.

12. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    I think in general western devs see game development as a job, while japanese devs see it as an art. That's just my uneducated opinion though.

13. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    For Square Enix , how 'bout Kingdom Hearts DDD?

14. soulx
    OP

Canada
    • Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
    • Vanquish
    • Dark Souls
    • Hotel Dusk/Last Window
    • Zelda: Skyward Sword
    • Ghost Trick
    • Bayonetta
    • Professor Layton series
    • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker/MGS4
    • Monster Hunter Tri (I know you hate MH but lots do like it)
    • Xenoblade
    • Ni No Kuni
    • NSMB. Wii/Super Mario 3D Land
    • Rhythm Heaven
    • The World Ends with You
    • Radiant Historia
    • SMT: Strange Journey
    • Smash Bros. Brawl
    • Resident Evil: Revelations
    • Nier
    • Catherine
    • Persona 4
    • Valkyria Chronicles
    • No More Heroes
    • MadWorld
    Need I go on? There have been lots of stellar games from both Western and Japanese devs alike. I don't see this decline in Japanese games at all. Their output this gen was more than adequate, especially with handhelds.

7 people like this.
  15. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Don't worry, it's just Guild, no sense arguing with him, he ain't gonna listen.

4 people like this.
  16. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I'll chip in my two cents.

I think the big problem is that Western developers have taken the reigns when it comes to pushing forward storytelling in games. When I think of powerful, gripping stories in recent years, I think of games like Bioshock, or the Mass Effect franchise, all of which came from the West. I've played plenty of Japanese games and enjoyed them, sure, but they often lack that punch a strong narrative can provide. I had fun with Resident Evil 5 and Spec Ops: The Line, but my frantic search for Konrad in the ruins of Dubai is going to stick with me a lot longer than... uh... that time I shot Wesker? You shoot Wesker, right?

(There's obviously going to be exceptions, but this is just the general trend I've noticed)

1 person likes this.
  17. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you mean since the merger

1 person likes this.
  18. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    I actually don't think Square Enix and Capcom count this gen but I never really got why someone who calls themselves a gamer plainly disregard and bash anything made in Japan and worshiping only western devs

19. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    I find the storytelling to be a little subjective I mean the stories from what I seen from Japanese devs are more centered around a group of characters and how they interact with each other and stuff rather than something worldwide or just one character I mean all those games you listed to me have more of a focus only on a more world-like story or just focuses on the player character and nothing else.

20. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I don't quite buy that. To go back to my examples, take Mass Effect; sure, there is the overarching plot with the Reapers, but Shepard's interactions with his squadmates is just as essential to the story. The camaraderie between Walker and his men, and how it disintegrates over the course of their hellish experiences in Dubai, is a very key element.

On the other hand, games like TWEWY or the Persona series (from what I understand) have their stories driven by some greater threat. They aren't just character study and nothing else.