Gaming Planning to buy a modded Xbox360

Serabii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello GBATemp

There are a lot of games on the 360 that I so wanted to play and now 360's price has dropped and as a cheap bastard I can now buy a 360 but I can't buy a lot of games for the console and planning to mod the 360 and I wanted to ask you guys somethings:

1. I've heard a lot of banned XBL accounts due to modified 360s, is this true?
2. Other than the warranty being void, what other things should I know of a modified 360?

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Serabii said:
Hello GBATemp

There are a lot of games on the 360 that I so wanted to play and now 360's price has dropped and as a cheap bastard I can now buy a 360 but I can't buy a lot of games for the console and planning to mod the 360 and I wanted to ask you guys somethings:

1. I've heard a lot of banned XBL accounts due to modified 360s, is this true?
2. Other than the warranty being void, what other things should I know of a modified 360?

1. Don't worry about it. The current firmware and discs don't get you banned. But that could change soon when the new Fall update comes around.

gaboumafou

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You need to know that the new Xbox 360 consoles (with Liteon drive) CAN'T be modded. For now, anyway...
rolleyes.gif

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's always a risk that you'll get banned when using pirated software, so don't think you're going to always be in the clear just because it hasn't happened recently.

That said, I've use XBL with a modded 360 with both an original and pirated game and it worked fine.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gaboumafou said:
You need to know that the new Xbox 360 consoles (with Liteon drive) CAN'T be modded. For now, anyway...
rolleyes.gif

Can read the key and spoof info now though , so while the drive itself can't be done , you can get the key and spoof info and change it to one of the older hackable drives
smile.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dont you need to do soldering to get the key?
you are stuck in the same boat as the old 79 drives (before they finally got softmod exploit out)
http://www.devilsps3.centelia.net/liteon/
by the looks of it, insane amount of modifying, soldering, ect... just to get a key and you still have to buy another dvd drive, not really worth it

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes you need to solder. Not an insane amount though. When it comes down to it , it's 6 points. Power ,ground , tx , rx and two points to be bridged.

The bulk of that guide is made up from if you want to mod a connectivity kit to do it , so it's just plug in and go (still need to bridge two points) , just usefull if you want to do multiple drives and the diagram for the adapter if you want to make one yourself. The modding of the connectivity kit is totally optional and the adapter can be bought prebuilt , so it basically comes down to soldering 6 points.

Nothing like the 79 , 79=10 or so wires , decent amount of experience needed as alot of them were small and close together + passkey. Lite-on= 4 easy points and two bridges + an adapter that can be bought or made cheaply.

More effort than the other drives , but still not really that difficult and end of the day you either go through that , or enjoy your originals.

Serabii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
oh I see so I'll just avoid too much connecting online.. what if the modchip has a switch on it? will that help?

does the games on the 360 required some update(s) or have an updater or something inside the disc? (like on the Wii)

@science
you mean the new dashboard update? why is there any news about modded 360's?

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Serabii said:
oh I see so I'll just avoid too much connecting online.. what if the modchip has a switch on it? will that help?

does the games on the 360 required some update(s) or have an updater or something inside the disc? (like on the Wii)

@science
you mean the new dashboard update? why is there any news about modded 360's?

Well first, the 360 needs no modchip so you can't switch it on or off. Either your firmware is modded or it ain't, simple. If a game needs to be updated, then it will alert you as soon as the game loads. It'll disconnect you from Live, dl and install the update, then reconnect you. Also, if a game requires an update and you refuse to let it update, you won't be able to play that game online until you do update it.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Connect online as much as you can. Playing online for a few months and getting banned is better than playing offline for a few months and getting banned anyway when you go online.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
754boy said:
If a game needs to be updated, then it will alert you as soon as the game loads. It'll disconnect you from Live, dl and install the update, then reconnect you. Also, if a game requires an update and you refuse to let it update, you won't be able to play that game online until you do update it.

can you remove the update from the disc like you can on the wii?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
754boy said:
If a game needs to be updated, then it will alert you as soon as the game loads. It'll disconnect you from Live, dl and install the update, then reconnect you. Also, if a game requires an update and you refuse to let it update, you won't be able to play that game online until you do update it.

AFAIK, The updates aren't on discs, they're sent to your 360 when you connect to Xbox Live. If you just put in a game that needs an update, while offline, it wont say you need an update or anything.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jalaneme said:
Update comes from MS server. If you don't connect to Live, you can bypass the update check.

For example, games like KUF:COD, Too Human or Fable 2 share characters data in single player and multi-player. So if there's an exploit for quick EXP or money and patch comes out, you can use the exploit offline and then download the update and go online.

You can even delete updates, so the whole "update from server" system can be exploited.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1