Hacking xbox360 slim 120mm fan mod + fan override + no dvd /internal external hdd mod

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So recently i check upon my old 360 and found out that my fan was on his last leg then i thought about buying a new fan but buying is always a bad thing how about i do it from scratch
i looked into my electronic parts bin and found an mystery corsair fan it should be a "ml 120" but it has 2 blades more than a regular ml120 fan

But now comes the catch most if not every 360 models uses "mini pwm" or " gpu fan " header so an adapter would be needend i found one on ebay that worked nicely
while browsing ebay i came across a fan override mod from circuit surgery wich allows you to override the console’s fan speed signal and allows console to take over if necessary.

20220705_162913.jpg

after a few days both things arrived and i started to take the 360 apart but then a new problem started to appear the 120mm and the dvd drive together wouldnt fit
so i took the dvd drive out but if you would try to start the 360 without a dvd drive it would give you a error so the solution is to set a jumper
20220705_145144.jpg

after setting the jumper i saw that i had plenty of new room in my 360 so i thought how about i put my external in the free space and oddly it fitted perfectly
20220705_145227.jpg

but again a new problem came up how would it fit in the case ? + the external was laying on the capacitators and on the coolrunner chip
so i took a dremel and modified the internal hdd holder + the front and top panel
20220705_151356.jpg

after the dremel work it would fit nicely together and i routed the fan control to the hdd opening so its easier to set the fan speed
20220705_170117.jpg

and heres a view from the front with the external hdd inside and yeah i could have took the external also apart and do some kind of internal soldering to power the hdd but it was to much hussle for me
20220705_170126.jpg

now that thats complete i took the 360 for a testplay i played fable anniversary for about an hour and i couldnt hear the fan + the xbox didnt had that much of a struggle to keep the targeted 60 degrees celsius

all in all it was a nice project for me

EDIT: Another information i forgott to add you can also use the fan and heatsink from a xbox one s

Last edited by rantex92,

hecker_isaac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry to bring up an old thread but I was planing on doing a 120mm rgb fan mod to my 360 slim, could I just use a 4 pin fan?

hecker_isaac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
srry for late answering

and yes but you will need an adapter (https://www.ebay.de/itm/184516003772?chn=ps)
ty, ill prob just strip the wire on my current fan, something fell into it and somehow broke part of a fan blade
Post automatically merged:

also do u have pics of the end result? like what does it look like from the outside

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ty, ill prob just strip the wire on my current fan, something fell into it and somehow broke part of a fan blade
Post automatically merged:

also do u have pics of the end result? like what does it look like from the outside
you could do that but i would check if the pinout is the same iirc
they should be mixed up (just use + and - pwm signal will not work** the fan would always run at 100%* )

*i would recommend to do a 12v mod for the fan since without it it will be capped at 5v and will not run at full power

**if you want to control your fan you would need a fan override mod

and yes i could take another picture but there wouldnt be much to see it just looks like a normal slim model

hecker_isaac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, ty. tho i would kinda want it to run quiet, which is why I'm not just buying a replacement fan. i might make an intake at the top of the box (I have mine standing) using some small raspberry pi fans.

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ok, ty. tho i would kinda want it to run quiet, which is why I'm not just buying a replacement fan. i might make an intake at the top of the box (I have mine standing) using some small raspberry pi fans.
depends on your xbox model for instance you shouldnt do an intake on an corona/slim since its cooling is depending on sucking the air to cool all the components

even on my project that little dremel work impacted negatively the airflow sure cpu got better cooling but the ram runs hotter

if you want quiet and cool you could try to build an aio hybrid watercooling system in your xbox thats what i will be doing when i have the spare parts around

hecker_isaac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depends on your xbox model for instance you shouldnt do an intake on an corona/slim since its cooling is depending on sucking the air to cool all the components

even on my project that little dremel work impacted negatively the airflow sure cpu got better cooling but the ram runs hotter

if you want quiet and cool you could try to build an aio hybrid watercooling system in your xbox thats what i will be doing when i have the spare parts around
mine is a corna slim so ill keep that in mind. but what about the stands they make for slims?

Watercooling? i was thinking about that tbh but it seems like a lot of work. if u do go through with it def post about it. if I did do watercooling I would prob just put the 360 in a cheap gaming pc case

stands

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mine is a corna slim so ill keep that in mind. but what about the stands they make for slims?

Watercooling? i was thinking about that tbh but it seems like a lot of work. if u do go through with it def post about it. if I did do watercooling I would prob just put the 360 in a cheap gaming pc case

stands
dont use those stands most of them arent realy cooling anything and some of them even blows hot air back into the system

i will definetly post about it and i think your small pc case idea is very good didnt thought about that myself
i would have probably just slapped the radiator on top and called it a day

hecker_isaac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good to know!

yea, there are a couple of people who have put Xbox 360s in a PC case and there are plenty of diagrams on how to use a PC psu and how to wire the ring of lights and extend it so you can still use the original button and controllers since it is also a controller receiver. and if u didn't want to go through with water cooling you could prob just get a copper heatsink, since they distribute heat better than aluminum. it wouldn't be silent but you will see performance gains.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think...