Hacking Planning on getting just a 2DS

DavGerm4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the hacking of the 9 firmware, I've been thinking of getting just a 2DS for now, until the new 3DS comes out in the states. I just had a few questions, I know i'm a noob with the 3DS, but it's only because I'm busy in the Xbox Scene.

Anyway, If I get a 2DS, will any of the new ones ship with a newer firmware that isn't known about yet? Like they have these 2 versions available around thanksgiving that are only $99, so I was planning on just picking up one of them. Also, from my understanding the NINJAHAX works with just homebrew correct? Or does it allow for games to be played off of SD Card, or something similar?

And then, since I've read mostly about the Sky3DS card, should I just wait and get a Gateway, because they are a load cheaper?

Thanks for the help!

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah you should buy a 2DS now and update it to 9.2 and wait until Gateway team reveals what they have in store for firmware 9.2.
I don't recommend spending money on Sky3DS because I'm pretty sure Gateway is better in every aspect. (it also costs less)

Ninjhax plays only homebrew, not roms.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gateway wont currently work on a 2ds. They did announce they are gonna add support for newer firmwares but I would wait (on getting gateway) until that happens. Gateway currently doesnt work on frimware past 4.5 and 2ds starts at minimum of 6. You can however use a regular ds flash cart, I like the dstwo by far for this. Currently ninjahax only works for homebrew, they could change or may never change. Sky3DS will work on your 2ds but it only supports 10 games and you cannot change the games so once your write your games you are pretty much stuck with them.

normally I would say get 3dsxl instead of 2ds (im not a fan on its tablet like design aka non folding) but as you said the new 3ds is around the corner...

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
Anyway, If I get a 2DS, will any of the new ones ship with a newer firmware that isn't known about yet? Like they have these 2 versions available around thanksgiving that are only $99, so I was planning on just picking up one of them. Also, from my understanding the NINJAHAX works with just homebrew correct? Or does it allow for games to be played off of SD Card, or something similar?

I got a 2DS about 6 months ago, and it was on 6.0. I would assume many of the 2DSes are on 6.0.

Yes, NINJAHAX just supports homebrew. The big problem with NINJAHAX, right now, is the availability of the Cubic Ninja game. Currently it's running about $35 on ebay.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Well, there's drama going on elsewhere on how Ninjhax (Cubic Ninja) may actually allow kernel access, and that Smea gimped it for release to prevent piracy.
On the one hand, if you buy Cubic Ninja for $35 and this turns out to be false, you paid quite a bit for just homebrew.
On the other hand, if you don't buy Cubic Ninja and this turns out to be true, you're now looking at prices of $60+ for Cubic Ninja.

All in all, the GW will be a safe choice for $60, even $80 once 9.2 support is added. If that never materializes, Cubic Ninja will be a good backup.

FWIW, my 2DS from late August came with 6.X IIRC.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cubic Ninja should come down again, but I'm sure there will be stubborn scalpers that won't budge on getting less than $40 for a copy for a bit longer.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Nintendo starts creating firmwares and loading them on hardware that's out in the B&Ms to buy before it's available through wi-fi, that will be a strange time indeed.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
If you are concerned, just don't get one of the two newest colors and go for an older color instead. You can absolutely guarantee that any 2DS you pick up of the old colors will be below 9.0 since the 2DS doesn't sell nearly as much as its fold-able, 3D counterpart. Otherwise, Nintendo has already finished production on these, so although they may come with 9.2, you can be absolutely certain that they won't come with anything above that.

I doubt we'll see a firmware version above 9.2 until Nintendo finds a way to at least patch the userland access granted by SSSpwn. Then you can pretty much guarantee that, at that point, we'll get a firmware >9.2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ancientboi lost his virginity in a crowd +1