Android Planning on getting HTC Desire.

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
So I have decided on moving on from my Nokia 5700 Xpress Music to HTC Desire. And I wanted to know, which one is better? HTC Desire or HTC Desire Z?? The HD version Desire doesn't have pretty reviews (when compared to the original Desire) so that one is out of the question.

And by the way, is there a screen difference in HTC Desire handsets?? Because I read something like this "HTC Desire comes with AMOLED Screen OR Super LCD", if that's the case, which one should I get??

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Go for the Z. I've got one, and love it to bits. The normal desire's hardware is outdated. My desire Z with a slower processor performs better then the normal one. But, and this is a big but, if you don't text/ping/e-mail/browse the temp/whatever, the keyboard won't be of much use to you, and you'd be better of saving a couple of bucs.
Also, I've had a couple of problems with mine. Bluetooth won't turn on sometimes (still don't know if that's android or the hardware itself), the keyboard can be a bit flimsy sometimes. When you're laying down, it likes to fold back.
But, that said, it has got fewer problems then the original desire, wich a friend of mine has. His processor has already blown once, his camera is dying and a load of other little niggles.

As for the screens, you can't really tell the difference. Both look amazing.

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
My budget ain't much and I know the Desire Z has a keyboard but personally I don't like phones with a keyboard since I don't have much need for them (I only text, no e-mailing and all). Your reply was a tad bit late xD I already got the HTC Desire, though it's not in my hand atm (Mom bought it from abroad, she will be home by 15th Jan).

EDIT:- About the problems with the Desire, it's fine. Every phone has flaws.
By the way, I saw HTC Desire reviews at CNET and 90% of them were 4.5 or above (out of 5.0)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The HTC Desire used to be known as the "ultimate smartphone", because it had so many features packed into it. It's now a bit old and when compared to its peers, it starts to show.

The HTC Desire HD kinda takes over the roll of "ultimate smartphone", except that some people find the screen too big and the battery too weak (in fact, it's only weak because the Snapdragon CPU is very power efficient). Personally I love it, and the battery can easily last 2-4 days.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Originality said:
(in fact, it's only weak because the Snapdragon CPU is very power efficient)
Surely if it were more efficient the power would last for longer?
unsure.gif

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
The HTC Desire used to be known as the "ultimate smartphone", because it had so many features packed into it. It's now a bit old and when compared to its peers, it starts to show.

The HTC Desire HD kinda takes over the roll of "ultimate smartphone", except that some people find the screen too big and the battery too weak (in fact, it's only weak because the Snapdragon CPU is very power efficient). Personally I love it, and the battery can easily last 2-4 days.
When it comes to smartphones, especially ones running Android, it's very hard for a phone to hold an "ultimate smartphone" title, as you would say. The rate that Android phones are being pumped out is crazy. In a week or a month, the phone you get will be overtaken by something that has better specs and function. Look at CES going on right now, phones with dual core processors and Tegra 2 graphics are being released soon. The Desire HD was only released a few months ago, and it's already outdated. Putting labels, such as 'ultimate', on phones isn't going to do much, because it's always going be overshadowed by something better. Frankly, if a phone works, it does it's job.[/endrant]

OP: I would recommend rooting your HTC Desire, and install a custom ROM (might I suggest CyanogenMod?) to get the most out of your device.
smile.gif

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Synchromatic said:
Originality said:

When it comes to smartphones, especially ones running Android, it's very hard for a phone to hold an "ultimate smartphone" title, as you would say. The rate that Android phones are being pumped out is crazy. In a week or a month, the phone you get will be overtaken by something that has better specs and function. Look at CES going on right now, phones with dual core processors and Tegra 2 graphics are being released soon. The Desire HD was only released a few months ago, and it's already outdated. Putting labels, such as 'ultimate', on phones isn't going to do much, because it's always going be overshadowed by something better. Frankly, if a phone works, it does it's job.[/endrant]

OP: I would recommend rooting your HTC Desire, and install a custom ROM (might I suggest CyanogenMod?) to get the most out of your device.
smile.gif
Yeah I was thinking of rooting it when I get it. But can I happily root it without worrying about a brick??

And yeah, these days phones keep on coming out and only those with alot of cash can keep up with the tech. I on the other hand will be happy enough with the HTC Desire, it's specs are more than I ever wanted on a phone. Since my gaming is mostly on PSP/DS/Wii, idc about the Tegra and all (On the latest phones). Though when I do have the money, I'll get a dual-core processor phone.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
True, development on smartphones is accellerating and making it a fun to keep track of.

CyanogenMod CAN semi-brick the phone. Just make sure the battery is fully charged before you install it, and you should be fine. It's pretty easy to do, after all.

@ProtoKun, the battery is only 1230 mAh. For comparison, the iPhone 4 uses a 1420 mAh battery. They have roughly the same battery life (depending on settings/usage).

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Originality said:
True, development on smartphones is accellerating and making it a fun to keep track of.

CyanogenMod CAN semi-brick the phone. Just make sure the battery is fully charged before you install it, and you should be fine. It's pretty easy to do, after all.

@ProtoKun, the battery is only 1230 mAh. For comparison, the iPhone 4 uses a 1420 mAh battery. They have roughly the same battery life (depending on settings/usage).
So if the battery is fully charged, it won't semi-brick?? And if an HTC does get bricked, how can we un-brick it? I mean is it possible to un-brick it from home or we need to head to a service center? I just like to take a safe path when it comes to rooting/hacking/soft-modding...that's why so many questions keep on popping up xD (Things I've hacked so far - 3 PSPs, 1 Wii, 1 iPhone 4 and 1 iTouch)

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Originality said:
I was just unsure about your wording. The way I read it, it seemed like you were suggesting that the efficiency of the processor causes lower battery life.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
@Sam, my point about having a fully charged battery is simply this - if the battery dies whilst flashing the ROM, it'll end up corrupted (or rather, half done) so you'll end up with a brick. This is pretty much the same with any device, and also why they recommend having at least 90% battery charge before running any official update. There IS a recovery console, in the event that you do semi-brick the phone, although I have no experience in dealing with a bricked smartphone so you'd have to find out the recovery steps yourself.

Bottom line, just make sure it's fully charged so it can install properly, and make sure the battery cover is on securely. Then nothing should go wrong and you'll be done in around 10 minutes (it took me 30 on my first attempt because my G1 didn't want to let me use telnet). It is rather easy (depending on the phone at least) and you probably can't make a real mistake without trying to (save the whole battery thing).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now