Piracy is too mainstream

Supah Eirian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SkH said:
Yeah... too mainstream... everybody uses flashcards. And about the Posting in the Official Nintendo forums... sigh... just look at that how dumb the topic poster is... I'm go mad when I see one like this: http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board/...;thread.id=1076

That's effin hillarious.

Yes I am a noob. Yes I own an R4. But at least I don't go to Nintendo.com to learn how to use it. That's like telling the police the PIN isn't working for the ATM card you just stole...

I don't know why everyone is so anti-noobs. I want to learn and am willing to put in some work, forgive me for asking a few questions, but we all started sometime, right?

DarkUli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ikenoi said:
SkH said:
Yeah... too mainstream... everybody uses flashcards. And about the Posting in the Official Nintendo forums... sigh... just look at that how dumb the topic poster is... I'm go mad when I see one like this: http://techforums.nintendo.com/nins/board/...;thread.id=1076

That's effin hillarious.

Yes I am a noob. Yes I own an R4. But at least I don't go to Nintendo.com to learn how to use it. That's like telling the police the PIN isn't working for the ATM card you just stole...

I don't know why everyone is so anti-noobs. I want to learn and am willing to put in some work, forgive me for asking a few questions, but we all started sometime, right?

Yes we did, newbie.
Noob's the term for idiots.

If you have questions, don't ask them, use the search function

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thaigrocer said:
I'm guessing nintendo is going to move to the playing field of online distribution with a variety of anti-piracy tools in their next handheld. I hope they support the homebrew scene while they're at it.
Eventually most consoles will move to digital distribution. It really is the best solution to all of the problems stated in this thread. It quiets the gripes of expenses, release timing, game amounts, and cartridge costs. We have seen the music industry move to digital distribution... Now it's time for video games to do the same.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Even with digital distribution, there will be localization issues ... look at Live Marketplace, the PlayStation Store, the Wii Shopping Channel & iTunes ... they could all carry all titles, in all regions, at once ... but they don't.

Some regions get exclusive content, some regions get content, but not until much, much later on ... and then there are the price discrepancies ... iTunes is cheaper in the US, for example ... as is the PlayStation Store

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda hope Nintendo's next handheld will have improved security so you would have to solder a modchip on it, I hope they do not use cartridges anymore... There would be too many pirates.

Hopefully I will learn how to solder then, the internet can only take me so far..

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's such a shame! I wish piracy was a "special club" where only the "cool kids" could pirate!

rolleyes.gif

Bruinbaard

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This stuff reminds me of the days that every single PS/PS2 was modded.
Everyone I knew who had a PS/PS2 modded it and started burning dvd's.
Also just small children and stuff whch heard it from their dad or uncle or something.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Nin10doFan said:
I kinda hope Nintendo's next handheld will have improved security so you would have to solder a modchip on it

Didn't stop the Wii. All of the Wiikey update whiners don't even know where it's attached to, they got it installed buy someone else.

misanthrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The sky is not falling, no matter what video game companies lead you to think, they are doing more money than ever before, all gaming platforms are increasing in their overall sales each year and the industry its growing more than ever. Even the PC, the most widely pirate gaming platform by far for literally decades its still growing and becoming a bigger business each year.

The "increase" in piracy its only there cause of the increase of overall popularity in the gaming industry and thats about it, you wont find any serious and fair market study that will tell you otherwise. If Nintendo and other gaming companies really want to encourage gaming purchases they can start by being fair on their releases and stop their chauvinistic policies of "Japan gets everything, Europe gets whatever garbage we decide 10 months later". Of course they would never face up to that fact and will try to blame it on piracy or the "differences" in the markets and what not.

Second they already have good models in place if they want to encourage sales while being accessible and less expensive: Episodic downloadable content its a reality for 2 of the 3 mayor consoles and even Nintendo could do it for the DS with an official flash memory card for the DS. In game advertising and downloadable episodes are fine and the security is often good enough that the rewards of trying to get around it are not worth it when you can just pay $5 and be done with it for example.

People always assume being cheap is the only reason to pirate games, but this is a mistake: people who pirate games have been proved time and time again to buy even more original games than people who never pirate anything. Its just convenience, I won't sit around waiting for Nintendo to localize the games I wanna play if some guys on the net can patch the rom and release it, its a simple as that sometimes.

santorix10

Trophies
Website
rememberthe8bit.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd have to agree, it's getting a bit out of hand. People just don't want to figure out stuff on their own. They just go on forums, and bump their way to an answer. I do feel responsible for getting some more clueless people into piracy, but at least they figured out what to do on their own. (Though if you were to ask them if they trimmed their ROMs, they would have no clue.) I'd have to estimate that in my Middle/High School there had to have been less than five people who actually had the hardware to pirate on a handheld, and less than twenty that could pirate on an actual console. But, in Senior year, I bought an M3 perfect SD, and thus, everybody bought R4s and it just got nuts. (Though, I was mad coolerer because I had a l33t Slot-2 card.
tongue.gif
) I popped around a few forums in the good ole 2k3, but I never got into the whole scene. I really wish I did, though.

WildToushi

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I am terribly sorry to necro this thread, but a friend of mine recently brought this post to my attention and how it mentioned me. At first, I was stunned that anyone on GBAtemp saw that old R4 vid I did, but after my initial reaction, I felt I owed you all a major apology.

I want to apologize for any potential flack or the like GBAtemp may have gotten for my bullshit way back then, and I also wish to apologize for putting a negative light on GBAtemp.

Hell, let's all have a laugh now... I have my entire DS collection on an M3, even after I bitched about the R4. I'm such a hypocrite, huh?

Once again, sorry to necro, but I felt an apology wouldn't be as fitting if I didn't post it in a thread that mentioned my bullshit. Sorry, guys.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do agree that the cost of games are too high in Japan and Europe not so much in North America.

The average cost of DS and PSP games have skyrocketed in Japan

2006-2008

PSP: 5040 yen
DS: 4890 yen

PSP: 5490-5890 yen
DS: 5490 yen (5890 for high end games from big franchises and Idolmaster went even further at 6220 yen)

PSP: 6490 yen (yes nearly $70 US for a PSP game and this is becoming more commonplace now)
DS: 5890 yen for most games and 6490 for games with heavy advertising and high end franchises such as Idolmaster.

In Europe depending on the country you'll be shelling $50-$70 for games

My suggestion on Japanese games is if there will be a digital download option wait for because there's a limit on how much they can cost (5000 yen). Also, get the Asia version if you want the UMD or it's UMD only since it's the Japanese version with different packaging and the cost is reduced by $10 US.

I can see why piracy is so bad in Japan, they keep jacking up the price every year or two, heck I remember PS1 games from Japan costing 3240 yen and with a bit of 2000's inflation games should be between 3990-4500 yen max. This price range would affordable for most Japanese.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Driving to my local gamestore isn't a problem (ten minutes away, luckily). Money is my problem. My mom works two jobs and supports six people the best she can. I have no games to play. The only reason why I was able to buy ST is because my little bro had a $20 gift card to Walmart, and she put $10 in. I put in $4. That's why I need a job. I can't just want it, lol. For me, and others like me, it's a necessity. There's no other way to buy games unless I get a job. Or we wait for our tax refund. But that's about it. It also doesn't help when I get my DSLite stolen along with six plus games (I can't remember, it was a couple years ago. Though, my DSLite was stolen last year).

Magoo222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uncle FEFL said:
Driving to my local gamestore isn't a problem (ten minutes away, luckily). Money is my problem. My mom works two jobs and supports six people the best she can. I have no games to play. The only reason why I was able to buy ST is because my little bro had a $20 gift card to Walmart, and she put $10 in. I put in $4. That's why I need a job. I can't just want it, lol. For me, and others like me, it's a necessity. There's no other way to buy games unless I get a job. Or we wait for our tax refund. But that's about it. It also doesn't help when I get my DSLite stolen along with six plus games (I can't remember, it was a couple years ago. Though, my DSLite was stolen last year).
I know where you're coming from, I wanted to buy a Veyron but couldn't afford so I stole one. Actually, I'm lying. (And before anyone considers it, we've all seen the *hilarious* picture showing that piracy is copyright infringement and not theft, so don't worry about dragging that one out again)

The biggest problem with piracy is how accepted is has become, it's the elephant in the room (or on the internet). Everyone complains about it, but how many people are willing to do something about it? How many people on this site would willingly stop pirating games for 6 months?

Throughout the whole thread people complain that the price of games has gotten too high, so they're forced to pirate. No you're not. If you can't afford games, you don't get games. It's that simple. Gaming isn't a right, it's a luxury.

If you're too young to get a job and can't afford games - No Games
If you have a family to support and can't afford games - No Games
If you're a student and can't afford games - No Games
If you live in a country shafted by the industry and can't afford games - No Games
If you're a chronic alcoholic and can't afford games - No Games

Are you starting to see a pattern here?

Or to put the argument a different way, why should single, hard-working males and females support the entire industry whilst the leeches try their hardest to bleed it dry?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nicky041192 said:
great post, i respect everyones views.

i was thinking, is lending out your favourite cds so they can listen to it and put it on their music player count as piracy? since they didnt buy it. they just borrowed it and put it on their music player.
its the same as lending out your favourite dvds.

I think the situation you described is copyright infringement. Still illegal but I wouldn't say it's unethical considering the music was purchased.

I can't really say if piracy is too mainstream from my personal experience. Most people I've spoken to about piracy don't arn't that informed about how to pirate. I mean they can pirate music but only by torrent sites; they don't know much about direct downloads. Whilst regarding video games, I've only met one person who knew about flashcarts whilst others were naive. However on the wider scope, piracy is more accessable I remember my english lit eacher who was in his mid 50s telling us how he got a documentary off limewire once. Also looks at the price of flashcarts for example, the old GBA carts would cost a good few dabloons now you can get a pretty good cart for less than $25.

I'll be honest I pirate becasue I can. Wheter it be films, music or games. I could try to legitamise it by saying I'm a poor student (which I am). I was fortunate to find out about how to pirate and have the means to pirate so I do it. Saying that I wouldn't say I'm serial pirate, I don't have 1TB of pirated goodies. But I also buy films, music and games. I spent £40 on a Joy Division box set and pre-ordered Star Ocean for the PS3 so I still contribute to the industry. Particulary if I know an artist or a company are independent, for example I downloaded music by an artist on an independent label. I enjoyed it, so I bought it. If I hadn't pirated it then the artist and record label would have never got my money. Admittidly not everyone share my ethos. But at least I'm honest, I'm no fucking angel.

However I do think the big companies need to be moreopen minded in thier futures. The CD is going to die and though legal MP3 downloads are doing well,; illegal downloads are still dominating. One solution is to give the music away for free on the net and have artists and thier companies make money via touring and merchandise. My favourite band, the Manic Street Preachers have made fuck all with their last three albums despite being a moderatly successful band. Instead they've made their money by touring here and there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRM_pe7IZeQ