Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Just got it done today:

wiikey-install.jpg

Quick solder + tiny bits of wire for the small points. I have no soldering tools or experience so I got a professional to install it. Everything went fine. In and out in 20 minutes.

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
459008853_3925995051.jpg

Second install. Wires were made a bit cleaner before it was put back.

They were too long, but I had to get them done before the guy came over, as I had to get him in and out without taking too much time. And that spot for the WiiKey really is perfect! I am definitely going to use it from now on!

So as you can see, I've kept up my tradition of shingling. I have found tinning and then cutting the wires down is best. I still had a bit that wasn't in the solder, so I figured better safe than sorry...

I'll be doing two more within the week its looking like, so I'll have to post them up here, hopefully they'll get cleaner and cleaner!

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's my install.... Not the best, not the worst.Â

I've done several PS2 installs so have some experience. Wiikey was much easier than any of the PS2 installs.

img2667dw9.jpg

Man you burned the shit out of those points. You need to use a lower wattage soldering iron and not hold it against the board.

I don't think you're supposed to leave burn marks!
lecture.gif

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about that... That must have been a hell of a lot of flux! I only use a tiny bit on the end of a toothpick right on the point.

Anyhow, here are some pics of my third WiiKey Install!

461687939_d9d6acc45c.jpg

461688005_bcdfe200ef.jpg

461687973_c468999a89.jpg

chewy!

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's a pic of the install I did today. My first ever solder job (besides a few days practice), and I was very nervous. It's not as pretty as some of the work on here, but I think it turned out okay. I wish I could have got a better shot to post, but macro on my camera sucks. Anyway, here it is mid install w/o power or ground.

16d4a320-1f13-4b8c-a4af-a912df7cd3ba.jpg

To EVERYONE who has posted anything about their experience modding the wii (I probably read it 3 or 4 times), THANK YOU.

gazza341

Trophies
XP
Country
huh, just looking for installs good or bad for legs cut d2b chipset and wiikey, but don't see many good and can't find any bad. any examples would be much appreciated.

cheers

gazza

ejacula

Trophies
XP
Country
My very first chip job today (D2B), so worried about screwing up, but CBF with the wire install... I was really impatient while trying the wire method and didnt see the point after failing once, So I put extra solder on every point and then bridged them together with the iron, too easy.
I just couldn't believe how small the chip was and I'm glad I had a spare chip board to play around with before I went all micro-surgery. Everything worked out fine in the end, so happy!

gazza341

Trophies
XP
Country
brilliant!

thanks for your prompt replies
smile.gif

ejacula - your experience sounds like the first time i chipped an xbox - it's a great feeling though when you finally get it working, makes all the worry worth while

superrob / testure - nice example of an early d2b chipset - thanks

Redsquirrel - bit like my first wiikey, but i had to have a nurse mop my brow whilst attempting it
laugh.gif

i've done a few d2b wii's with the legs in place now and it's no big deal. have we got any examples (good or bad) of d2b's with legs cut.

any replies would be much appreciated and thanks again for your replies

gazza

dnetbandit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello All,

I really need help here.. I have a wii with the D2B chipset but with the legs intact on the chip and also with the soldering point #3, intact.. so it would seem that I should not have had a problem installing the chip.. well after the chip was installed (The professional solderer, made sure none of the points touched one another, and we used thin wires, instead of the bridges) I noticed that none of the backups would play, but the issue also is that none of the originals would play either..

Is there something I am missing.. I mean, is there something I am supposed to do to activate the chip or something.. please help...

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello All,

I really need help here.. I have a wii with the D2B chipset but with the legs intact on the chip and also with the soldering point #3, intact.. so it would seem that I should not have had a problem installing the chip.. well after the chip was installed (The professional solderer, made sure none of the points touched one another, and we used thin wires, instead of the bridges) I noticed that none of the backups would play, but the issue also is that none of the originals would play either..Â

Is there something I am missing.. I mean, is there something I am supposed to do to activate the chip or something.. please help...

Sounds like a region problem? You could try running the recovery disc....

Download and burn this thing here. I seem to remember it HAS to be burned on DVD-R btw. Then insert it in your Wii, wait a while and it could fix your problem.

CODE | Burning the recovery disc image                 Â|
| ------------------------------- Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â|
| As media support in Recovery Mode is limited we recommend you  Â|
| use DVD-R only for the recovery disc. Burn it with Toast, Image Â|
| Burner, or cdrecord. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â |
| Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â|
| Performing the update                      Â|
| --------------------- Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â|
| - Switch on Wii and eject any disc in drive           Â|
| - Insert recovery disc and reset Wii               |
| - Wait for at least 3 minutes. There will *not* be any sign that |
| the wiikey is recovering, and the recovery disc will not appear Â|
| in Wii menu. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â |
| - Power off the Wii and switch it back on again. wiiKey should  |
| now have recovered its firmware, and EEPROM will be restored to Â|
| default settings. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â|

dnetbandit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads up, and you were correct it was a region problem.. But I handled it thus.... After countless hours trying to find out if the wiikey worked or not, I created the config 1.3 disc on a DVD+R and was amazed that it read it, considering that I didn't know that the wiikey was active. It read it and I turned on the region free option (First selection) and then all the games started working..

You know for people with the D2B chipset, without the 3 cut leg, there should be instructions, I am sure people get stuck because this is supposed to work right out of the box with nothing done.. incorrect, you have to use the config disc to practically turn on the function..

D.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBFP_T5XHU