Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
But this I did.
But is the firmware flash procedure basically just a copy and paste?
Isn't there a tool to "flash" the firmware?
It's that simple?
Copy paste 2.5/2.6 uf2 into drive it creates

If you used 2.5 Unplug (2.6 doesn't require unlock)
Hold boot button Re-plug and copy n paste unlock uf2 into drive it creates

Done - If toshiba nand use toshiba uf2
Its just like trinket since uf2

Last edited by Donnie-Burger,

meha

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
But this I did.
But is the firmware flash procedure basically just a copy and paste?
Isn't there a tool to "flash" the firmware?
It's that simple?
yes. if you hold boot button and connect pico to pc, pico is put into 'boosel' mode, where you can flash firmware if you drag and drop uf2 file

cicci084

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1) In the first post there are firmware+unlock all in one.
Just flash this file, is cunlock already included?

2) What are the differences between the various files? :

PiCoFly FW2.5+unlock.uf2

Picofly - fw_2.5_nw(NoWait).uf2
Post automatically merged:

Unplug

2.6 not found...

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
1) In the first post there are firmware+unlock all in one.
Just flash this file, is cunlock already included?

2) What are the differences between the various files? :

PiCoFly FW2.5+unlock.uf2

Picofly - fw_2.5_nw(NoWait).uf2

2.6 not found...

1) Yes, this is firmware and unlock in one
2) 2.5_no wait is just the firmware without the unlock, this by itself won't boot atmosphere and requires manual flashing of the unlock.uf2
2.5_toshiba is recommended for those with Toshiba Emmcs and also requires the manual unlock.

2.6 isn't released yet.

Reactions: cicci084

cicci084

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
2.6 what's new?
For the pico-zeros already installed (already soldered on the consoles) is it not possible to upgrade without reassembling everything (with the re-soldering of the buttons and connectors)?

1) Yes, this is firmware and unlock in one
2) 2.5_no wait is just the firmware without the unlock, this by itself won't boot atmosphere and requires manual flashing of the unlock.uf2
2.5_toshiba is recommended for those with Toshiba Emmcs and also requires the manual unlock.

2.6 isn't released yet.
More question

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can update from 2.6 without disassembly, but you can NOT update from 2.5 without using the USB connector on the chip.

cicci084

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay guys.
Once the rp2040-zero is installed with the firmware+unlock, where can I find an updated guide to prepare microsd and finish the modd?

infopcgood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Just found out PicoFly today, ordered all the parts I need (I think). Is this enough, or should I buy more? I have all the tools. (text is in korean but I think you can know what it is by image)

스크린샷 2023-04-05 205404.png

Reactions: impeeza

rehius

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any reason for this, out of curiosity? Opening the firmware to community contributions may be beneficial.
the original reason was to prevent china boards that could be used for piracy (closed source + encryption protected the "only linux" restriction). but the protection has been bypassed eventually.

FlitPix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends if the creator of the firmware want to share or not, we have to respect their decision if they don't want to share.
Absolutely, but I don't know if the firmware has the same copyrighted code issues as Hwfly (since, from my understanding, Hwfly is a clone of the TX modchip)? Assuming I'm even correct about that to begin with, of course - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hwfly is a reverse engineered SX core. As far as I know the chip itself is actually fine, no Nintendo code or so. But rather the issue with modchip in the US is the Dmca and in the EU the tpm circumvention

Reactions: FlitPix

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely, but I don't know if the firmware has the same copyrighted code issues as Hwfly (since, from my understanding, Hwfly is a clone of the TX modchip)? Assuming I'm even correct about that to begin with, of course - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here
The two are fundamentally different. None of the code for hwfly/sx modchips would be useful on a RP2040 based board. The concepts will be the same and some of the sequence but that's all.

There was never copyrighted code used for sx or hwfly. TX got in trouble because they were actively promoting piracy and making $$ off of it. In it's most basic form all the modchips are bypassing security measures in the Tegra X1 processor. This in and of itself is not illegal, it's what people do after they've gotten around the security that can be. Realistically I don't believe anyone has ever been in trouble for using pirated software, only distributing it/facilitating it.

Last edited by l7777,

Kupie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The two are fundamentally different. None of the code for hwfly/sx modchips would be useful on a RP2040 based board. The concepts will be the same and some of the sequence but that's all.

There was never copyrighted code used for sx or hwfly. TX got in trouble because they were actively promoting piracy and making $$ off of it. It it's most basic form all the modchips are bypassing security measures in the Tegra X1 processor. This in and of itself is not illegal, it's what people do after they've gotten around the security that can be. Realistically I don't believe anyone has ever been in trouble for using pirated software, only distributing it/facilitating it.
On top of that, they copywritten code in their CFW they distributed. The XCI mounting code relied on code they stole from Nintendo and that's where they could directly get in trouble with copyright, at least.

Since firmware 2.6 for Picofly will be updatable without the USB, is it good to wait a couple weeks maybe for it to be released? Once I get this thing in an OLED I don't want to re-open it up and resolder USB just to flash it

Reactions: FlitPix

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unplug

Just want to clear something up, Rehius has said that with 2.6, unlock.uf2 is no longer required as 2.6 is unlocked in the firmware already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY