Picked up a N3DS, what can i do?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by SgtLunatics, Feb 3, 2016.

1. SgtLunatics
    OP

SgtLunatics Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

So I managed to get my hands on a small New Nintendo 3DS with firmware 9.5.0-22E and i was wondering if it's possible to put cfw on it? If so, which one should i go for and is there an easy tutorial for it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

GBAtemp Patron
    MajinCubyan is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    You need to downgrade it to 9.2 first I believe. Here are a couple video tutorials for ya.

Also, Click here to get your hax entrypoint set up.

Downgrading
    For setting up CFW

If you have anymore questions, I'm always willing to help, so send me a PM if you need anything.

EDIT: For N3DS, I recommend reinand.

3. Chris610

Chris610 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2011
  4. SgtLunatics
    OP

SgtLunatics Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hmm it says to downgrade from 10.3, but i'm on 9.5, is it still ok to go ahead like this? I don't believe I have a way of upgrading to 10.3 either

5. Daidouji

Daidouji GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2016
    Mexico
    as everyone has told you first downgrade to 9.2 then install emuNAND and do as you please... I've used reiNAND on my N3DS and it works like a charm.

Here's the two guides I've used to downgrade and emuNAND 7 3DS (4 New and 3 Old)

Downgrading <-- skip the "update to 10.3" step and just downgrade
    CFW Install

MajinCubyan likes this.
  6. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

GBAtemp Patron
    MajinCubyan is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    You should be fine following that tutorial or the ones @Daidouji posted. I think it was more just to show that you can downgrade from 10.3 or lower.

7. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    This is a bit silly but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try since you just got it: I hear downgrading is more consistent if you do a clean system format.

Format (it'll want to connect to the internet, but it won't actually update) then set up menuhax as fast as you can before your internet browser gets blocked. Definitely read up a bit on downgrading before turning on the 3DS, and have the files ready on your SD card so you can act fast.

Last edited by CrispyYoshi, Feb 3, 2016
  8. SgtLunatics
    OP

SgtLunatics Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Ah ok i see, just 1 question. What is this md5 that keeps getting mentioned? Sorry I'm not used to all these terms.

9. Daidouji

Daidouji GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2016
    Mexico
    MD5 is just a hash key.... it's used to know the files you've downloaded aren't "corrupted by transfer errors" and such. It's just a way of being sure 100% that the files were correctly downloaded don't worry about it =)

10. treebeard

treebeard Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    Lost
    You need to check the md5 hashes of the files to verify that they are legit and not corrupted. I believe safesysupdater does this for you. Another thing, I've heard that upgrading to 10.3 via a firmware pack leads to more success. Not sure if that's true.

11. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    You need to upgrade to 10.3 with sysupdater then downgrade to 9.2.

12. Daidouji

Daidouji GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2016
    Mexico
    Well it depends of the console and your luck honestly.
    My own console was brought from 9.5 to 10.3 and then downgraded to 9.2 on the first try.
    Three new 3DS consoles friends bought came with 9.5 too and got downgraded from that firmware version on the first try without any hassle.
    BUT a forth console bought by another friend FROM the SAME STORE with the same hardware as the previous three failed to downgrade more than 20 times before it downgraded correctly so I guess it's just luck and patience there :P

Last edited by Daidouji, Feb 3, 2016
  13. treebeard

treebeard Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    Lost
    I also downgraded on the first try from 10.3, I wonder why some have issues with it.

14. SgtLunatics
    OP

SgtLunatics Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Ok so I've got menuhax install and can access the homebrew menu when starting my 3ds up but i can't find the sysupdater from the menu (and i know i copied the folder to the right place). Am i missing something?

15. Daidouji

Daidouji GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2016
    Mexico
    That folder needs to go into the "3DS" folder... if it's not there just switch off the console and re-check the microSD again xD it happens sometimes :P

16. SgtLunatics
    OP

SgtLunatics Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Ah you're right but now after copying it, my 3ds keeps saying it can't read the micro sd card :/

and now my computer wants to format the sd card too lol

Last edited by SgtLunatics, Feb 3, 2016
  17. treebeard

treebeard Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    Lost
    That's very odd, I'm not sure how you managed to corrupt the card. Were you sure you removed it from your computer properly? Not while something was being written to or read from it?

18. ddurdle

ddurdle GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Canada
    Take on the advice to upgrade first to 10.3 using sysupdater before downgrading to 9.2. As is clear from this thread, this has a better track history of success. Chose to skip the advice and you'll find yourself recovering to 10.5 and locking yourself from software-downgrade.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I also advise you to get on a one-one chat with someone on a messaging protocol that has done the downgrade and setup before. So they can walk you through and help you on your issues. Sounds like from your comments on not knowing how to check MD5 etc, that you're likely to misstep somewhere and have tragic results.

MajinCubyan likes this.
  19. pre10c

pre10c GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2016
    Belgium
    Is there any tutorials on how to manually update to 10.3 using sysupdater?

20. SgtLunatics
    OP

SgtLunatics Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I think it might have been my card reader. Anyway I've got homebrew back up again and now sysupdater and it just gets stuck at "#5 : Restoring Slabheap backup...", I assume i have to keep trying until i can downgrade? or is there something else?