Kaphis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Something that seems to be floating around the board is how the wiinja and the other chip (forgot name) can been easily ripped off and everyone can just download the code off the internet and program their own PIC chip.

A USB PIC Programmer is around 45-50 dollars USD (there are cheaper if you wanna get a serial port one) and a pic chip (not that expensive)....

Next part is the code...which you can get by following the following method

http://www.bunniestudios.com/wordpress/?page_id=40

LOL!! YES guys..PIC CHIPS HAVE PROTECTION on them.....its not easy to get to either..if u try to read it, it WILL fry the chip.

It will definitly take some reverse engineering and things like that......but it will never be as simple as downloading the code and programming it yourself ( and it will most likely come out more expensive then buying the chip in the first place, unless u have a PIC programmer already)

Here is what I say to the whole hex code thing... common people will never be programming their own chips....just accept that you are waiting for a cheaper solution from a retailer, but it will never be to "download a hex code and program your own chip"...especially when half of the guys claiming that they will download their own code can't even solder =="

There is only two legitamate (sp?) reason to not get it right now.

1) Will Nintendo be able to pull something with the firmware update? (maybe not? disc drive mod)
2) Its still not region free and I don't wanna have to buy another one when a region free one comes out

We will see...if they didn't use the noprotect flag on the PIC...then oh well ^^;;

Credit: xbox-scene.com

Pacote

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Another guide (doesnt tell exactly where to mask with tape but you can find that on the net)

http://www.rampantapathy.co.uk/12c508a.html

I have a serial programmer (U$9 bucks here in Brazil) and worked fine with 12C508A and 12F629 (only ones i tested)

A 12C508A is about U$1,5 so it will be quite cheaper to me to make my own chips...

And last time i read , PS3news already said that some DEV team is working in dumping the WIininja and releasing to the public

biggrin.gif

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
LOL!! YES guys..PIC CHIPS HAVE PROTECTION on them.....its not easy to get to either..if u try to read it, it WILL fry the chip.

They're called protection fuses ... and if you try to read the chip it won't *fry* it. And those fuses happen to be erasable via UV light, which means that you can use your choosen IC package eating acid, strip off the top of the package and reset those fuses with a careful bit of UV exposure. There are also a few tricks you can do with the VCC that'll make at least the older PICs spill their guts so to speak.

You also haven't taken into account that it's also possible that you could write a buffer overflow for the program inside the chip and make it read out it's own contents.

*sigh* The piracy scene isn't what it used to be.

ejp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
.... and it will most likely come out more expensive then buying the chip in the first place, unless u have a PIC programmer already)

Here is what I say to the whole hex code thing... common people will never be programming their own chips....

lol - but thats exactly what common people were doing on psx for years.

Don't forget jdm's extremely quick and easy pic programmer:

http://www.jdm.homepage.dk/newpic.htm

that costs next to nothing to build.

I'd agree that the dump of the chip is not an easy process, but I seem to remember one 'sceener' that had access to the necessary equipment as part of his day job - maybe he's still around ?

As already mentioned protected pics have been dumped both by decapping and also by unlooping in the past and I see no reason why this isn't likely to happen again - it's just a matter of time....

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can make a programmer for less than $10 worth of parts, you can buy a simple programmer for less than $30. the pic will cost less than $1. Once the code is released (and it will be - if not the actual wiinja/cyclone hex then someone will do their own).

so for $20 you can have a programmer and 10 chips ($40 if you want to buy rather than build the programmer). even at $40 spread between 10 chips that is $4 each for you and 9 friends to chip your wii's. 1/10th of the price of the commercial rip-off chips.

Kaphis

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The thing is..you four are the few people who even have an idea what I mentioned in my post. I am just tired of people who are saying "I will just wait for the code to release and then I will make my own chip and save some money"...when the next post is "guys, how do I solder"...

ejp: thanks! I didn't knwo that existed ^^~ my quote was for a USB PIC programmer (not everyone have a serial port anymore)

moshii: If you click my link, then you would know I am clearly aware of what needs to be done to get around that. I am just clarifying that its not as easy as "plug it into my computer and download the code LOL !!!" (not that I am saying u said that , there have been others)

PS: u guys notice that there are far fewer posts in this thread when its about the technical aspects of reading the PIC chip and programming it XD

Emu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not very advanced on the pic scene but I have a general idea of what you guys are talking about. I see Kaphis' point of view of how people who can't even solder want to make their own. What it comes down to is that it's entirely possible to save money by making your own if you're willing to look into it. If they can't solder they'll try and fail and probably fry their wii or waste money on parts. So atleast a topic like this has been started for those who wish to look into it and learn how to go about the process. eh?

ChowMein

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wouldn't it be better for the modchip scene for people to buy the modchip?

More customers => the quicker the modchip scene will develop.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thats like saying shouldn't we buy original games so we can eventually get better games...
... Yes ...

If (almost) everyone suddenly stopped buying original games, new games will not come. What's the point in making games if they don't make any profit. So yeah, people should buy original games, to see new games coming.

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Yeah, I doubt the Wiinja team will release many updates from now on. The competition is already too stiff and it's only a matter of time until something better comes along. It could turn into the M3/SC/EZ competition type but I doubt that with so many questions unanswered and the possibility of a softmod on the DVD drive. It'd be cool if you could use the Wiinja/etc to softmod the drive, I'm hoping that's what the WiiKey will do.

I am waiting for the hex to be released because a friend of mine said he has a programmer and several 12C508A's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill