Gaming Physical cartridge, or eStore?

scubamage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I am getting my first 3DS tomorrow, and with any new system, you have to get a bunch of games. That's like an international gamer law.

So far, I'll have Fire Emblem: Awakening, Kingdom Hearts 3D, and Zelda: LBW.

I was also considering picking up Pokemon X, and Project X Zone. But, I'm not sure if they're going to be at my local game store. So, I was considering the eShop instead. What is everyones thoughts on a physical cartridge, vs downloaded games?

I like having a physical cartridge, and at least they used to come with manuals, fun extras, and you get that "new game" smell when you open it up. Plus it's nice to hold something in your hand. The downside is if you lost the cartridge, you're farked.

Digital downloads are easy. You can get them anytime, anywhere. If for some reason you lose your game, you can redownload (if I'm correct anyways). But, the downside is you can't let a friend borrow it. If the eShop ever goes belly-up, you lose your game.

So, for those of you who don't have the luxury of a gateway compatible 3DS, what is everyone's opinion on physical versus eStore?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but yeah, if the eShop can be purchased at a slight discount, it might be better. I wouldn't recommend digital if you plan on selling later. :)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but yeah, if the eShop can be purchased at a slight discount, it might be better. I wouldn't recommend digital if you plan on selling later. :)
Yep. If buying digital, better be damn sure you love the game. Always try demo whenever possible. Or you'll regret it.

Reactions: Ryukouki

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital has it's one convenience of being more portable than a 3x 3x 0.2cm piece of plastic.

Unfortunately digital games aren't tied to your Club Nintendo account, or other Nintendo accounts, they're tied to your actual 3DS. This locks down alot of your freedoms. Seeing as the 3DS has a limit of 5 transfers over the period of the unit's entire life, this makes switching your games from system to system extremely limited. Not only do you limit to yourself to where and how you play your 3DS games, but you're also sacrificing other benefits of physical copies.

If you don't like a physical copy of a game, you can sell it, more often at 50-70% it's original retail price.
And the club Nintendo code that grants you points thats included with a physical copy is on a piece of paper, where you have the option to use it, or sell it. Club Nintendo codes can go for $4-$5, or $15-$20+ if Nintendo is having a promo.

Also more-often you'll find physical copies, new or used, cheaper than buying digital. Nintendo still sells their digital games as much as physical games, despite not having to buy/make the boxes, shipping, fees they gotta pay and other services too. This makes no sense, as Nintendo spends alot of money to make physical copies available, but the digital copies cost just as much. When Nintendo are selling digital, they can copy their game data and slap a serial number on it at little to no cost at assl, while they host the game on their servers. Not having to pay for the cart itself, which is basically a memory card, the plastic boxes, and papers, the shipping and retail fees, etc... selling digital is almost pure-profit for them as they skip alot of the costs that go into making a physical game, and yet despite all the savings, they still charge a digital copy at retail cost. usually $39.99.

Not that Nintendo making profit is a bad thing, its a great thing, but if they don't have to pay extra, then neither should you be forced to. They're not sacrificing anything at all selling digital content, but you're sacrificing your ownership rights by buying digital.

The one exception to buying digital I make is if there is a discount, any DLC bonuses, or if the game itself is only available as digital.

sethirion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little correction upon the manuals:
The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds does not have a booklet, but you have a digital copy of it.

Still I prefer physical copies for some collectible items and re-selling them. A digital copy can be for rare/hard games (Virtual Console) or out of stock retail games. I am thinking of getting Animal Crossing for digital just because I will be using daily and saves me the hassle to have to bring more carrying boxes for games; one embedded game plus another inside the Slot-1!

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually do the physical copy for the reasons mentioned above, unless I can get a good deal on the eshop version. For instance, I recently got codes for Wind Waker HD and Zelda Link Between Worlds for 15$ off the retail prices. That for me was worth given up the cartridge. Zelda games in particular also usually take a whole to go down in price.

Otherwise, its usually not practical. There's a lot of times where you can buy yhe game for $20 in the store and its $50 on theshop.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
physical copies. The prices doesn't differ enough in my eyes, to go digital only. I want something to put on a shelf. I want something I can look back at in the future, to touch, to hold in my hands, to insert into a console and play again. If your console breaks, if it gets stolen, if you give it away / sell it to someone... digital games are gone. Sure there MAY be some way to get it back.

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally download from the eshop, its more convienient for me

The downside is if you lose/break your 3ds, you're out of games.
But then again whats the point of having a few games without a 3ds. You could sell them, and get $10ish per game so whats the point

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I go eShop just because it's easier to get games and you don't need a carrying case. Also, I have never sold/given away a game and I don't plan to do so in the future.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Physical. Always physical. You can have my carts and discs when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 3DSes so I opt for the cartridges that way I can use them on either. That and if you finish a game and want to get rid of it later you can always sell it at a used game store and get something out of it.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me personally, the hassles of digital out weigh the conveniences of it.

I buy some stuff digital of course, just not retail releases.

Only retail releases I have bought are super luigi u and new leaf. New leaf I now regret, I would like to transfer it and leave the rest of my stuff but that's not possible b

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    AncientBoi
    "AncientBoi - the it :ohnoes:"
  • light27 @ light27:
    -light27 profile comments, 2023
  • light27 @ light27:
    when we were talking about psps
  • light27 @ light27:
    and i was really REALLY bad at coding
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Went to your page to remember. yea, I'm still here
  • light27 @ light27:
    if i had more energy (i just woke up) there would be about 50 more reallys
    +2
  • light27 @ light27:
    nice
  • light27 @ light27:
    say, do you happen to have a modded wii u or 3ds
    nope. Just me and my PSP 3001
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, I own a dsi and a ps3
    +2
    I think I own a shoe. It's here.... Somewhere
  • light27 @ light27:
    LOL
    +1
  • light27 @ light27:
    hmm yes
  • light27 @ light27:
    wait
  • light27 @ light27:
    what if shoes are games and the cartridges are your feet
    +1
    👞 Found it :hrth::toot::grog::D:grog::toot::hrth:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    it was in your ass wasn't it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also i don't have a wii u or a 3ds, but i do have a wii and a dsi, both modded
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    brb
    It was in yours actually :D:tpi::rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    pulled it out of my ass like a tapeworm
    (yes that's a song reference)
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or im still here
    +1