Sell off physical collection now?

WizardWell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I only hacked my Switch last month and I still have a large physical collection. I was thinking of keeping it, in the scenario that the Switch 2 or whatever still is cartridge based. Obviously there isn't any information on that so it's tough to make an appropriate decision.

I would wait it out and see but I'm concerned with the MIG Switch screwing up the physical resale market. I assume it's going to flood the used market with dumped games, devaluing all sales in the process. Or it might make mine more appealing since I can advertise them as not dumped cartridges?

What are your thoughts on this? Are the used games going to be their highest value right now? My collection consists of a lot of staples: BotW, SMO, FE:3H, Metroid Dread, etc.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Physical copy would be worth more money once physical copy go out of stock, if you sell it when they no longer produce physical copy of the game you can sell it for more money.

Reactions: Blythe93

WizardWell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Physical copy would be worth more money once physical copy go out of stock, if you sell it when they no longer produce physical copy of the game you can sell it for more money.
That's something that's also been on my mind, and I heard that some Switch games are going out of print. Unless they do a Greatest Hits release at a lower cost, then the games would keep their value...

But that's also considering that Switch titles won't experience a price drop across the board when Switch 2 releases. Lots of variables...

CoolKid575

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In 15 years when people actually care about collecting for the Switch, the official online servers will already be shut down and whether a cart was dumped won't matter.

That's something that's also been on my mind, and I heard that some Switch games are going out of print. Unless they do a Greatest Hits release at a lower cost, then the games would keep their value...

But that's also considering that Switch titles won't experience a price drop across the board when Switch 2 releases. Lots of variables...
I'd personally hang onto them; they probably will go down in price in the short term. But they'll bounce back once people who grew up with the Switch come back to the console and start wanting to re-buy their childhoods. Think about it like this, GameCube games were cheaper then retail price from ~2008 to 2020. But they've skyrocketed in price since. The same thing will probably happen to the Switch.

WizardWell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks all, I think I'll keep my collection for the next couple years. If Switch 2 has a cartridge slot that's backwards compatible, those games would still be nice to have.

I just don't trust Nintendo to not try to charge another $10 for a "improved performance" version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto