XP
Country
United States

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How would this work if it would become just a US law? Would they prohibit region locked stuff from being imported?

The Minecrafter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would this work if it would become just a US law? Would they prohibit region locked stuff from being imported?
I think that they word force companies in the US to remove the region check from the hardware/software.
If I understand correctly, if this passed, a company like Nintendo, for instance, would have to create and release a patch that makes the DSi/3DS/WiiU not check the particular region of the game or app.
At least, that's how I understand it.

ReBirFh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
US would be the last place to ban region locking, just stop and hear the screams of "that immigrant/china is stealing legit 'muricans jobs" (jobs they don't want for payments they wouldn't accept), a similar argument would be given to say that millions of dollars are being lost because basement-dweller-guy-level99-warrior isn't buying "North-American-Built-Seal-of-Qualit-Eagle-Guns-Explosion" games because all their money is going to another country and not supporting the economy of their country.

Reactions: megazig

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
US would be the last place to ban region locking, just stop and hear the screams of "that immigrant/china is stealing legit 'muricans jobs" (jobs they don't want for payments they wouldn't accept), a similar argument would be given to say that millions of dollars are being lost because basement-dweller-guy-level99-warrior isn't buying "North-American-Built-Seal-of-Qualit-Eagle-Guns-Explosion" games because all their money is going to another country and not supporting the economy of their country.

What the fuck are you talking about? People import merchandise from other countries all the time. We even have stores DEDICATED to imports. Also, certain systems here don't have region lock, making your statement completely invalid.

Illegal Immigrant job-taking ≠ Fucking video game imports holy shit.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if there will be able to get 100k people to sign it, specially when you have to make an account for that website.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol region locking gives companies more money.

I want a game from the Japan NTSC region. I now have to buy NTSC hardware as well as the game. Company makes lots more money off of me.

Petition to lock this thread

ReBirFh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What the fuck are you talking about? People import merchandise from other countries all the time. We even have stores DEDICATED to imports. Also, certain systems here don't have region lock, making your statement completely invalid.

Illegal Immigrant job-taking ≠ Fucking video game imports holy shit.

lol, read what I posted as: Publishers will give just some random excuse to keep things the way they want. My 20 years old TV is trinorm, hacked consoles can play PAL/NTSC/whatever so there is really no reason to lock other than keeping the money on your territory.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an international issue. Even if the US were to ok this, it wouldn't mean Japan or elsewhere would. Thus, devices that are region locked could ultimately not ship to America. I don't think this petition could solve the issue.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also if it did happen I would be buying all my consoles from the US as there would be the better version being region free and all.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, as "good" as an idea it sounds, in reality it's a terrible idea.

Why should the government get involved at all? You're the consumer, contact the company. Get your like-minded friends to do it. Show an interest in that region-locked game, and they'll release it if the money is right.

Aside from region locking, it could potentially give the power to ban ANY aspect of a game. Look at the way some other countries ban M-rated games. You really want the US doing that too? The same people who want to force the government to step in and ban region locking would be the people shitting themselves if the government decided that Call of Duty 3414243 is too violent for the US.

All it really is letting the government have more power than it already has.....and the government can't usually find it's own ass with two search warrants and a Republican in a gimp suit.

Reactions: Sterling

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, as "good" as an idea it sounds, in reality it's a terrible idea.
Aside from region locking, it could potentially give the power to ban ANY aspect of a game. Look at the way some other countries ban M-rated games. You really want the US doing that too? The same people who want to force the government to step in and ban region locking would be the people shitting themselves if the government decided that Call of Duty 3414243 is too violent for the US.

The banning/censoring of games is something that already happens in the US (Manhunt 2 comes immediately to mind for a game that was censored, or San Andreas after Hot Coffee was discovered). I don't see how if this became a US law or whatever, that would become a larger issue. Don't get me wrong though, I agree, I don't think this is a good idea in the big scheme of things, but I don't think it would have any impact on games in the US being banned or not.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The banning/censoring of games is something that already happens in the US (Manhunt 2 comes immediately to mind for a game that was censored, or San Andreas after Hot Coffee was discovered). I don't see how if this became a US law or whatever, that would become a larger issue. Don't get me wrong though, I agree, I don't think this is a good idea in the big scheme of things, but I don't think it would have any impact on games in the US being banned or not.

San Andreas' "Hot Coffee" was actually disabled by Rockstar before the game even came out, and only accessible via Gameshark codes on consoles, and patches on the PC version.

Manhunt 2 was censored due to Sony and Nintendo's policies, NOT the government, and done so again before the game was released by Rockstar's parent company.

Neither example you used was at the behest of the US government.

Look at the news lately, the focus on "violent video games" hat happens every time some jackhole shoots up a public school. Video games get to be a scapegoat from the media, and we all should know just how much the government likes to use the media for our protection.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun