TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey, maybe it is KINDA like making homebrew. Without the hacking! So, I am good with it.
That is essentially what it is: Controlled homebrew. Which is actually really cool, in my opinion. Shows Nintendo cares AT LEAST a little bit about homebrew. But I still wish it was 3DS ware instead of DSiWare... then we could take advantage of more power, which would be really cool.

JaronMatthewHigg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, maybe it is KINDA like making homebrew. Without the hacking! So, I am good with it.
That is essentially what it is: Controlled homebrew. Which is actually really cool, in my opinion. Shows Nintendo cares AT LEAST a little bit about homebrew. But I still wish it was 3DS ware instead of DSiWare... then we could take advantage of more power, which would be really cool.
Yeah, me too.

Reactions: 1 person

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
For all the limitations of Petit Compter (slow, bad language) it has a few advantages over conventional DS homebrew:

1. No legal ramifications whatsoever. Perfect for paranoid newbies or justifiably paranoid Japanese people.
2. Fun to tinker with since you can "code on the road".
3. Charming as hell with all it's little 80's PC sound effects and graphics.

So that's basically ( :ha: ) my mini-review of the app. Definitely worth $8. Too bad NA gamers don't seem to be taking to it though.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I don't think some realize is the fact that, from my understanding, it will be like warioware diy. You can make programs within this app, but your games/programs will run from within the app itself. You won't be making something that'll be launched from the homescreen. Basically, you're not coding on the ds, you're coding within an app and you're locked within that app. Hope that makes sense.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Do you actually have to type all the code on the DS though? That seems a little hardcore!

That was the original idea, until our Japanese friends figured out the structure of the files that got saved to the SD card, then they made PC tools to create/edit/convert to the proper formats. Essentially now, you can program on your PC, and test it on your DSi/3DS by scanning the QR code generated (included in the tools, don't have to go to the website).

Reactions: 2 people

Anacobra

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Do you actually have to type all the code on the DS though? That seems a little hardcore!
What Disco said above. In addition, it has code completion and a robust library to mitigate the stylus tapping somewhat.

Yeah, I've found typing the code on the DS not to be all that hard. Actually, my only complaint is when I have to use PRINT and then I have to hold down L or R and I accidentally hit backspace and erase the whole line.

That and I keep hitting m instead of the space bar once in a while.

~.~

Super Lurker
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, this software title is a godsend for people who would like to see homebrew! But I don't think Nintendo would publish anything that would be threatening to the security of the device, but at least there will be a little homebrew playground!

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
There is no way Nintendo would be stupid enough to let this be exploited.
Hopefully there is support for PC cause I don't want to be typing heaps of code using the 3DS touch screen (although it's the fastest virtual keyboard i've used)

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There is no way Nintendo would be stupid enough to let this be exploited.
Hopefully there is support for PC cause I don't want to be typing heaps of code using the 3DS touch screen (although it's the fastest virtual keyboard i've used)

Here: http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/utilities/download-petit-computer-utilities-ptcutilities-081-f30095.html

Use this to write your programs in PC and export for the Petit Computer via QRcodes.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
So uhh, is there any chance of an exploit using Petit Computer? Just curious, tired and can't read through seven pages that date back to 2011...

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

PerryDigital

Trophies
XP
Country
PMSL at that dude just declaring it's definitely possible to change Snes ROMS into QR codes.

Anyway, has anybody heard anything about it coming to the UK eShop? I'm getting a bit sad watching everyone else having fun with this!

Anacobra

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
PMSL at that dude just declaring it's definitely possible to change Snes ROMS into QR codes.

Anyway, has anybody heard anything about it coming to the UK eShop? I'm getting a bit sad watching everyone else having fun with this!

I haven't heard any news, but one of my friends is upset that it hasn't come out for Europe/UK yet. He's in Scotland I think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1