Petit Computer coming to eShop

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Xuphor, May 5, 2011.

May 5, 2011

Petit Computer coming to eShop by Xuphor at 6:32 AM (16,966 Views / 0 Likes) 112 replies

1. Xuphor
    OP

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Unlikely. It is a very simple programming DSi/3DSware that doesn't show much potential in the long run.

3. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    It's BASIC. That's a full computer language. It's not "Very simple programming"

4. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    And? It's all locked into that application. You could make it so that you could design things with C++ on it, and it wouldn't matter. Nintendo is pretty damn good with their encryption at this point.

After looking at it: maybe compared to HTML it is complicated, but a quick overview shows that it wouldn't take too much effort to at least get the basics down (seriously, no pun intended).

5. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    It's not all locked into that application. It clearly says you can share your creations with others, meaning SD card save most likely. Since it's BASIC programming langauge, there might be some way to edit the save on the SD card using a real BASIC editor on the computer. That obviously has huge potential, limitless BASIC a computer makes that the 3DS can run.

Anyway, I might be talking pure stupid, but I know about BASIC, I've used it before, and know it can easily be enough to hack the 3DS if given enough functionality.

6. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    Sharing games most likely just means that they can be uploaded and downloaded through a wi-fi database.

7. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    We don't know.
    If it's SD card transferable, do you think I'm still wrong in my thinking this could be a hackable way?

8. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    If somebody was really good with BASIC, all of the encryption involving saves and the SD card was broken, and took the time to code it, maybe. Not sure what the extents of the most simple BASIC code is though.

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I don't really see a potential for this over some sort of save game exploit.

Something in the DSiWare shop can be updated by Nintendo anyways, so they can patch it easily unlike a game cart. Game cart/disc exploits are more reliable.

10. ninditsu

Member ninditsu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    why can't this lead to a 3DS HBC? i am not so updated with wii hacks, only know about the zelda one,
    but can't this be similar to it for the 3DS?

11. Rydian

United States
    Short answer: It doesn't work like that.

Long answer: I CBA to type up a couple paragraphs about it because it's like 2 AM and I'm tired.

12. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    From the looks of it it's going to work as a virtual PC. Hence even the program itself will probably be quite limited in what it can access.

If the company and Nintendo are smart (and I think they are) this program will probably be just as secure as any other program. Besides, they'll be expecting it here- it's pretty obvious that a program designed to give you the ability to run code not sanctioned by Nintendo (WITH IN an emulator shell, might I remind you) would be looked at as a security risk at some point in development. To contrast, they weren't expecting Sudokuhax, were they?

13. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    'zactly.

This would be a great application for nintendo to release for homebrew creators. It could even halt the hacking for a little while.

14. sightlight

Member sightlight GBAtemp Fan

United States
    3DS mode or DSi mode? 3D models? 3D evironment?

15. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    Wow, this looks interesting. I highly doubt it would be possible to create a GBA or Gameboy Emulator because of the points that fearofshorts has stated.

However if a GBA Emulator was created using BASIC [I highly doubt it would happen] it would be nifty.

Better yet, hey NOTCH! Minecraft 3D plox!

16. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    They say they're working on a 3DSWare version.
    Doubt it'll see international release.

17. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    So I take it there's no way to use this to create a script that executes a file?

Or maybe one that installs a file? Executing one would be fairly difficult, as it would need to run it in the Petit Comp environment. Installing one is perhaps plausible if we have NAND access in there. Or a 3rd option, we could maybe export all the NAND data using a crafty script, somehow.

I'm not saying this is a permanent solution, or one the average person would use, but as a preliminary exploit to get hackers into the system before getting users hacked.

18. Slynk

Newcomer Slynk Member

United States
    I don't see any hacking potential with this. Most likely the games you create will be launched through another app, not stand alone. It'll just house some code in a file and read it sequentially in a protected memory section(aka, no access to the memory housing the loader or anything else).

Everything has potential to be exploited but I'm sure nintendo will put this through some sever testing due to its nature.

That being said, it's still really cool that nintendo is officially allowing homebrew to even a small extent on their hardware. It'll prevent, or at least stave off for awhile, piracy in the long run. Smart move ^^

19. Rydian

United States
    Yeah I wouldn't even think of this for hacking purposes, it's going to be protected and it's got drawbacks compared to a save game exploit.

20. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    No possibility for hack purposes...... well almost no possibility unless with a very small chance that a runtine error or the like can be make and the use of peek and poke, but the chances are pretty much none at all, especially using basic.

But I am a HUGE fan of programming in basic. I don't know C, C++, Java, HTML, or ASM, but I know and understand basic so well that I will have endless fun using it.