Permanent 3DS Save Files

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Jul 5, 2011.

Jul 5, 2011
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG]

The Internet is talking about Capcom's Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D. The game features a save file that can not be deleted. Some major stores are refusing to take trade-ins of the game while Capcom has issued a statement that they have learnt from their mistakes and will probably not feature this type of system in the future.

Capcom is not the only gaming company to use this permanent save file method, they just seem to have attracted the most attention. It has been reported that Super Monkey Ball 3D (SEGA), Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D (Konami), and BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 2 (Arc System Works) are all using a similar save file method. Perhaps it is time to let these developers know that consumers want the options of rentals, trade-ins, and resale. Most of all that consumers want full control over the deletion of their save files.

Let us know what you think about this issue.

[​IMG] Source

2. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    Personally I don't mind - I don't really buy used or rent.

And yes I know the whole concept of "it doesn't affect me ergo it's not an issue" doesn't hold weight, but hey, what can I do about that?

3. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I think it's a real disgrace they put this in the 3DS and I can't wait till the hackers figure out a way to delete those savegames. I sure hope future developers don't do shit like this with their games.

4. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I agree completely that it was a mistake. I hope that from now on developers don't include such stupid systems in their games.

5. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    I never buy pre owned games unless first hand isn't an option, like when they have no stock and don't plan on getting any etc.

But still, it's absolutely stupid that if you want to restart a game from the beginning, it's impossible.

6. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    3 games I'm not buying. It real stupid to have no reset save.

It like making less to no replay value.

7. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I don't mind personally.
    Glad I traded in Super Monkey Ball 3D when I had the chance though.

Also people are so mad.
    Let's not make empty threats saying you hope the 3DS is hacked.

8. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    I think the games this article named are crap. I know a lot of people may like them, especially resident evil, but I think it's crap Zelda Ocarina of Time is still the only reason to own a 3DS.

9. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    i'm thinking people could make a quick buck using that neoflash usb ds dumper that has recently added support for 3ds saves in order to blank savs on these cards and re-sell them for higher on ebay [​IMG]

10. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    The problem is that the games industry is starting to realise that used-games are a far bugger threat to them than piracy. If you think about it, a pirate is not willing to spend money on the games, therefore no profit is lost by pirating. However, people who ARE paying for games will happily buy a used game for a little less money.
    How would you feel if you were selling a game, 100,000 people bought it, but only 30,000 people bought it from you and the rest just bought other peoples copies from them. Out of 100,000 genuine sales you only got the money for 30,000 of them, you'd be pissed too.
    However, if you could ensure that people only wanted to buy your game new, then you would get the money from 100,000 sales. It makes perfect sense to me.
    If you want to support the gaming industry, then buy your games new it really is that simple.

11. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I hope any other games in the future will have resettable saves. [​IMG]

12. blaziken

Newcomer blaziken Advanced Member

Germany
    i am not the person who sales used games but maby buy.... but what i think sucks is that if you want to start from the beginning that you cant because you cant delete your save files....that already 1 good thing about flash card you can delete them

13. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Or lose ~30,000 more by messing up even the new buyers.

14. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    I didn't know that super monkey ball was affected, oh well, I don't plan selling it anyway (the game is soooo cheap).

As for the used game debate, I would love to support devs buy buying brand new every games, but I don't have the money for that, same goes for every product that can be sold used (cars, music cd for example), used market also permits many people to live, to access culture, without them, many people would be unemployed.

Money is always the problem, at first they fight against piracy, then against used sales and then? Do you think they will be happy if piracy/used sales are over? YOU ARE SO WRONG.

15. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The maths might be sound (more sales at the same price= more money) but the underlying logic is not- what possible right does the industry have to money made by people selling their old games which were sold as a token that enabled you to play a game. Should they have been sold as a long term rental sure but as a straight sale but now you have to convince people that their new game has no residual value when all is said and done (a couple of weeks food bill not being a good start).

Re wiping the save- back in the RE thread about this there was a video where someone loaded a corrupt save back onto the RE cart and it triggered a nice little "save corrupted- do you wish to make a new one" GUI which seems especially odd (a new button/button combo in the menu is perhaps an extra 10 lines of code if you already have the save erase code there).

16. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    This is up there right with Region-Locking.

17. Nylx

Newcomer Nylx Member

Portugal
    But, its not possible to start a new game and overwrite the previous save ?

18. Fun_Zephyr

Member Fun_Zephyr GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    This I completely agree with. If you can't delete you save how are you suppose to play your game again from the very beginning... Or if you miss a missable item how can you ever start again to go back and get it etc etc...

This method of save effects not only the resale BUT also a consumer who purchased it and wants to play again. Completely ridiculous in my opinion.

Such games I will NEVER buy - thus they are losing money on the sale all the same.

19. Rockym

Member Rockym GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The thing is, a lot of newly released games end up having used copies for sale as early as a day after they launched. I see it all the time. That's what the industry is upset about. I've always felt that they need to impose a window of about 1-2 months after a game or system is released before they can be sold used. It would also help to stop those ebay scums that buy up everything at launch.

20. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    I could've sworn I deleted my monkeyballs save before trading it in...