Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I think we found the problem :P But as I said, removing the dirt didn't help that much, but do you guys think that applying thermal paste will help alot? :) I know thats its very, very important ( Im not stupid ;) ) or do you guys think that its the CPU fan? :) I couldn't find anything wrong with it when I was cleaning it and its also on 100% Fan Speed in the BIOS settings :)
1) If there isn't thermal paste, put it on.
2) If thermal paste is dry/crusty/a giant mess (too much), take it off. 99% rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol and coffee filters are what I recommend, but I've heard that standard rubbing alcohol pads (much less pure) work just as well.
3) Reapply it, using about as much as a grain of rice. The CPU heatsink will smush it where it needs to be.

You need it on there, but as little of it as possible!

Ofc, if thermal paste isn't the issue, it could just be the crap stock fan. The Corsair H70 is on a HUGE sale at TigerDirect, and I must say that I'm very happy with the inferior H60 (can't argue with getting it for $40!) As an added bonus, it's easier to install than nearly every air cooler out there!

EDIT: ShadowSora13, I don't know if PCSX2 does that, but Dolphin is smarter than that. In any case, you can manually set thread affinity with the Task Manager, and I've heard a batch file works too.

Coconuts 500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thermal paste isn't as necessary as some may think. It doesn't do much, and it is a terrible heat conductor. It certainly doesn't matter what "brand" or "type" you use. Just go with the cheapest you can find. Even mayonnaise will work (and I am serious here - but I do not recommend it)!

The thing is, though, that it's a better conductor than air - and there will always be air between a heatsink and a CPU base, as the surfaces aren't 100% flat.

It's a good thing to have, but not vital. Not having thermal paste won't be the end of the world as long as you have a properly installed and working CPU cooler.

In your case, there's something more wrong. Either the fan isn't working right, or the heatsink simply isn't installed properly - which is the likeliest problem here. Almost always when having problems like these, the heatsink has not been attached properly.

I noticed you're living in Norway, so I looked up a very, very good cooler for you, just in case. It's cheap, it's silent (it is literally the quiestest CPU cooler available - and inaudible during idle use), and its cooling performance is very high.

http://cdon.no/elektronikk/scythe_grand_kama_cross_rev_b-21349221

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thermal paste isn't as necessary as some may think. It doesn't do much, and it is a terrible heat conductor. It certainly doesn't matter what "brand" or "type" you use. Just go with the cheapest you can find. Even mayonnaise will work (and I am serious here - but I do not recommend it)!

The thing is, though, that it's a better conductor than air - and there will always be air between a heatsink and a CPU base, as the surfaces aren't 100% flat.
But Arctic Silver uses silver, which is the most conductive metal (electrical and thermal) :/ That might apply to other brands and types, but I don't see your logic.
Also, there's ways of minimizing the air space in between the CPU and heatsink (tinting the CPU fills the microscopic gaps and results in a flatter surface).

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

It's a good thing to have, but not vital. Not having thermal paste won't be the end of the world as long as you have a properly installed and working CPU cooler.

In your case, there's something more wrong. Either the fan isn't working right, or the heatsink simply isn't installed properly - which is the likeliest problem here. Almost always when having problems like these, the heatsink has not been attached properly.

I noticed you're living in Norway, so I looked up a very, very good cooler for you, just in case. It's cheap, it's silent (it is literally the quiestest CPU cooler available - and inaudible during idle use), and its cooling performance is very high.

lol you put mayonnaise it'll wil fry, that means the heat transfer won't be as smooth as it should, and it¡ll end up frying up the processor (and having a cold heatsink, which is terrible if the heat is getting gathered on the CPU platter..)

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I few years ago Tom's Hardware did a huge thermal paste roundup, and it turned out that toothpaste was the best in the group, even considering metallic pastes!

But yeah, it's mostly likely an issue with the cooler itself.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

The purpose of thermal paste is to fill the microscopic gaps between heatsink and CPU. Sure mayonnaise and toothpaste can conduct heat, but no one recommends them because,

* Poor heat conductor than proper TIM
* Drys up faster than proper TIM
* They corrode heatsink and CPU surface unlike TIM

Thermal paste is indeed necessary, and does make a huge difference compared to no TIM.

One common mistake people make with thermal paste is using too much. In this instance thermal paste becomes insulator. A size of grain of rice is all you need.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Or, if your thermal paste has an applicator (like my Zalman TIM, which has a brush), then spread it until it had the consistency of nail polish. That creates the ideal quantity of thermal paste between the two surfaces.

Also, it's probably worth reminding that if you do have to take off the heatsink for any reason, the thermal paste will be ruined so you will have to clean it off and apply new thermal paste in order to restore proper heat transfer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up