Gaming PC has gone from middle aged to Pensioner in 5 seconds

Acetic Orcein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello!
Ok let's see...

Suddenly my computer has suffered severe slowdown. I'm definitely sure it's not a virus, as I scanned with malwarebytes, and also avg and no such malicious material. (also i've not been on dodgy sites)

Anyway, I notice severe lag when running my firefox browser. Opening a tabbed window with a youtube video loaded, and trying to use yahoo/msn.

Even with only one window open (let's assume two tabs), and msn messenger open, the computer spazzes out and freezes. I notice this happens more with a youtube video running.

Anyway I've never had such severe slowdown before... and I guess the only change I can think of is upgrading to the new firefox version. It gets to a point where the computer is unable to terminate processes, so I have to restart.

Anyone have any suggestions to help my pc become less of a resource hog perhaps?

caster62003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't think this will help, but I just recently restored my Moms computer, after she was complaining about similar symptoms. I also installed the latest Firefox as well, and she still says it is still slowing down severly. When she is using IE8, I guess it works just fine, no complaints from her.

I'm starting to think the Firefox team has done something to make it more of a resource hog, or something to that effect.

How does running IE work for you? Try installing IE8, how that work?

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree, is it only firefox 'lagging', and when you speak of a freeze, does your complete operating system freeze?

If everything freezes, have a look at your cooling. Maybe dust clogs up the ventilation. That can happen anytime and could create such symptoms.

Oh and if it's only Firefox (also @caster62003), it might be an addon. That happens often and some addon programmers are careless. No issues with any 'clean' firefox, though.

Acetic Orcein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello!
Thanks for the replies

To caster: Yeah. I was sort of a firefox convert after using IE for aaaaaaages. I'd rather not 'downgrade' back to it lol!
But yes, I suppose trying a different browser might help! So I'll give it a go.

To Strider: the whole computer freezes, cpu usage goes up to 100% and nothing loads/works, though I now have process killer to shut down firefox if it goes on a resource binge.

I have also hoovered out my computer a few days ago (very dusty indeed), so I dont think that is the problem atm.
I'll try getting rid of any useless firefox add ons and give that a go too.

Thank you for your assistance.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try opera I'm on beta 10 right now, it ran faster than Firefox at first but slowed down but still smoothly but it's a beta can't expect much so you might wanna try opera 9 latest stable. EDIT: Post below me is right Opera 10 beta used to lag all the time with HD youtube videos now it lagged once on a 6 minute video.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why bother with Opera 9 , Opera 10 has been released y'day
smile.gif

http://www.opera.com

It is a good deal faster then Opera 9

Under 10 mb download.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You can load firefox in safe mode to see if any addons or plugins are causing the problem. Check the start menu for the shortcut.

omgmog

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
omgmog.net
XP
Country
There are a number of things that could be causing slowdown, one of them is a generally untidy system.

So first of all you're going to want to remove all temporary files/caches/empty recycle bin/etc. You can do this with CCleaner:

- http://www.ccleaner.com/download

It'll let remove all temporary files/caches/etc, and repair registry errors.

As you said your slowdown happens in Firefox mostly, it could mean that your Firefox profile is full of junk too, Firefox gives you a way to clean this up:

- In firefox you can go to Tools > Clear Recent History (ctrl+shift+delete) and clear everything.

If you've had your Windows install for a long time, and you've haven't defragged the HDD for a while, run the disk defragmenter:

- Start menu > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

run this on your C:, it might take a while if you have never defragged before, but it should provide a noticable improvement.

If you have less than 5% of your total HDD space free, this will also make the system run slower, so generally have a clean up of old files manually too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @K3Nv2 I'm still not really convinced that sylverrez is a girl lol