PC Engine Mini Announced

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cheap, plasticky tat thats a good few notches below the rest in all respects.
I have to push back a little on this comment since you've based it purely on reviews. It's a fine product with a premium feel, and I'd rate the interface highest of them all so far. Other than a few letdowns it's more than most PCE fans could've wished for.

You have to remember the main audience for these things are not modders who want yet another Retroarch box. None of the minis will ever beat the PSC for that (which was ironically pretty useless as an actual mini Playstation).

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Hey man, you don't have to justify your purchase to me. If you like it, you like it, enjoy it. To me its worth £39 and I'm firm with my value and seemingly have better impulse control as you went from:

I'll only bite if it ever comes down to the £50 mark.

To:

M2 is not what it used to be and can't really compete with RetroArch. Also it's definitely overpriced as it's basically a Megadrive mini in a different shell. I wouldn't recommend it over a PSC to anyone who isn't a die hard fan.

After all you know yourself that if you honestly compare the console and controllers it terms of feel, quality and general heft they are nowhere near the SNES Mini (which is the high water mark) and aside from the GUI the rest of the emulation is lacking based on points previously raised.

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet but the cheap plasticky feel came from someone on another forum who was quite disappointed in what they dared charge £100 for as he said it felt underwhelming in comparison to the SNES which over delivered (as a standard, non modded device). Ultimately there is no disagreement here, we both think its overpriced with under par emulation - the only difference is you feel you've got to justify your spend when I'm saying you don't have to.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@replicashooter Nah, I never need to justify my spending to anyone (sometimes not even myself). Btw, I'm well aware of the tactic to accuse someone who likes something of trying to justify their purchase, it's such a lazy way to argue. In fact, I'm glad you quoted those comments I made early on as they make my point perfectly. I didn't actually have any personal experience at the time and was going off what I'd seen and read, which is exactly what you're doing.

Btw, I am a die hard PC Engine fan (NEC not Konami), I have several original consoles including a SuperGrafx with a SSD3 (which as you know is a £500+ combination in itself). If anyone didn't need a mini PCE it's me, therefore I'm probably more likely to give a fair opinion on it than most others. I bet some of these people weren't even alive when the original came out otherwise they would know how cheap and tacky the real controller was :rofl:

The console itself is solid though. Plus the UI is objectively better than the Nintendo efforts I can't see how anyone can argue with that if they've used both. Yes, the NES and SNES minis have better emulation overall, I've never refuted that. I also never said I think the PCE mini is worth £99 either, I just said they delivered a product fans would be happy with. Plus the hack is almost ready so the glaring omissions can be rectified too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi