Pc does not start - help narrow down the problem

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Clanver, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Clanver
    OP

Clanver Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Germany
    Hi guys,

so im hoping some of you guys could help me narrow down this particular problem of mine. Im not sure what part to replace in my pc.

So if i try to start up my pc by pushing the on button . . its is not starting up . . well not on the first try. If i wait some 10 minutes sometimes it will work and the pc will startup and run just fine. Ive noticed that if i switched off my power supply completely on the backside and then turn it on again, it will turn on on the next try . .most of the times that is. . .

Well as of right now, my pc is still refusing to turn on after 1hour of trying . . so i kinda think its gone to the pc parts heaven. .

What do you think? Power Supply, Mainboard? Switches?

2. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Try shorting the power pins on the PSU to start it. If the PSU works then it would be the switches or the MOBO, have any electronic parts handy (Like LEDs, resistors, etc)?

3. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Sounds like a loss of the PWR_OK signal, a sign of a failing PSU. Test the PSU first as gudenaurock said. I forget which pins need to be shorted (15 and 17 was it?).

4. Clanver
    OP

Clanver Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Germany
    I did. It did not turn on. I have a smart switch on my mainboard as well. Today my psu turned on after 1 hour of switching it on and off xD . .
    i guess its time to get a new one ~

5. Clanver
    OP

Clanver Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Germany
    Today i bought a new PSU unit, exchanged it and suprise, suprise, it works!

Case closed ;)

So for anyone having probems with the pc not turning on on the spot, its likely that it will be the fault of the PSU unit.

Celice likes this.
  6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    depends on the problem... you can't assume it will work if the cause of the problem was the motherboard for example... but the Power Suply Unit is the first thing anyone should try exchanging since its more cheap than a motherboard... (assuming the pc doesnt do anything like a beep)