PayPal Question -- Anyone Know?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking about putting my $41 card up on paypal to help pay for my February game purchases for the switch. unfortunately, preordering on the eshop means only using paypal for some reason, so I have over $150 on the card that I get $41 on each month. I already have my other debit card on there, which is currently selected as the main one (no bank account). I was going to put this new card up on my account as the primary card, so that it takes money out of that first, but if there's insufficient funds eventually in it, what happens? will it try taking money out of the other debit card? thanks.

edit: I tried looking on paypal's website, but I wasn't even sure what to look for. there doesn't seem to be an answer for this particular question.

Deleted member 397813

Global Dingus
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm thinking about putting my $41 card up on paypal to help pay for my February game purchases for the switch. unfortunately, preordering on the eshop means only using paypal for some reason, so I have over $150 on the card that I get $41 on each month. I already have my other debit card on there, which is currently selected as the main one (no bank account). I was going to put this new card up on my account as the primary card, so that it takes money out of that first, but if there's insufficient funds eventually in it, what happens? will it try taking money out of the other debit card? thanks.

edit: I tried looking on paypal's website, but I wasn't even sure what to look for. there doesn't seem to be an answer for this particular question.
maybe im reading this incorrectly, but if you don't have enough money on your payapl balance, they will use the money on the main payment card that you set.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What is that 41 Dollars? Giftcard?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it might be related to my ssi or maybe even some extra help from my home state. they give me $41 on the 28th of every month, and it's cumulative. right now, I have $151. I just added it to paypal, but once the money for that runs out, which it will in February, do they keep trying to process that card if it's preferred or will they try charging the other card? I had this issue before when I no longer used a bank account, and they kept charging the bank account resulting in insufficient funds charges.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it might be related to my ssi or maybe even some extra help from my home state. they give me $41 on the 28th of every month, and it's cumulative. right now, I have $151. I just added it to paypal, but once the money for that runs out, which it will in February, do they keep trying to process that card if it's preferred or will they try charging the other card? I had this issue before when I no longer used a bank account, and they kept charging the bank account resulting in insufficient funds charges.

If you have paypal balance it will use the balance first, then it will use your preferred payment as what it charge the balance to, what you have to do is change the preferred payment method under your paypal wallet, link it to a bank account or credit card. If your preferred payment method doesn't work it would attempt to use one of your backup payment methods.

Last edited by Hayato213,
Reactions: godreborn

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

So If I've understood correctly, you've got $141 on your paypal balance which is set to run out. If your payment method for the Switch games is paypal and you don't have a paypal balance, it will charge your debit card via paypal.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I changed the preferred card method to the $41 card. I'm hoping this works, because last time, paypal just kept trying to charge the bank instead of the backup card. the bank was set as preferred, which I didn't think would matter if it noticed insufficient money in there. btw, is it possible to use the remaining balance of card 1 with card 2 in case that happens with a game? or must all funds come from one source?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I changed the preferred card method to the $41 card. I'm hoping this works, because last time, paypal just kept trying to charge the bank instead of the backup card. the bank was set as preferred, which I didn't think would matter if it noticed insufficient money in there. btw, is it possible to use the remaining balance of card 1 with card 2 in case that happens with a game? or must all funds come from one source?

I think you should change the preferred payment to something that has enough money, I assume if there isn't enough balance I assume your order would fail. Not sure if the eshop would attempt to use the backup payment method from paypal. You could use a second paypal account to pay yourself with that 41 dollars card but you will lose out on few dollars due to fees.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you should change the preferred payment to something that has enough money, I assume if there isn't enough balance I assume your order would fail. Not sure if the eshop would attempt to use the backup payment method from paypal. You could use a second paypal account to pay yourself with that 41 dollars card but you will lose out on few dollars due to fees.

I thought about paying myself, but unfortunately, it says you can't with cards. a second account would work, but it wouldn't be worth it. I've thought about changing from the preferred account after buying two games, but that does sound like a major flaw in the way paypal works. I mean why even upload a second card if it's not going to be used?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought about paying myself, but unfortunately, it says you can't with cards. a second account would work, but it wouldn't be worth it. I've thought about changing from the preferred account after buying two games, but that does sound like a major flaw in the way paypal works. I mean why even upload a second card if it's not going to be used?

Using a second account method is for like if you want to combine multiple 41 dollars gift card balances into one amount or transfer that money instead into your bank so it is not a gift card balance. If you link one card of 41 dollars you wouldn't be able to order anything over that balance though on the eshop.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
right now, the card has $151 on it. I don't think it would be considered a gift card, because the balance fluctuates or increases on a regular basis. what I mean is that if they don't try charging the second card, why even have the option to have a second card or bank linked? it obviously didn't work with the original bank itself and a card.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
right now, the card has $151 on it. I don't think it would be considered a gift card, because the balance fluctuates or increases on a regular basis. what I mean is that if they don't try charging the second card, why even have the option to have a second card or bank linked? it obviously didn't work with the original bank itself and a card.

It will charge to the payment method that is set to the preferred payment method, so set the $151 dollars card to as your preferred payment method, you should be able to buy 2 games retail at 59.99 no problem.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you are worrying about it where it charge for pre order change the payment method for automatic renewal and pre order to like a credit card.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I need to change back to the original card as preferred after that? I know of 3d world and bravely default 2 for next month, but I think there's a third game I have preordered. plus, if possible, I'd like to get that red and blue switch, but I haven't seen them on sale anywhere.

the only way to change from paypal to a specific card is to wait until 7 days before release when preorder becomes preload. I don't know why you can only preorder with paypal on the eshop.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I need to change back to the original card as preferred after that? I know of 3d world and bravely default 2 for next month, but I think there's a third game I have preordered. plus, if possible, I'd like to get that red and blue switch, but I haven't seen them on sale anywhere.

the only way to change from paypal to a specific card is to wait until 7 days before release when preorder becomes preload. I don't know why you can only preorder with paypal on the eshop.

Well if they haven't charged you, you can cancel and change the payment method for preorder and then re-order, they will charge 7 days before the game release. So for Mario you have to do it soon if you want to change where pre order balance get charged to.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm going to just leave it as is for two games, then let my mother have the rest $30 or so for groceries. I'm trying to lighten the expense in case I have to buy the red and blue switch for a scalping price. I saw one in Europe where someone was trying to get $700 for it. I'm not paying that much. $500 is about as much as I would pay. it's about $400 with the game and tex and everything. much more than that and it's a rip off.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Hayato213 , I just remembered that my parents gave me $50 for Christmas, so I should be good for all three games with the third being Strikers. I think that's all I have setup for February. :D

Reactions: Hayato213

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-