Hacking Patching IOS for SDHC or USB2?

drmarvin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does it look like it would be possible to patch the IOS that a game runs on so that the game would then support these new features? I guess USB2 isn't really the issue at this point since I have yet to hear of a game that uses USB for anything other than peripherals, which wouldn't really benefit from USB2 (unless maybe the mic on GHWT or RB2 would have less lag). The bigger issue would be patching whatever IOS that GHWT and RB2 use to be able to use SDHC so you can fit more downloaded songs on a card. I don't know if this is how things work. Does a game use a console IOS to start up and then run everything from its own IOS? Or is there still a low-level one running that we could have patched? Or is it something that can be patched on the fly or something.

Thanks for any input

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As far as i know you can´t use any cIOS after you start the game disc.
So you would need to "hack" the game itself to use SDHC or whatever.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
nIxx said:
As far as i know you can´t use any cIOS after you start the game disc.
So you would need to "hack" the game itself to use SDHC or whatever.
That depends on what you call a cIOS. If you patch an IOS on that place (like what CIOSCORP does) you could change something that the game uses. If it's really possible to patch in SDHC support... I don't know. I guess it's possible, but I'm not sure. Even if it is possible, I think we have to wait for Nintendo to do it.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But then the game still does not know how to use this patched IOS except you would use a standart function to save (not sure if there is one but seems logical) but this have again influence to other games or at least every game that uses the same patched IOS to save.
Plugins that run while the game runs would be nice but after what marcan said on hackmii the Wii can´t do this.

drmarvin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it's something that needs to be patched in-game, then it wouldn't be backwards-compatible which wouldn't really be useful for Nintendo. If it's something that can be patched on the console and work with existing things, then it would make sense. I don't see Nintendo doing an update that would require people to change with SD card they are using depending on the game. That's why I was hoping there was a way to patch the underlying IOS or something to the game wouldn't know better, it would just have lots of space to play with.

Rymel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didn't sven's essay on how he added sdhc without hacking the ios say something about it being essentially the same, only a few calls were different? and that those calls were only different in the order they had to be called? how would this be reliant on how a game would do it if it's just a reordering of calls in a module it'd normally access? sounds like a firmware roadblock to me, but i could be wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol