Patcher is at it again

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's like telling me to watch a video of what Fred Phelps has to say before commenting. Pachter is a troll and has no credibility, so I have no plans to listen to the crap that spews out of his mouth. As the saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day, but I certainly won't refer to that clock to tell me what time it is.

In that case you're going to be wrong twice a day and it's your own choice too. Ignorance truly is bliss, but as I said earlier, if you feel like criticizing an opinion, first you have to know what that opinion is. If you're planning on sitting down with your fingers up your ears singing "La la la! Can't hear you!" then you're acting like a 5-year old. It would take you less than two minutes to check out what he had to say before dismissing it, but no - let's just assume that he said something stupid because he's Patcher since sitting on the Patcher hate train is so much more popular.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case you're going to be wrong twice a day and it's your own choice too. Ignorance truly is bliss, but as I said earlier, if you feel like criticizing an opinion, first you have to know what that opinion is. If you're planning on sitting down with your fingers up your ears singing "La la la! Can't hear you!" then you're acting like a 5-year old. It would take you less than two minutes to check out what he had to say before dismissing it, but no - let's just assume that he said something stupid because he's Patcher since sitting on the Patcher hate train is so much more popular.

I'm not going to fill that wind-bag's ego by listening to his crap. He gets money by getting views and attention, and I refuse to contribute to that.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to fill that wind-bag's ego by listening to his crap. He gets money by getting views and attention, and I refuse to contribute to that.

Then all we need to do is, if what he says bother us, we don't have to read it. Yes, it's good to have an opinion, but we're not obligated to agree with it.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Then all we need to do is, if what he says bother us, we don't have to read it. Yes, it's good to have an opinion, but we're not obligated to agree with it.
Exactly. You can agree or disagree with what a person says, but you have to know what that person says before you're in the position to comment. If you're going to comment on what was said on the basis of who said it then you're just going to look silly.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. You can agree or disagree with what a person says, but you have to know what that person says before you're in the position to comment. If you're going to comment on what was said on the basis of who said it then you're just going to look silly.

I'd sure hate to look silly in your eyes.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That's like telling me to watch a video of what Fred Phelps has to say before commenting. Pachter is a troll and has no credibility, so I have no plans to listen to the crap that spews out of his mouth. As the saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day, but I certainly won't refer to that clock to tell me what time it is.
You must be trolling. There's no way that you honestly believe this BS... Either that or you're just brutally honest about your self-inflicted stupidity or willful ignorance and don't give a fuck...

Reactions: gamefan5

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pachter is a troll and has no credibility

He seems to have provided reasons (drawn from analysis and logic) for many of his opinions on matters. Such things are quite damaging to a claim of troll in this instance. Not directed at you but most of the time the problems people have with him seen to be because what is good business and what is good gaming (from the staunchy traditionalist mindset inhabited by most sorts of people that would self identify as gamers anyway) are not always the same thing and most of the latter group would not know good business after it happened and it was being explained to them.

Credibility wise he is a paid lead analyst for a massive finance and related matters firm with him being specifically tasked with following games and related industries. You do not tend to get that far if you are wrong all the time. I am hardly going to attribute "seer" status to him but I can see valuing his opinion more than that of most games journalists (though that is a different matter as most games journalists would not know the meaning of the word).

I doubt I will be sharing a beer with him by choice if I had the chance but by no means can I dismiss him or work myself up to proper negative feelings about him.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This thread is a fantastic example of how stupid and pathetically fanboyish this forum really can be.

I don't mind - I love watching Gold in the making. :yay:

I'd sure hate to look silly in your eyes.
That was a piece of very general advice, it applies to any and all conversations. Adressing a statement without knowing the statement is a pretty silly thing to do here in the normal world.
He seems to have provided reasons (drawn from analysis and logic) for many of his opinions on matters. (...)
Credibility wise he is a paid lead analyst for a massive finance and related matters firm with him being specifically tasked with following games and related industries.(...) by no means can I dismiss him or work myself up to proper negative feelings about him.

"No, no, no FAST - you don't understand! He criticized Nintendo (or so I heard, I didn't actually listen) so obviously he's wrong and everything he says is witchcraft." :rolleyes:

Reactions: TripleSMoon

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I just want to leave my 2 cents here.

Yup he is right indeed. The WiiU does not have a lot of games.

The thing here is that the majority of the people that buy Nintendo hardware, they DON'T buy it to play GTA, Battlefield, or even FIFA. They buy it to play Nintendo games, and other "smaller" third party games.

So contrary to the video: Why would I want to pay 50$ MORE to buy a PS4 and play what I already play on my god damned computer? With worse graphics and gameplay?

And even if I didnt have a computer that could play those, I'm still pretty tired of those games.

I usually go for Nintendo because it is generally different.

Of course, you can argument that Nintendo is the same, since they release the same Mario games over and over again. Yes. True.

The difference is, when I want to play something Nintendo, I play WiiU or Nintendo 3DS. Whenever I want to play what 80% of PS4 or XboxOne have to offer (such as those titles), I boot up my computer and play it.

So I respectfully, disagree.

But it all comes down to preferences in the end.

I will probably buy WiiU, Xbox One and perhaps even a PS4. But I am positive that if the titles that keep coming are more Halo, God of War, or Call of Duty, GTA, or Battlefield, the only system that will not have a coat of dust in my living room, will be the WiiU.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play Nintendo games, I go with Nintendo consoles and handhelds irrespective of the general consensus; they have their opinions as I have mine. I like to play other games as well, so I have Sony's consoles to take care of that. If I want a game with better graphics, I use my desktop.

Edit: 5000 posts....weird. :blink:

Reactions: WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I play Nintendo games, I go with Nintendo consoles and handhelds irrespective of the general consensus; they have their opinions as I have mine. I like to play other games as well, so I have Sony's consoles to take care of that. If I want a game with better graphics, I use my desktop.

Congrats :toot:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I am not quite sure what sort of response you expect to this.

If you like doing something and that something does not hurt people then fair enough. I mean we have people that like playing old games and things that look and play like old games and we tolerate those well enough.
However if the USN and similar such threads are anything to go by you frequently try to sell the rest of us on the lifestyle and not in an especially brilliant/convincing manner.

The thing here is that the majority of the people that buy Nintendo hardware, they DON'T buy it to play GTA, Battlefield, or even FIFA. They buy it to play Nintendo games, and other "smaller" third party games.

Maybe and maybe not (that is certainly not why I have a DS) but seen as this is a business thread the question was (after a fashion) "is such a scenario enough to sustain Nintendo or better yet have them shine with the present setup?".

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

So contrary to the video: Why would I want to pay 50$ MORE to buy a PS4 and play what I already play on my god damned computer? With worse graphics and gameplay?

And even if I didnt have a computer that could play those, I'm still pretty tired of those games.

I usually go for Nintendo because it is generally different.

Of course, you can argument that Nintendo is the same, since they release the same Mario games over and over again. Yes. True.

The difference is, when I want to play something Nintendo, I play WiiU or Nintendo 3DS. Whenever I want to play what 80% of PS4 or XboxOne have to offer (such as those titles), I boot up my computer and play it.

So I respectfully, disagree.

But it all comes down to preferences in the end.

I will probably buy WiiU, Xbox One and perhaps even a PS4. But I am positive that if the titles that keep coming are more Halo, God of War, or Call of Duty, GTA, or Battlefield, the only system that will not have a coat of dust in my living room, will be the WiiU.
I'm an avid Nintendo fan, and yes I will continue to buy Nintendo consoles. But to say that Nintendo fans don't buy Nintendo consoles to play GTA and the like, while technically true, is a bit misleading. Of course we (at least we who are willing to face the reality of the situation) buy the Wii and Wii U (at least today) mostly for first and second party games because we know most AAA third party games won't make it to Nintendo's console. But that doesn't mean we don't seriously wish they WOULD. I don't know about you, but as a Nintendo fan, I'm sick of having to pop down $700+ for two consoles just to get my dose of both Nintendo and great third party games. When the Wii U launched, I was hopeful that I would only need one system this generation, but now I'm resigned to the fact that this almost certainly won't be the case.

Which leads to your PC example. So many people don't own gaming PCs, so even if they did go that route, that's still technically a second gaming platform that they have to spend money on aside from Nintendo's console. Sure, maybe that situation doesn't apply to you and select other people who like Nintendo and already own gaming PCs, but it sure as heck applies to many other people, myself included.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Maybe and maybe not (that is certainly not why I have a DS) but seen as this is a business thread the question was (after a fashion) "is such a scenario enough to sustain Nintendo or better yet have them shine with the present setup?".

Well it has been enough for most of their systems hasen't it?

I may be wrong. The WiiU may fail catastrophically. But at least it tried to do things a little bit differently, without resorting to the same old Call of Duty and GTA games.

I'm an avid Nintendo fan, and yes I will continue to buy Nintendo consoles. But to say that Nintendo fans don't buy Nintendo consoles to play GTA and the like, while technically true, is a bit misleading. Of course we (at least we who are willing to face the reality of the situation) buy the Wii and Wii U (at least today) mostly for first and second party games because we know most AAA third party games won't make it to Nintendo's console. But that doesn't mean we don't seriously wish they WOULD. I don't know about you, but as a Nintendo fan, I'm sick of having to pop down $700+ for two consoles just to get my dose of both Nintendo and great third party games. When the Wii U launched, I was hopeful that I would only need one system this generation, but now I'm resigned to the fact that this almost certainly won't be the case.

Which leads to your PC example. So many people don't own gaming PCs, so even if they did go that route, that's still technically a second gaming platform that they have to spend money on aside from Nintendo's console. Sure, maybe that situation doesn't apply to you and select other people who like Nintendo and already own gaming PCs, but it sure as heck applies to many other people, myself included.

I do understand your concern. However I believe the mistake you make, is to to expect that you can play everything with a single system.The way I see it (unfortunately) that will never happen.

Let me put it this way:

While you like the play the big name titles such as those I named before, why are you a Nintendo fan then? Why do you keep buying their systems?

I believe that may be due to something. All in all, you need your "Nintendo" dose. Exactly like me. So they must be doing something right. I think that what they are doing right, is exactly that: offer something different from the rest. That was the case with the Nintendo DS, that was the case with the Wii, and that will be the case with the WiiU.

Also, before things start to go this way, let me tell you all right away, that I'm NO Nintendo fan. They have done a lot of things that annoy me and still do. I would also like "Battlefield" on WiiU so I could blow some heads up now and then. But I already know, Nintendo generally does not "swing" that way.

As such, I keep my PC for that. Also, my computer is not a gaming computer. I have a simple desktop. I just buy a sufficient powered graphics card, pop it in there, and I'm good to go.

So even in monetary terms, it is still a better choice since I have a fully functional computer for all my PC needs, AND a gaming machine. So even if it costs 200$ or 300$ more than a PS4/XboxOne, don't forget that it does what they do, better, and all the other computer related tasks too such as work, internet, etc.

To my eyes, and to a certain degree, a PC + WiiU, "eliminates" the need for a XboxOne / PS4.

Of course if you like titles that only PS4 or Xbone have, by all means, buy them.

Reactions: Black-Ice

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The Wii U is a scam as-is now . Maybe if it'd be cheaper, the world, would be better.

Plus, upped Wii parts (that were improved since 2000-2001 on the GC) for $350

The console gets mediocre 1st party support (because on franchises like Pokemon, most users BEGGED for a Pokemon Stadium 3 that would even sell more DS's and Wii's), PBR isn't that bad, but.. meh, while on the others, the usual zelda (always well appreciated), mario games.

Of course the software is what we're paying right now, so now i'm buying every 3DS game I like.

Nintendo should follow Namco-way of designing games, creating series (tales, tekken), and supporting their fanbase. If not, then Project X Zone wouldn't have been a reality in NA/ worldwide. Capcom does help by creating content for Nintendo too.(and trust me, much more, than creating a new super mario xx world on the yy console)

Nintendo:
you should:
Focus on software titles, improve 3DS online, improve 3DS & Wii U connectivity( ie: making online sharing and live rooms of miis)

you should not:
charge $100 for a piece of plastic, like wii fit
scam users by buying the same old shit, improved, at least, lower the price, you're not apple.
think you can do all your own way. support your worlwide fan base. give something they want!

Reactions: WhiteMaze

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well it has been enough for most of their systems hasn't it?

I may be wrong. The WiiU may fail catastrophically. But at least it tried to do things a little bit differently, without resorting to the same old Call of Duty and GTA games.

I have no great issue with COD and GTA but that is probably a different discussion.
Most of their systems but times are changing and being able to scrape by might get an awful lot harder so how much can we really look to the past here?

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nintendo:
you should:
Focus on software titles, improve 3DS online, improve 3DS & Wii U connectivity( ie: making online sharing and live rooms of miis

I agree.

Nintendo should follow Namco-way of designing games, creating series (tales, tekken), and supporting their fanbase.

I too agree. But that applies not only to Nintendo, but to Microsoft and Sony too, unfortunately.

EDIT:

I have no great issue with COD and GTA but that is probably a different discussion.
Most of their systems but times are changing and being able to scrape by might get an awful lot harder so how much can we really look to the past here?

Well my friend, I guess only time will tell..

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The WiiU appears to have loads of games if you look at the 360 and PS3 for the same market period from launch.

p88VG37.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL