Passcard 3 First Look!

jeffkong

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The PassCard 3 works with the EZ-Flash IV, SuperCard, M3 & EZ-Flash III. Anyone saying otherwise is spreading FUD.

do you know if it works with EFA carts, I assume it does (a list of compatibility should be in the review to avoid future confusion)

also for the person who mentioned kicktrading, where is it, and how much?

philthy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The PassCard 3 works with the EZ-Flash IV, SuperCard, M3 & EZ-Flash III. Anyone saying otherwise is spreading FUD.

I'm glad to hear it works with the Supercard. I ordered a Supercard mini-sd before I the Passcard 3.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
.... acctually i think this is rediculess, every passcard maker is proudly telling "works fine in sleepmode" but for us, the smart one, it's just to flash the DS and put a DS game in the DS slot to get sleepmode working...

all the passcards are so expensive so why buy one, when you can get the same opportunities with just flashing and put a game in the DS slot ;D

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Nope, http://www.sosuke.com/ezflash/viewtopic.php?t=1073 it's not working ... also if you read the threads on the Passcard3 in the EZIV section of that site it's now said to not work on EZIV either, even though for the last week we were told it was already tested and working.

EZ sucks
No, actually that means that the Passcard 3 sucks. If it's true at all which I doubt.

ZildjianKX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.... acctually i think this is rediculess, every passcard maker is proudly telling "works fine in sleepmode" but for us, the smart one, it's just to flash the DS and put a DS game in the DS slot to get sleepmode working...

all the passcards are so expensive so why buy one, when you can get the same opportunities with just flashing and put a game in the DS slot ;D

Umm, you buy a passcard to flash it... it's not like wifime works with newer DSes.

xenon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Same thing I was thinking... Passkey for the flashing and a game for the sleep mode (even if it's an obscure ebay bargain) cost more than a Passcard 3 or Superkey, not to mention the warranty issues.

litesaber

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
okay, i'm planning to get a EZ4 lite and also a passcard 3 to flash my ds lite.
I'm so confused as to which works with what...
but just another question, do i really need a pass card if I have a DS game in order to flash the lite?

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
okay, i'm planning to get a EZ4 lite and also a passcard 3 to flash my ds lite.
I'm so confused as to which works with what...
but just another question, do i really need a pass card if I have a DS game in order to flash the lite?

You will need a passcard of some sort, even if you plan to 'flashme' the DS firmware. So hold on a day or so for confirmation.

pastrami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashme is safer because it has a fail safe feature into the firmware, meaning if someone released an app/game with malicious code, instead of corrupting and bricking your DS, a DS with flashme can be restored back to normal.

Flashme is convenient because it removes the health and safety screen.

Also once you have flashme on there you don't need any sort of passcard anymore... so with one passcard and flashcart you and all your friends could have DSes with flashme on and capable of playing backups/homebrew.

EDIT - Beaten to it! Doh! xD

smile.gif

Hey guys, new to the board and new to the NDS scene
smile.gif

I've been doing a lot of reading trying to catch up, one question that popped up was the mention of Flashme? Is that a firmware or something that you can buy instead of the Passcard 3?

From Darkforce's post, it seems like picking 'Flashme' is a no brainer, but I wasn't sure if it is a firmware or it replaces the Passcard3.

Last question, for a noob, which is the best combination, a Passcard3 and a Supercard SD? Or something else? Thanks in adv guys!

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes it's firmware for the DS and it negates the use of a passcard device.

BUT, you need a passcard type device at least once to be able to install the firmware.

yep.. chicken and the egg

pastrami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it's firmware for the DS and it negates the use of a passcard device.

BUT, you need a passcard type device at least once to be able to install the firmware.Â

yep.. chicken and the egg

Cool, thanks for reply!

So if I have a regular DS, the way to setup the DS to play homebrew games, mp3s, movies, etc. is to upgrade the firmware to Flashme(where can I dl this btw) using a passcard type device, like the Passcard3.

Once I have the Flashme firmware installed, would I then need a Supercard mini SD? So the Passcard3 will only be used once, while the Supercard miniSD is used everytime I want to read from the SD card? Sorry still trying to wrap my head around all these different modules.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'd suggest you get the dspassme.com or the cheapest PassMe you can get. Remember to get a PassMe 2 if your DS is a newer model. You can find out if you need it by reading this: http://www.ndshb.com/modules.php?name=Cont...showpage&pid=33 A PassMe 2 requires the use of an official gamecard. If you get a Passcard/NoPass type device, you don't need that.
For the GBA slot the Supercard is the best/cheapest choice for DS games. It's not perfect for GBA games, though. If you want GBA games, an M3 or the new Supercard Mini SD would probably be better. If you mainly want DS games, a Supercard SD or CF will be enough.

pastrami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd suggest you get the dspassme.com or the cheapest PassMe you can get. Remember to get a PassMe 2 if your DS is a newer model. You can find out if you need it by reading this: http://www.ndshb.com/modules.php?name=Cont...showpage&pid=33 A PassMe 2 requires the use of an official gamecard. If you get a Passcard/NoPass type device, you don't need that.
For the GBA slot the Supercard is the best/cheapest choice for DS games. It's not perfect for GBA games, though. If you want GBA games, an M3 or the new Supercard Mini SD would probably be better. If you mainly want DS games, a Supercard SD or CF will be enough.

Thanks OrR, I'll get the cheapest PassMeX device that would work with my DS.

I was reading the SuperCard guide (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=29411
) and at the end it mentions -
"The Nintendo DS should boot straight into the SuperCard GUI. If it doesn't, make sure your SuperCard adapter, SD card, PassMe device and NDS game card are all inserted securely."

I thought once, you had the 'Flashme' firmware installed, all you need is the Supercard miniSD plugged and your set to go. I'm not sure why it says you still need the PassMe device or the NDS game card. The game card ROM should be in the miniSD card which should be in the Supercard right?

Another guide mentions -- http://www.monroeworld.com/ds/hacking/updatelite.php; it's a guide for a DS lite, but I'm assuming it's the same for a regular DS?
Note: As a bonus, when your DS is flashme'ed, its impossible for it to become PERMANENTLY bricked (by a trojan or future bad firmware upgrade). Its ALWAYS recoverable (not with a Supercard, but with a GBA Flash cart - so don't throw that cart away!)

When they refer to 'a GBA Flash cart' do they mean the PassMe device?

Thanks again for the help and quick responses, much appreciated!
bow.gif

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country

Umm, you buy a passcard to flash it... it's not like wifime works with newer DSes.

oh, sorry, i forgot ;P but anyway,why buy a expensive one when there is cheap ones ^^
or you can borrow a passme from a friend
wink.gif

ZildjianKX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

oh, sorry, i forgot ;P but anyway,why buy a expensive one when there is cheap ones ^^
or you can borrow a passme from a friend
wink.gif

Well, for me, none of my friends have a DS yet, so I guess I'll be loaning my Passcard out
smile.gif

Right now I don't have a NDS flash card, just an old Flash Advance Pro for the GBA and figured a Passcard 3 would be easier to use with it on a DS Lite since you don't have to write an data files to to get it to work like a Passcard 2. I also plan on using it just for homebrew, so I don't want to buy a game/demo to use with it like for a Passcard 2.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
A GBA flashcart would be used in the GBA slot instead of the Supercard. Most of the old GBA backup devices work with PassMe or FlashMe to run DS games. In fact, the Supercard is just that.
The first guide just seems to leave out FlashMe, once you've got FlashMe installed, you can keep your PassMe at home (or sell it on ebay or whatever).
More info about FlashMe can be found here: http://www.dspassme.com/FlashMe.shtml
FlashMe would normally be here but it seems to be down atm: http://ds.gcdev.com/dsfirmware

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P