MFDC12

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, I recently bought a ds lite again - I sold my previous one about 10 or so years ago but (obviously) kept my acekard 2.1 + ez flash 3 in 1 with the slim form factor. Acekard booted up immediately, but my 3 in 1 could not be recognized at all. Both have been stored in a box for, oh I don't know, many years so they haven't really been touched at all.

I opened it up and it looked like there was a huge amount of gunk on the contacts. I spent about 10 minutes cleaning them with some isopropyl and a qtip and I got a good majority of it off, but alas there is stuff that just isn't coming off.

1657582276964.png
1657582302445.png

To me, it looks like it's sorta stripping or corroding, but I really don't know, but it's pretty clear to me isopropyl and a q tip just isnt enough for this. My phone isn't that great so sorry for the crummy pics.

Anyways, my question is, is there any way this thing could be salvaged/anything else I can try? My other 3 in 1 (the "fat"/full form model) works fine for now but sticks out (which really bugs me) and if worst comes to worse I have a omega I can put the ds lite front plate on but at the cost of it not being rumble/expansion/work directly with a slot 1 card. Thanks in advance!

Maxwellp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use alcohol and a toothbrush instead. Make sure that corrosion or gunk is actually on top and not the gold pin receding. If it's missing part of the gold contacts, it would be a more difficult repair.

Edit, actually what's going on with that diagonal part above c25? Is that even attached anymore?

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser. It works better than just alcohol. If that still doesn't do it fold paper over the contact edge and rub it against the contacts until the paper no longer darkens. Keep in mind this is abrasive so don't do this unless you can't get the gunk off any other way.

When finished give it another rub with alcohol to remove any residue (the eraser will leave some behind).

MFDC12

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice all, still no luck - with a toothbrush or eraser or paper - nothing seems to be getting any of it off and still not recognized in the ds.

I also did notice that this looks a little off while trying the toothbrush (picture taken from original thread)
1657813996111.png

This was from the first image, not after any of this stuff - it looks like that is peeling off, but based on the thread @zxr750j posted that's definitely not normal (also thanks for that link, got some massive nostalgia on that thread cause I remember looking at that when it was posted lol)

Reactions: zxr750j

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs