Partition problems

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Waflix, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Waflix
    OP

Waflix El Psy Congroo

Dec 17, 2010
    Netherlands
    Hello 'Tempers.

I finally have my own PC. I started Xubuntu from a flash drive, installed it to my Hard Drive and deleted Windows XP.
    But after a short while I found out that my PC doesn't meet the requirements for Xubuntu. So now I want to format my PC (yet again) and use Linux Slax as my main OS.
    To do so, I picked up my Slax Live CD, put it in the PC and booted the PC with it. I finally heard the log-on music (in contradiction to what I said in one of my first topics) and tried to access my Hard Drive at /dev/hda1. But instead of receiving my (precious) files I received an error:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1.
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmseg | tail or so[/p]

So I tried what it said (use the command 'dmesg') and then I received a relative huge message. My attention fell on this sentence (it was there 4 times):
    EXT3-fs: hda1: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240).[/p]

I searched Google to find out more, and it suggested me to change the fs from EXT3 to EXT4. I just couldn't manage to do that, until my friend asked me which version I was using (Linux Slax 6.1.2) and he told me that Slax doesn't support EXT4.
    After that I tried formatting the whole drive with the 'fdisk' function. So I tried 'fdisk /dev/hda1' and I received my wished menu. But there didn't seem to be any partitions. It's completely empty. I have a Hard Drive without any partitions, but with files on it.

What could I do to format my computer and use Slax as my OS after that. (And I know I can just drag and drop the files into the HDD).

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Gparted?

3. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    If you still have the Xubuntu bootable medium, you can used the included GParted to make an EXT3 filesystem.

4. Waflix
    OP

Waflix El Psy Congroo

Dec 17, 2010
    Netherlands
    I have solved it.
    To achieve this I have used this site.
    All I actually had to do was enter the command...
    /sbin/mke2fs -j /dev/hda1[/p]