Homebrew (Partial) Idea For a 5.5.2 Exploit

Wolfer473

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so before you ignore this I've already asked some devs in the discord server and they said that this might be doable but there are some issues that could (maybe) be solved.

THEORY: The eShop uses the same mvplayer.rpl in 5.5.2 that the internet browser used in 5.5.1, and the eShop also has JIT. So theoretically, the Exploit video should work in the eShop.

ISSUES:
1) Unlike Crunchyroll ads, the eShop uses an SSL connection with the servers, so it would be extremely hard (if not impossible) to remap a video (i.e. The Super Mario Cat Show that you can play/watch in the eShop.) to the exploit .mp4.

2) This is still untested, so even after all of that work fixing the SSL, it might not work. (i.e missing an essential library item, code execution failing, video player has a different patch from internet browser, etc.)

3) I was thinking of attempting to redirect the eShop to a custom server where we could play the exploit .mp4, but (again curse SSL) that would either require remapping to redirect the Wii U or maybe changing the URL using FTPii and going into the title information, but that would require access to the Homebrew launcher, which kind of defeats the purpose.

So I wanted to put this theory out there in case anyone can come up with a solution to these problems, or to tell me it can't be done so I stop working on it.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170814-121636.png
    Screenshot_20170814-121636.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 325
Last edited by Wolfer473,

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so before you ignore this I've already asked some devs in the discord server and they said that this might be doable but there are some issues that could (maybe) be solved.

THEORY: The eShop uses the same mvplayer.rpl in 5.5.2 that the internet browser used in 5.5.1, and the eShop also has JIT. So theoretically, the Exploit video should work in the eShop.

ISSUES:
1) Unlike Crunchyroll ads, the eShop uses an SSL connection with the servers, so it would be extremely hard (if not impossible) to remap a video (i.e. The Super Mario Cat Show that you can play/watch in the eShop.) to the exploit .mp4.

2) This is still untested, so even after all of that work fixing the SSL, it might not work. (i.e missing an essential library item, code execution failing, video player has a different patch from internet browser, etc.)

3) I was thinking of attempting to redirect the eShop to a custom server where we could play the exploit .mp4, but (again curse SSL) that would either require remapping to redirect the Wii U or maybe changing the URL using FTPii and going into the title information, but that would require access to the Homebrew launcher, which kind of defeats the purpose.

So I wanted to put this theory out there in case anyone can come up with a solution to these problems, or to tell me it can't be done so I stop working on it.

Thanks for reading.
as shown by crunchyroll and watchup, not all mvplayers are the same. if you figure out (somehow) how to remap a video, i'll be willing to give it a try though.

Last edited by iAqua,
Reactions: Wolfer473

Wolfer473

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as shown by crunchyroll and watchup, not all mvplayers are the same. if you figure out (somehow) how to remap a video, i'll be willing to give it a try though.

Yeah, but I figured Nintendo would want to save as much time as possible developing those apps, and since there both in the same group (can be run while software is suspended) that they would save time and use the same mvplayer. If you would be willing to give it a try please do because I'm kind of stuck right now.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, but I figured Nintendo would want to save as much time as possible developing those apps, and since there both in the same group (can be run while software is suspended) that they would save time and use the same mvplayer. If you would be willing to give it a try please do because I'm kind of stuck right now.
i'm not a magician, and i certainly can't fake a ssl cert. redirecting will be up to you or anyone else really wanting to try this. sorry.

Wolfer473

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not a magician, and i certainly can't fake a ssl cert. redirecting will be up to you or anyone else really wanting to try this. sorry.
K thanks anyway. I know that the redirecting of SSL is almost impossible, and I should probably be the one screwing around with it since it was my theory.

Reactions: iAqua

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: