Pang Magical Michael - look for text

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by matt!, May 9, 2016.

1. matt!
    OP

matt! GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2009
    Hi,

I have dumped the NDS file from my cartridge and have explored it using Console Tool.

I can see various graphics and colour palettes, duplicated for the big 5 european languages.

However, the text I am looking for - the Awards List (think of them as Achievements or Trophies) - has evaded me so far, even though I suspect it will also be present in the 5 languages?

You can see many awards, including "Certified Champion - Perfect Cleared all areas in Area Challenge of Tour Mode", presented in this play through:
    (which does not show all awards)

But there is a list in the "Lounge" area of the game where you can see all awards you have unlocked.
    In the NDS filesystem the awards graphics are in file salon_02_sita_parts_LZ.bin

Any ideas which files I be looking in for the text tables? The main arm9 binary?

Any help appreciated!

I am missing a few awards and I really need help to finish this game after 6 years!!!

Thanks

Last edited by matt!, May 9, 2016
  2. DarthNemesis

DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    Found those strings in overlay9_0002.bin after decompressing it.

matt! likes this.
  3. matt!
    OP

matt! GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2009
    Nice! Thanks so much.

I'll take a look.

Last edited by matt!, May 9, 2016
  4. DarthNemesis

DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 19, 2008
    United States
    I used my own BatchLZ77, but crystaltile2 works fine and has a lot of other useful features.

As for finding text, I used AstroGrep set to Unicode encoding, which is the most common for DS games (particularly international releases).

Last edited by DarthNemesis, May 9, 2016
    matt! likes this.
  5. matt!
    OP

matt! GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2009
    I've been using Console Tool. I'll try that first, and your suggestions otherwise.

6. matt!
    OP

matt! GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2009
    CrystalTile 2 let me get at the file and then I used Hex Editor with Unicode encoding view to verify contents. Then I used iconv Mac command line tool to convert the file from Unicode to UTF8 so I can more easily read it.

7. matt!
    OP

matt! GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2009
    I extracted image of all award icons using Tinke, which should help me figure out the correct order of awards as they are listed in the game.