Homebrew PandaSokoban

  • Thread starter Thread starter qdmware
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 286
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Likes Likes 3

qdmware

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Aug 23, 2026
Messages
10
Reaction score
16
Trophies
0
Age
30
XP
36
Country
France
Hi,

I'm writing a thread about a game I'm making, v1.0.2 is out today and with it lots of new things.

First of all, the game is a cutesy panda themed Sokoban game. For those who don't know, sokoban is a game where you move crates in a warehouse solely by pushing them, it's a very old puzzle game I grew up with and many people made theur own levels and variants.
I wanted to give it my spin, and so I did, building it to my favorite handheld.

Game is a free download, works on PSP with official firmware or not, on PPSSPP though some assets do not scale very well yet.

You can find it here: https://qdmware.itch.io/panda-sokoban
Please give me some feedback if you play it!

New in v1.0.2:

- Signed EBOOT.PBP making the game playable on OFW
- Translations: English, Spanish, German, French
- Move hints for when it gets tough
- Groupped levels so you can decide to skip the ones you don't like
- Various QoL improvements



Capture d'écran_20260921_195511.pngCapture d'écran_20260921_195653.pngCapture d'écran_20260921_195817.png
 
Nice!! I've been looking for a good, native PSP Sokoban port lately, and this one might be just it! Looks and plays very well. Everything's there: level hints, undo moves, level restart, etc.

The only shortcoming right now is that it's hard to tell visually whether a baby panda is on a target square or not. The difference is just too subtle. ouldn't you perhaps draw the purple pillows a bit larger so they peek out from under the pandas?
 
  • Like
Reactions: qdmware
Nice!! I've been looking for a good, native PSP Sokoban port lately, and this one might be just it! Looks and plays very well. Everything's there: level hints, undo moves, level restart, etc.

The only shortcoming right now is that it's hard to tell visually whether a baby panda is on a target square or not. The difference is just too subtle. ouldn't you perhaps draw the purple pillows a bit larger so they peek out from under the pandas?
Hello, thanks for trying it out !

That is indeed a pain point I've been having, I did the IPS mod on my PSP 1000 so with the crisper colors it's somewhat easier to tell than before and I put it aside. I'm planning to cross port it to 3ds, desktop and switch though and the 3ds has a slightly lower res so it's definitely in the pipes.
I'm not sure what I'll decide on but yeah the snore bubbles just aren't enough, that's very valuable input. Thank you. I'll keep you posted when I update this.
Post automatically merged:

Nice!! I've been looking for a good, native PSP Sokoban port lately, and this one might be just it! Looks and plays very well. Everything's there: level hints, undo moves, level restart, etc.

The only shortcoming right now is that it's hard to tell visually whether a baby panda is on a target square or not. The difference is just too subtle. ouldn't you perhaps draw the purple pillows a bit larger so they peek out from under the pandas?
Hi again, as part of the broader cross platform WIP the project has been renamed from PandaSokoban PSP to Panda Push Haven. You can find it here: https://qdmware.itch.io/panda-push-haven

With it I bumped it to 1.0.3 with various quality of life improvements:

- Better looking hints
- Target square easier to spot when sleeping panda babies rest on them

I hope you'll this update fixes that problem for you, if not don't hesitate to tell me.
 
Last edited by qdmware,
  • Like
Reactions: Jumpman_DK
Thank you!!
Yeah that's already a lot better. It’s also great that my old save file is compatible with this new version!

Here's some further feedback on minor design issues:
- occupied pillows now appear to be slightly bigger and have a darker purple tone than unoccupied pillows
- on the title screen the upper box seems to have slipped like 3-4 pixel too low (the bottom drop shadow is not fully visible)
- the first three rows of the title are not properly left-aligned - is that intentional?
 
  • Like
Reactions: qdmware
Thank you!!
Yeah that's already a lot better. It’s also great that my old save file is compatible with this new version!

Here's some further feedback on minor design issues:
- occupied pillows now appear to be slightly bigger and have a darker purple tone than unoccupied pillows
- on the title screen the upper box seems to have slipped like 3-4 pixel too low (the bottom drop shadow is not fully visible)
- the first three rows of the title are not properly left-aligned - is that intentional?
Thank you for the feedback!

The darker purple tone was intentional to make them feel kind of like a disabled button on a webpage, to carry the "you're good, crate is on target" feel but that might be off putting. I'll give it some time see if it still feels weird and I might change it.

Good catch for the title screen!
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted