Panasonic Q with a dead optical drive, need replacement

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by bungiefan, Jan 18, 2010.

1. bungiefan
    OP

Newcomer bungiefan Newbie

United States
    My optical drive has been grinding and taking a few minutes to load discs for the past year. Now it won't spin the discs at all. When I open the tray, the disc is in the same position as when I closed it, no matter how long I wait. I've got my GameBoy Player attached to it, and all my memory cards are the 1019 block ones that give me problems on the Wii, so I'd prefer to get the Q back up and running. I need a guide to opening the thing up, because I can't figure out on my own how to unhook the drive and get it out, and I could use help with what to replace the drive with once I do get it out. I'd rather know that part before taking the machine apart, so that I can reassemble it shortly after disassembling it.

2. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    same problem as gamecube & philips CDi players,

the spindle plastic bit slips down the motor shaft and scrapes on the plastic plate under it.

try to lift the spindle-plastic a mm with a flat knife or something.

3. bungiefan
    OP

Newcomer bungiefan Newbie

United States
    That assumes I can get the optical drive removed and opened, which I don't know how to do. I asked for at least a guide to opening the thing up to get that piece out.

4. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    There aren't some many Panasonic Q's around so I don't think a disassembling exists. Your best option is trying yourself or finding a guy/gal that has one ask them(over the internet, of course).

5. Abstract3000

Newcomer Abstract3000 Advanced Member

United States
    first off sorry to hear about that, really sucks I own a Q & the elusive GBA adaptor as well and know how much you spent and i would be devistated if I were in the same situation.
    So I have a suggestion and let me explain why, I dropped my Q about 2 yrs ago after that the drive would stop opening and close properly having to use a credit card to open it but eventually would just stop closing altogether, leading to it no longer reading discs. I had a repair man at my place working on my plasma and I brought it to his attention he said he would take a look at it and bring it back, well sure enough 2 weeks later he dropped it back by good as new. He told me the DVD drive itself was impossible to get Q parts for as panasonic wouldnt even talk to him about the Q as it was from japan but the parts turned out to be pretty standard to panasonics average DVD drives.

As for what the person said about gamecube and Cdi drives, ignore that the Panasonic Q was made by panasonic not Nintendo & not phillips the drives are just like regular DVD drives, I would contact a local electronics store who works on that type of stuff and have them take a look i think you would be surprised and after all you have nothing to lose.